Page 8 of 401 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858108 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 8004

Thread: ACA Running Thread

  1. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    The GOP is threatening to shut the government to de-fund ACA.

    http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...over-obamacare

    Obama and the Dems need to sack up and call them out on it. There are several million seniors (who do vote in off year elections) who have saved tens of billions via ACA who would oppose this policy.

    There are allegedly 1-2M 21-26 yos who are still on their parents' policies. They would be outraged if this was rescinded.

    Millions of others support the concept of no lifetime limits.

    For once Obama and the Dems should go on offense. For once they should call the GOP out at the top of their lungs.

    But they won't. They are wusses.
    All of those people have been there the past 5 years, and the ACA has never had any material support from anyone except Obama and those in Congress who didn't bother to read it. Why would they suddenly support it now?

  2. #142
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Actually those people do support it.

    More would if Obama and the Dems weren't such pussies.

  3. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by 09deaconX View Post
    Although I have an idea on a few of them, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on where this would lead us.
    I think we'd see two big things.

    First, we'd se a drop in competition. With the feds regulating the market they also compete in, carriers would likely drop out. One of the hidden secrets of the ACA is that there are ~35% fewer carriers selling on the exchange that sell today. This is largely a result of the new rules, regs, processes that CMS has put in. I suspect a large # of carriers have no desire to sell products that are defined by and essentially priced by a competitor.

    Second, and this has been well discussed, a public option could disrupt the provider payment market. Medicare sets a blew market reimbursement rate in many, many markets resulting in cost shifting to private customers. This option would be incredibly disruptive and could end private primary insurance.

    The "Medicare For all" or "Public Option" is just fallacy. If you supper this, just go full on Single Payer and defend that. And the idea of buying Medicare and a supplement is beyond a bad idea. We need to insure risk, not finance every out of pocket expense. Thats no way to control costs.

    Of course, Medicare wouldn't quality as a compliant plan given todays new rules. Kind of ironic eh?

  4. #144
    I just have to remind folks that nothing is free. Any medicare benefit that was expanded was paid for by someone. And lets not forget that Part D is 75% subsidized. And Srs didn't pay into Part D. We largely gave it to them. I won't pass judgment on that.

  5. #145
    Historically Competitive
    Wrangor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mississippi Delta
    Posts
    12,429
    Quote Originally Posted by CHDeac View Post
    I just have to remind folks that nothing is free.
    Good luck with that.

  6. #146
    Older than Dirt WFU71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The 'Noke
    Posts
    4,322
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-on-obamacare/

    "Just after the law was passed in 2010, fully 74 percent of moderate and conservative Democrats supported the federal law making changes to the health-care system. But just 46 percent express support in the new poll, down 11 points in the past year."

  7. #147
    Older than Dirt WFU71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The 'Noke
    Posts
    4,322
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...ORDS=obamacare

    "...The real news is that New York ruined its individual insurance market two decades ago by imposing the same regulations that ObamaCare is about to impose on every other state..."
    Last edited by WFU71; 07-24-2013 at 09:07 AM.

  8. #148
    http://indianapublicmedia.org/news/i...verage-52840/#

    The Indiana Department of Insurance says individual Hoosiers purchasing health insurance will see their premiums increase by an average of 72 percent next year when the Affordable Care Act takes effect, but the actual cost for many people could be lower.

    The state Department of Insurance says those purchasing health insurance next year – on their own, not through their employers – could see anywhere from a 250 percent cost increase to a 10 percent savings, translating to a 72 percent average increase. That is based on premium costs submitted by four insurance companies that will be part of a healthcare marketplace available to Hoosiers beginning next year.
    State Senator Jean Breaux, D-Indianapolis, says it is not fair for the department to put out the average number, considering many likely will not see an increase that high.

    “Without having any additional information, without having really a breakdown of what that’s going to be for the individual, that would scare me from purchasing insurance on the exchange,” he says.

    Department of Insurance Chief Deputy Logan Harrison says it is not possible to breakdown how much each individual Hoosier will pay at this point. He says the 72 percent figure does not take into account tax credits that will be available to Hoosiers who earn between 100 percent and 400 percent of the federal poverty level, a population he says is fairly wide.
    “For example, up to 400 percent of the federal poverty level for a family of four. That’s $97,000, roughly and some change,” he says.

    Harrison notes the tax credits will significantly reduce the individual cost, though only eligible Hoosiers who use the marketplace can receive the credits.
    Last edited by CHDeac; 11-04-2013 at 07:20 PM.

  9. #149
    Historically Competitive
    Wrangor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mississippi Delta
    Posts
    12,429
    The great point is that tax credits do not reduce cost. They just mask it. We are going to have tax credits galore and them when they run out no one will be able to afford insurance.

  10. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangor View Post
    The great point is that tax credits do not reduce cost. They just mask it. We are going to have tax credits galore and them when they run out no one will be able to afford insurance.
    You could say the same thing about the oil industry
    When in doubt, rub one out -BiffTannen

  11. #151
    Historically Competitive
    Wrangor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mississippi Delta
    Posts
    12,429
    I could, and furthermore, the Obama admin is trying to rid us of the oil subsidies (just like eventually the health care subsidies will go by the way side). I am not a huge proponent of oil subsidies anyway as clearly oil is doing very very well. If BP can have a massive spill and not really skip a beat you know big oil is just fine.


    However you observe or compare the situation, when the health care subsidies run their course the American people will be the ones left holding the check.

  12. #152
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangor View Post
    I could, and furthermore, the Obama admin is trying to rid us of the oil subsidies (just like eventually the health care subsidies will go by the way side). I am not a huge proponent of oil subsidies anyway as clearly oil is doing very very well. If BP can have a massive spill and not really skip a beat you know big oil is just fine.


    However you observe or compare the situation, when the health care subsidies run their course the American people will be the ones left holding the check.
    Aren't we always?
    When in doubt, rub one out -BiffTannen

  13. #153
    Historically Competitive
    Wrangor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mississippi Delta
    Posts
    12,429
    Quote Originally Posted by ONW View Post
    Aren't we always?
    Yes, except in this case ACA was championed as the savior just 5 years ago. During a period in which we could actually kill this thing it is amazing that we are going forth considering everyone can pretty much see how this is going to go down (Hint: we aren't addressing the only problem we should be focusing on....the cost of healthcare. As long as we ignore that our long term solutions will evade us because people simply cannot afford the cost of medicine. We can subsidize it for a time, but eventually those subsidies will run out and we will be in a worse situation with even less options).

  14. #154
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangor View Post
    I could, and furthermore, the Obama admin is trying to rid us of the oil subsidies (just like eventually the health care subsidies will go by the way side). I am not a huge proponent of oil subsidies anyway as clearly oil is doing very very well. If BP can have a massive spill and not really skip a beat you know big oil is just fine.


    However you observe or compare the situation, when the health care subsidies run their course the American people will be the ones left holding the check.
    There are only two times when healthcare subsidies will be abandoned. The first is if we have universal healthcare. The other is if there's a time when poverty doesn't exist.

  15. #155
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangor View Post
    Yes, except in this case ACA was championed as the savior just 5 years ago. During a period in which we could actually kill this thing it is amazing that we are going forth considering everyone can pretty much see how this is going to go down (Hint: we aren't addressing the only problem we should be focusing on....the cost of healthcare. As long as we ignore that our long term solutions will evade us because people simply cannot afford the cost of medicine. We can subsidize it for a time, but eventually those subsidies will run out and we will be in a worse situation with even less options).
    See every other industrialized country in the world.
    When in doubt, rub one out -BiffTannen

  16. #156
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangor View Post
    Yes, except in this case ACA was championed as the savior just 5 years ago. During a period in which we could actually kill this thing it is amazing that we are going forth considering everyone can pretty much see how this is going to go down (Hint: we aren't addressing the only problem we should be focusing on....the cost of healthcare. As long as we ignore that our long term solutions will evade us because people simply cannot afford the cost of medicine. We can subsidize it for a time, but eventually those subsidies will run out and we will be in a worse situation with even less options).
    Just like Benghazi when you refused to see the facts, ACA has you in the same position. It's been reported by the WSJ and others that since ACA was passed, we have seen less increases in medical costs than at any time in the past half century.

    Like everything else you don't like, you put false tags on ACA like was ever portrayed as the "savior". This blatantly and totally false. only RWers, the healthcare industry and haters of everything Obama have ever said such a thing. Proponents have said it is a "step" in the right direction. Once again don't let facts get in the way of your rant.

  17. #157
    Older than Dirt WFU71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The 'Noke
    Posts
    4,322
    http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch...-hits-new-high

    "The latest CBS survey found sharply negative attitudes about the healthcare law. Fifty-four percent of respondents said they disapprove of it, compared with just 36 percent who said they approve...Successful implementation, though, will depend largely on how many people — especially young, healthy people — enroll in the law's new coverage options. And sagging approval ratings could make the enrollment push more difficult"

    Young healthy people are the ones who will likely see the highest rate increases.
    Last edited by WFU71; 07-25-2013 at 09:20 AM.

  18. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by WFU71 View Post
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...ORDS=obamacare

    "...The real news is that New York ruined its individual insurance market two decades ago by imposing the same regulations that ObamaCare is about to impose on every other state..."
    Stunning.

  19. #159
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Quote Originally Posted by WFU71 View Post
    http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch...-hits-new-high

    "The latest CBS survey found sharply negative attitudes about the healthcare law. Fifty-four percent of respondents said they disapprove of it, compared with just 36 percent who said they approve...Successful implementation, though, will depend largely on how many people — especially young, healthy people — enroll in the law's new coverage options. And sagging approval ratings could make the enrollment push more difficult"

    Young healthy people are the ones who will likely see the highest rate increases.

    As I have been saying for three years, this is the massive failure of Obama and his WH. Their PR/education plan for ACA was abysmal. Then it got worse after passage.

    In CA young healthy people can be covered for under $40/month through the plan.

    That this is a problem is a humongous failure.

  20. #160
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    As I have been saying for three years, this is the massive failure of Obama and his WH. Their PR/education plan for ACA was abysmal. Then it got worse after passage.
    You can't polish a turd.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •