• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

Why did they create gaps? Why not go with above or below 85% as a delineation?

My guess is that it eliminated big spread within the metals...So all golds are "kind" of close. The industry had to lobby for this though. At first, it was "gold was 80%" which would have created things like $423.41 deductibles and $11.32 copays.

My guess is that it eliminated big spread within the metals...So all golds are "kind" of close. The industry had to lobby for this though. At first, it was "gold was 80%" which would have created things like $423.41 deductibles and $11.32 copays.

Ah, within the designation not between the designations.

I NEVER said he couldn't go to the emergency room. He chose not to do it that way. He wasn't sure it was broken, but there is no reason he couldn't just go to his doctor immediately without the insurance company's permission.

As you have proven for over a decade, you'd always act like complete asshole rather than to try to carry on a civil discussion. It's always been about who and what you are.

I quote you: "Last he hurt his foot pretty badly. he insurance company waited and waited and waited. It took him a week of being pain before they would allow him to see a doctor for his broken foot."

So which is it, was he allowed to see a Dr. or not? Inquiring minds want to know.

And none of us can help it if your "buddy" has complete shit for brains.

Last edited:
CH, I had a surgery recently that occurred at an in-network hospital, by an in-network surgeon. Then the bill came, and the anesthesiologist that day wasn't in-network. Does that happen often?

This used to happen a lot with hospital based physicians ( anesthesiologists, radiologists, ED, and pathologists), but is happening less. The hospitals threaten the docs contracts if they don't go in. At least that is what has happened in North Texas over the last couple of years.

Reactions: ONW
This used to happen a lot with hospital based physicians ( anesthesiologists, radiologists, ED, and pathologists), but is happening less. The hospitals threaten the docs contracts if they don't go in. At least that is what has happened in North Texas over the last couple of years.

Good to know. Thanks.

A friend of mine thought he had excellent coverage. It has paid for many things,. Last he hurt his foot pretty badly. he insurance company waited and waited and waited. It took him a week of being pain before they would allow him to see a doctor for his broken foot.

So, you've got $500 for bar tabs, but won't take your "friend" to a doc in the box for an Xray and a cast. Instead you let him suffer for a week while insurance company goons stand outside his door, preventing him from going to the doctor.

Good Friend.

here's another way in which the US is failing at healthcare. Most Euros get to see a doctor faster than we do, despite the horrors of socialized medicine. http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/11/universal-healthcare-doesnt-mean-waiting-longer-to-see-a-doctor/281614/

A few months ago I was thinking that the failure of ACA might lead to single payer, but it may be that the fallout and loss of faith in government from the ACA debacle might push the electorate in a different direction. What that direction might be I don't know but I hope it involves some work on the supply side of medicine instead of just the demand side.

here's another way in which the US is failing at healthcare. Most Euros get to see a doctor faster than we do, despite the horrors of socialized medicine. http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/11/universal-healthcare-doesnt-mean-waiting-longer-to-see-a-doctor/281614/

A few months ago I was thinking that the failure of ACA might lead to single payer, but it may be that the fallout and loss of faith in government from the ACA debacle might push the electorate in a different direction. What that direction might be I don't know but I hope it involves some work on the supply side of medicine instead of just the demand side.

Me too.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/11/19/woman-cited-by-president-as-obamacare-success-story-frustrated-by-sign-up-process/

"The president said Sanford's story was proof, despite the technical problems with the healthcare.gov website, that the Affordable Care Act was working.

"That's what the Affordable Care Act is all about. The point is, the essence of the law - the health insurance that's available to people - is working just fine," Obama said.

But then, after Obama mentioned her story, Sanford started having problems. Sanford said she received another letter informing her the Washington state health exchange had miscalculated her eligibility for a tax credit..."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/11/19/woman-cited-by-president-as-obamacare-success-story-frustrated-by-sign-up-process/

"The president said Sanford's story was proof, despite the technical problems with the healthcare.gov website, that the Affordable Care Act was working.

"That's what the Affordable Care Act is all about. The point is, the essence of the law - the health insurance that's available to people - is working just fine," Obama said.

But then, after Obama mentioned her story, Sanford started having problems. Sanford said she received another letter informing her the Washington state health exchange had miscalculated her eligibility for a tax credit..."

Ouch on a couple of letters. First, it didn't work. Second, they thought it did work for a while until the realized the web site gave out bad info. to her. Ouch.

Agreed on supply side comment.

Supply meaning, more doctors, more availability of care, less expensive/wasteful care. Getting rid of stupid CON laws would be a good start.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Back