• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Civil Forfeiture

This seems to be a main one:

http://www.fed-soc.org/publications...s-not-punishment-for-double-jeopardy-purposes

Using it allows the extrapolation to all crimes and the expansion of civil forfeiture. The logic being,"if forfeiture is legal in drug cases, why isn't legal in other cases."

The majority in the Ursery decision consisted of Rehnquist, O'Connor, Kennedy, Souter, Breyer, and Ginsburg. Please explain to me how that is the work of an "activist RW Supreme Court."

All these years and RJ still doesn't understand what judicial activism is.

At the very least it should not be given to the police- it seems like a conflict of interest. And departments have shown they're willing to spend it on bonuses, first class trips, parties, etc. If you're gonna do it limit it to something like a general fund for schools.

This is the best idea I've read on the Tunnels. I agree with civil forfeiture laws in theory, but I vehemently disagree with the way its enforced. If they were going after kingpins that would be OK, but as it is, the cops get some narc to set up a small-time runner or mule and then take what little property they own (normally an old car and a couple thousand dollars cash).

Most Americans are (willfully or otherwise) unaware of this. People are unwilling to believe that this legal theft occurs every single day in the United States of America.

Liberals are fine with putting their health care in the hands of the government and conservatives are happy with allowing police almost unlimited authority. It's the same organization in charge of both things. The more we can get by without government involvement, the better off we will be as a country.

I missed this thread when it was first post. Jesus rj was annoying.

Damn, I thought rj was back.

Most Americans are (willfully or otherwise) unaware of this. People are unwilling to believe that this legal theft occurs every single day in the United States of America.

Liberals are fine with putting their health care in the hands of the government and conservatives are happy with allowing police almost unlimited authority. It's the same organization in charge of both things. The more we can get by without government involvement, the better off we will be as a country.

Not gonna lie, by the end of this post America the Beautiful was playing in my head.

Oklahoma Official Used Asset Forfeiture to Pay Back His Student Loans

An assistant district attorney in the state of Oklahoma lived rent-free in a house confiscated by local law enforcement under the practice of asset forfeiture. His office paid the utility bills. He remained there for five years, despite a court order to sell the house at auction.

Another district attorney used $5,000 worth of confiscated funds to pay back his student loans.

"You have this large amount of money, which anyone in my business knows is a key indicator of illegal activity, and then you have them saying they don't know anything about it, but it's not theirs," he says. "What would you have the police do? Pack it back up in the car in the hidden compartment and send it on back to the cartel? Or send it on back to al-Qaida or ISIS?"

Oklahoma County's First Assistant District Attorney Scott Rowland

http://www.npr.org/2015/07/26/42649...d-look-at-what-police-seize-and-how-its-spent

More news from Oklahoma. The usual suspects are upset over a modest reform to the system.

http://www.cato.org/publications/co...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

“The most damning, most asinine and devastating bill I have ever seen.” That’s how Canadian County Sheriff Randall Edwards described State Senator Kyle Loveless’s new bill that would reform certain police practices. ...

Sheriff Edwards insists that the ability to take money and property without convicting anyone is necessary for his department to afford the “cars, radars, cameras and a multitude of other public safety equipment” it needs.

Government ordered to pay legal fees in highway forfeiture case

A federal judge Tuesday ordered the government to pay $146,938 in legal fees to the driver of a motor home who fought the seizure of cash from the home on a Nevada highway.

In June Senior U.S. District Judge Larry Hicks ordered the government to return $167,000 that Elko County sheriff's deputies confiscated during a traffic stop along Interstate 80 in January 2013.

But Hicks on Tuesday ruled against the government again. He found that significant legal expenses were incurred by Gorman during the civil forfeiture fight over the $167,000 and said the government's "own actions" may have increased the hours billed by Gorman's lawyers.

So this guy has been fighting in court (and paying a lawyer) for two and a half years.

I assume you will be donating to Pennsylvania state Senator Daylin Leach's campaign then. He opposes civil forfeiture laws and is trying to weaken their authority.

http://deadstate.org/democratic-senator-to-trump-i-dare-you-to-destroy-my-career-you-fascist-shit-gibbon/

“Hey! I oppose civil asset forfeiture too,” Leach wrote on Facebook and Twitter. “Why don’t you come after me you fascist, loofa-faced sh*t-gibbon!!”

For the record, this is a predictable offshoot of a President who uses twitter to insult people.

I assume you will be donating to Pennsylvania state Senator Daylin Leach's campaign then. He opposes civil forfeiture laws and is trying to weaken their authority.

http://deadstate.org/democratic-senator-to-trump-i-dare-you-to-destroy-my-career-you-fascist-shit-gibbon/

For the record, this is a predictable offshoot of a President who uses twitter to insult people.

I do approve of his position but I am not in a habit of giving my hard earned money to politicians.

I think the cause would be better served by shedding light on the issue as opposed to gratuitous insults.

Not sure that trying to go lower than Trump in an insult war is the way to go.

Back