• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

Catch-22 really. Leave it on schedule and the implementation goes bad and people ask why wasn't it delayed and done right. Change it and it's because of the next election cycle. Sad state of affairs in today's political climate.

The employer mandate is clearly being delayed because of the next election cycle. That much became evident yesterday, and it's a fucking joke.

It's amazing that employers in every advanced nation on the planet are easily to afford participating in HC but US companies can't figure it out.

My bad, they can but don't want to.

Getting a job with no experience right now is not easy. BTW, I like the service idea. Perhaps it would help the greedy self-interest mentality plaguing this country.

I agree 100%. Mandatory Service. Three tracts:

1. Military
2. Human Aid
3. Education

Person can post pone service for up to 5 years for post high school education. Education tract must be preceded by college diploma, and must be applied for (only the best would be accepted). Would transform our Educational system, would give us unlimited numbers of young workers to give aid to the needy, and would change our view of the military and war if our sons and daughters could be sent overseas for a unnecessary war.

My dislike (and it is not a strong dislike, more of a disapproval) of the insurance extension is that it counteracts this mentality. It tells our youth 'you don't have to grow up...someone else will take care of your bills....you don't need to take responsibility yet). That is the message we continue to tell our children and then we wonder why they grow up to be self absorbed greedy pricks. Teach responsibility by requiring it.

No such thing as a free lunch, amirite Wrangor?

Somebody is paying for it, so I guess no.

reasoning for the 3 tracts as opposed to broader civil service areas? why limit it?

It's amazing that employers in every advanced nation on the planet are easily to afford participating in HC but US companies can't figure it out.

My bad, they can but don't want to.

Every other advanced nation isn't a nation of lardasses.

Every other advanced nation isn't a nation of lardasses.

totally irrelevant....they have been doing it for decades. It shows total incompetence and gross/immoral greed that our businesses don't do it and fight doing the right thing.

totally irrelevant....they have been doing it for decades. It shows total incompetence and gross/immoral greed that our businesses don't do it and fight doing the right thing.

And we've been fat for decades. The right thing would be for the lardasses to stop being lardasses and expecting that someone else cover the costs of their lardiness. Get rid of the diabetis, high blood pressure, cholesterol, and obesity problems (joint issues, arthritis, etc) and you'll see healthcare costs come down to much more manageable numbers for everyone involved.

You are so transparent. If everybody had 5% body fat and no one smoked, dank or did drugs, you'd oppose it.

It is not. The amount of power we allow the executive branch to exercise, with little question or oversight from Congress, is breathtaking. Why isn't Darrell Issa taking up the serious issues identified in the Cato article instead of chasing ghosts at the IRS? Why aren't any Democrats in Congress taking issue with the NSA scandal exposed by Snowden? Our elected representatives are fiddling while Rome burns.

It is not. The amount of power we allow the executive branch to exercise, with little question or oversight from Congress, is breathtaking. Why isn't Darrell Issa taking up the serious issues identified in the Cato article instead of chasing ghosts at the IRS? Why aren't any Democrats in Congress taking issue with the NSA scandal exposed by Snowden? Our elected representatives are fiddling while Rome burns.

Wrangor agrees

No but it does make some valid points. Mainly that the IRS does not have the right to delay the employer mandate a year.

There are certainly some "good things" from the ACA from an access side but virtually none from the cost side to date. But none of these are game changers.

I have some personal issues with the kids to 26 issue (we need to force employers to cover their employees employed kids?) but my personal feelings aside, it did cover more kids. However, the jury is out on its full impact on cost. Employers actually changed their contribution strategies which shifted costs back to employees and possibly resulted in others dropping (there has been a drop in participation during this same time). Every actuarial study I looked at showed it actually had no impact to the pool or a negative one (sicker kids buying in). So all it did was cost shift. Thats progress? And to suggest this makes the employer offer stronger is a stretch. Tread on this one carefully. Just like on the part time issue. See how many employees move people to PT as a result of the new rules.

The Part D doughnut hole is yet another misnomer. Low income seniors already received help with this prior to this change and all this did was to increase costs to other segments as well as shifting more even more benefits to Srs many of whom don't need it. Medicare is broken so what do we do? Give 'em more benefits! I actually love the doughnut hole from an actuarial view. Creates some interesting cost incentives & outcomes (i.e. many carriers covered generics in the hole....but now brands are covered so why switch?).

Removing lifetime caps is certainly a good thing but just added a little cost. Prior to this mandate, insurers would be selected against if they didn't have limits so most I know supported this change. No issues on this one but certainly not a game changer. Virtually no one hits their lifetime maxes on regular insurance to which this applied.

Im pretty sure Medicare was "offered" everywhere. There was some fixes to rural reimbursement but to make it sound like its now covering more people is mis-leading. Im not sure Id post this was a big win...Fixing the program that you manage already?

Note that most of the above things were carrier mandates and required very little gov't action other than saying go do this. The issues we see now are where the feds have to do something (build an exchange, track employer offerings). Thats not an encouraging sign, especially to people who support single payer.

One other side note...The feds are notorious for releasing stuff before big holidays/late on Fridays. They did it last Thanksgiving, XMas, Easter and Memorial Day. Add July 4th to the list!

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CHDeac again."

Gov. Bobby Jindal ✔ @BobbyJindal

You know things are bad when you can’t even successfully implement your own bad ideas.

Saw this in that other thread. Eviscerating.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323899704578583493972896364.html

"These columns fought the Affordable Care Act from start to passage, and we'd now like to apologize to our readers. It turns out we weren't nearly critical enough. The law's implementation is turning into a fiasco for the ages, and this week's version is the lawless White House decision to delay the law's insurance mandate for businesses, though not for individuals.

White House fixer Valerie Jarrett tried to contain the fallout with a separate blog post promising that ObamaCare is otherwise "staying the course." That's true only if she's referring to the carelessness and improvisation that have defined the law so far.

This selective enforcement of laws has become an Administration habit. From immigration (the Dream Act by fiat) to easing welfare reform's work requirements to selective waivers for No Child Left Behind, the Obama Administration routinely suspends enforcement of or unilaterally rewrites via regulation the laws it dislikes. Now it is doing it again on health care, without any consultation from, much less the approval of, Congress. President Obama probably figures business and Republicans won't object because they don't like the law anyway.

ObamaCare has become a rolling "train wreck," in Senator Max Baucus's memorable phrase, and it gets worse the more of it the public sees. The employer mandate is terrible policy, as the law's critics said before it passed. Now the Administration is all but admitting it can't implement it properly, and the task for opponents is to press the concession and begin to delay the rest of the law and dismantle it piece by piece."

Ouch.

Last edited:
Back