• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Have you been to Dublin?

go to the Burren when driving between Galway and the cliffs. It's this crazy stretch of rocky coast where you feel like you're on the moon.

Yeah that's a good idea. Also take a drive around the Dingle peninsula

My advice from a previous thread:

Galway was my favorite place in Ireland (with a day trip to the cliffs). There is a horserace in Galway around the end of July/early August. I also enjoyed Belfast a bunch too. My brother and I just took the bus (Bus Eire?) around Ireland for 2 weeks in 2009.

Seriously, just stay in Galway as much as possible.

We flew in to Dublin for a couple of days, took a train to Galway, then rented a car from there to explore, all of which worked out great.

if you're driving from Dublin straight to Galway, there's not much of interest in between. we did the opposite drive on our last full day and stopped here, which was pretty neat and worth an hour or two https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonmacnoise

but I would definitely recommend a car.

Kilarney is a great city as well with a beautiful national park and it positions you well to drive the Ring of Kerry.

Kilkenny is another spot to stop for a day if it's on your way. We did it on the way from Dublin to Cork and did the castle and Smithwick's brewery.

We flew in to Dublin for a couple of days, took a train to Galway, then rented a car from there to explore, all of which worked out great.

We will have a car, what are the best towns to visit?

if you're driving from Dublin straight to Galway, there's not much of interest in between. we did the opposite drive on our last full day and stopped here, which was pretty neat and worth an hour or two https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonmacnoise

but I would definitely recommend a car.

Kilarney is a great city as well with a beautiful national park and it positions you well to drive the Ring of Kerry.

Kilkenny is another spot to stop for a day if it's on your way. We did it on the way from Dublin to Cork and did the castle and Smithwick's brewery.

This castle is between Galway and Dublin. It's private, but we went in and had our picture taken. Pensive, like Bono and The Edge.

u2_unforgettable_fire_castle_Moydrum_Castle.jpg

Just booked flights for 8 days in late April/May (American is v cheap out of CLT right now). Any suggested itineraries? Was thinking 1.5 days and Dublin, one way car rental to Galway and train back to Dublin the evening before our return flight.

Any thoughts on how to fill in the remaining 6ish days?

I'd say you keep the car so you have flexibility and can do things like the Cliffs of Moher, Ring of Kerry, Dingle Peninsula, etc.

Just booked flights for 8 days in late April/May (American is v cheap out of CLT right now). Any suggested itineraries? Was thinking 1.5 days and Dublin, one way car rental to Galway and train back to Dublin the evening before our return flight.

Just got back from a 7 day trip (Dublin, Galway, Kilkenny, Cork/Kinsale, Cabra Castle), shoot me a PM and I'll connect via email with recs and AirBnbs. We stayed in some awesome spots

Golfing

Back