• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Have you been to Dublin?

I turned 18 in Dublin. Drank a liter of Teacher's Irish Whiskey that day. Things really got out of hand fast.

I lived in Dublin for sixth months after graduating. Blast. The economy has taken a major downturn since I was there though. Not sure what prices are like these days but it was rather pricey for food/drink.

If the weather is nice (big If, even in September), I'd check out Trinity College, maybe walk around Phoenix park. Whether drinking is your thing or not, definitley do allow time for the pubs and pints of Guiness and good conversations with old irish dudes. If you've never been there, do not be surprised if people simply strike up convos with you at out the blue. They really live to just shoot the shit with complete strangers.

Jameson distillery is cool if you have time. Guiness factory is worth it just for the view from the sky bar, but otherwise I'd skip it if you dont really care. Plenty of cool museums but personally I would spend more time in the pubs.

Watch out for sketchy looking kids (preteens/teens) in athletic wear/jumpsuits if your away from the main temple bar area. They completely do not give a fuck about anything and they carry switch blades.

Outside of Dublin I definitley recommend Galway and Kilarney. Lot of other places I'd like to see but didnt have time. We took trains everywhere which was great. But driving might be nice, especially around the ring of Kerry.

Driving in Dublin is hard. The street signs are really hard to see, the intersections are strange and the traffic lights are placed for minimum interference with the view (which means they're hard for drivers to see), and of course you're on the wrong side of the road. The first time I visited, I got pulled for running a red light that I never saw and had a hilarious conversation with a red-headed Irish motorcycle cop.

However, to see the countryside you need a car. The solution I devised when my wife and I spent a week driving around Ireland was to fly into Shannon and rent the car. You will get a lot of practice while driving around Galway, Killarney, etc. in the countryside etc. Then hit Dublin at the end of the week - by then, you won't think twice about driving on the wrong side of the road. Still, I recommend you drive straight to your hotel in Dublin and park that shit, and don't get back in it until you're ready to drive straight out of Dublin. Everything you want to see in Dublin is walking distance or maybe a cab or bus ride, and you don't want to be arrested by a leprechaun.

Then you can fly out of Dublin or drive back to Shannon.

dirtydeac, good to see you back after your BOY got his fucking ass kicked by the black ninja, Obama. I told you Romney was a mother fucking mouth breather with no chance of winning. Here's some free advice: don't strap an Irish Setter to your rental while your over there, or you'll find out that an Irish Car Bomb isn't a drink, you amateur.

Was in Dublin for a week in December 2010, and loved it, even though they were in the middle of the biggest snow storm they had seen in 10 years. Temple Bar and Guinness Factory was awesome. Get yourself a free pint at the top sky room and get the best view of Dublin!

Try to make it to Howth, about 45 minutes outside of Dublin. Spent a day there while studying abroad. Some very scenic views.

Bumpppppppp will be in Ireland from December 28th - January 5th. Hit me with all the recs

Rent a car and drive around Ireland. The best places to see are outside Dublin. In Dublin though, tour the Guinness factory, take a look at the churches, go see the Book of Kells.

In general, find a pub with live music for dinner.

Read Trinity by Leon Uris before you go.

Go to a concert, see a play, visit several pubs in the evenings.

I've been to Dublin twice. But it's been a while. Second time we took bus/train around a lot of the rest of the country as well. Altogether lovely memories of a place and its people. Enjoy.

Rent a car and drive around Ireland. The best places to see are outside Dublin. In Dublin though, tour the Guinness factory, take a look at the churches, go see the Book of Kells.

+1

This is the plan, only doing Dublin the day we land. What’s on the must do list other than Galway/Cliffs of Moher?

This is the plan, only doing Dublin the day we land. What’s on the must do list other than Galway/Cliffs of Moher?

go to the Burren when driving between Galway and the cliffs. It's this crazy stretch of rocky coast where you feel like you're on the moon.

If you're going to do Guinness, splurge and do the VIP version. 100% worth it.

Also, Kilmainham Gaol was an awesome experience.

Back