• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

Hey y'all, I just got my account on here activated. I saw this thread and signed up for the game at the beginning of the season and have Fargo in conference in 21. We are mediocre at best but I'm hopeful we can do some damage in what was the worst-rated conference a year ago.

I read through a lot of the thread and some of the stuff on the simsports site and I feel like I have an ok grasp of things but I have a few questions and I'd appreciate any help. They're probably answered elsewhere but there are a 100 pages in this thing and I can't get through all of them. So...

1) Does the scout deconstruction list the sum total of the ways recruits will be bumped? e.g. is anyone listed as a flat fair definitely coming in that way?
2) I get that a negative local pref means a player wants to go away and a negative winning pref means he wants to go to a rebuilding school but what does a negative impact preference mean? That the guy really wants to go to a school where he can ride pine?
3) I saw that phdeac said he will be maxing one Kent Broadwater in r20; he's not a perfect fit for what I'm looking for but if I decide to go aggressive with my maxes I haven't found any better players who fit my prefs that perfectly. I don't want to step on any toes though, so what's the policy on this?

Thanks for any help.

Welcome, Adout! Good luck @ Fargo. Building a program is very rewarding, and we have some new coaches that are turning around programs very quickly.

Thanks for reading first. I think you'll find the first 5-10 pages the most helpful. Here are my answers to your questions:
1) I may not be understanding your question, but I'll try. The Scout determines variability. So a Exc scouted Fair shot is 100% accurate; Good scouted Fair shot is about 90% accurate...., until Poor scouted Fair shot is not accurate and most likely underrated. I've found with Poor scouts, flat Fair tend to stick, where Fair+/- tends to move. After a while, use stats and scrimmages to validate scout deconstruction.

2) You are correct re Local Pref. Win and Impact are not measured from a negative, but from ambivalence. I think of the Local scale being -2 to +2, and the Win and Impact scales being 0 to 4. Usually a low Win Pref is matched with a high Impact Pref, so the player doesn't care about playing for a winner, he just wants to start. Others want to play for a winner - even if it means riding the bench. Impact does measure desire for PT. Players have various degrees of self-awareness (am I better than those already on the team?) in a hidden attribute, and this will affect their Impact perception. Basically, I find Impact is inscrutable and the least weighted of the three, so I pretty much ignore it. We had a conversation about 10 pages back about whether these preferences stop at recruiting or continue into their college career? - ie, will a high Impact recruit pout if you play him off the bench?

3) We post our maxes in hopes of scaring others off. There is no agreement or conspiracy to recruit cooperatively. DiV and I just went head-to-head on a recruit last season (DiV got him - the recruit's a chubby chaser and Carbondale's got fat girls, what can you do?). So Broadwater is not "reserved." Ph is hoping you are risk averse and will shy away from known competition (worked on me in this case).

You'll hear us talk of "maxes" and "max ties" in numbers. These are the amount of other coaches who have also maxed a player. Last season I was on a big man with Ph and many others - a 9/9 max tie (me and nine other coaches putting max pts on him).

It's courtesy to post maxes if you know them to help others know how to plan. It helps to have an idea if a player will be maxed in order to manage risks.

On the opposite end of the spectrum: Until I get to a point where me maxing a player would actually scare other coaches off, I'm keeping my maxes under wraps until after the first week. Basically, as a rebuilding program (hey, there's an understatement), I personally believe I need to use every advantage I have, and gathering information from other coaches with regards to whom they're maxing is a huge advantage.

I'm also narcissistic enough to believe that I'm on players other coaches might not have noticed, and paranoid enough to believe that those coaches might max those players if I give them a reason to.

Basically, until I start winning, I'm employing Belichickian rules: If you wanna give me info about your strategies, great, but nobody's getting shit from me. ;)

Oh there are multiple ways to play it, no doubt. I'm not telling you all about a non-local sleeper I like. But with a local player that several of you could be on, it helps to stake my claim so someone knows that guy isn't a sleeper and he will be maxed. I think most of us like to have at least one max who could be a clear lead (that means nobody else is maxing him). If you have 3 of your maxes set and are considering my guy, I'll probably scare you off of him.

After what happened with Storm, I'm reluctant to give out my secrets. Dude took board wisdom and put together a strong team within a few seasons. Then you came in and put together a 1/1 class. I'm going to be paying for your coaching clinics before long. ;)

Thanks for the responses, that helps a lot. To clarify my #1 question, my impression from the scout deconstruction was that there was no movement aside from the ways listed. So to me, a fair+ scouted player who was listed at f+,f-,f,f,f would have a slim shot to go up in shooting, a decent chance to go down in defense, and no chance to change in any of the others. But I take it that is not the case, at least in regards to the last 3.

As for the maxes, I may end up scared off of Broadwater as well. I think my all negative player jr class makes me pretty risk averse until I can get rid of them. I suppose it depends on how my other options are looking late next week.

I will say, I noticed in L5 that posting maxes can be advantageous in a mostly human league, if most of those human coaches are using the information you post. I was on a guy who was shaping up to be a 5/5 or more, posted that I was on him, and that seemed to be the straw that broke the camel's back-- other coaches moved off of him, and it looks like he'll end up being a 3/3 or so. So yeah, there's a lot of elements to posting strategic decisions.

I don't really see the downside to posting that I'm maxing someone that I know is already being maxed by someone else (if anything, there are advantages to doing so), but if, as far as I can tell, I'm the first person on a recruit, that's something I wouldn't share. Granted, the game theory extension of this is that nobody would ever post their maxes in such an environment, and that'd obviously be bad for everybody.

I've only had a couple combined seasons in this game so far, but I treat fair scouts as being pretty much completely unpredictable. As a general rule, you should try to get in a pessimistic mindset-- assume that everything that could go down will go down.

Thanks for the responses, that helps a lot. To clarify my #1 question, my impression from the scout deconstruction was that there was no movement aside from the ways listed. So to me, a fair+ scouted player who was listed at f+,f-,f,f,f would have a slim shot to go up in shooting, a decent chance to go down in defense, and no chance to change in any of the others. But I take it that is not the case, at least in regards to the last 3.

As for the maxes, I may end up scared off of Broadwater as well. I think my all negative player jr class makes me pretty risk averse until I can get rid of them. I suppose it depends on how my other options are looking late next week.

Good to have you on board. As far as scouting goes fair scout and below can be all over the place. Plenty of instances of Poor scouted players with a Fair- attribute bumping to a Good when they get on campus. This will obviously happen less frequently at a Fair scout, wont really happen at a Good scout and will basically never happen with a Exc scout. Id use the pluses and minuses to steer u toward bump ups or downs on fair scouted players, occasionally for good scouted and then just throw to book away for poor scouted guys, stats will tell you the most about them.

awaken, I'm curious to see what you think of the two lineups you'll be facing. I'm posting some new scrimmages if anybody is interested.

I'll be playing two different lineups myself, which will make it hard to read; but I'll let you know.

Flagstaff got a nice revenge win over Philly in the third exhibition game by the score of 66-53. We dominated the entire game, starting out on a 23-9 run in the first 10 minutes really put Philly in a hole early.

Of course this was a sort of hollow win as Philly didn't play anywhere close to it's starting lineup while Flagstaff played pretty much our starting 5. Angelo Pedigo went for 18 and 3 assist with 0 TO's while Gene Macklin showed the defense I expect out of him, shutting down Philly stud Otto Davidson. Anytime you hold that kid to 8 points and 4 TO's you've done a heck of a job. Next two game will be huge in showing how competitive i'll be nationally as I play Frankort and Boca back to back. Think i'll show well but even if I play well there is a decent chance I could start 0-2. Haven't even looked at recruiting yet, will have to get on that soon.

Heading out of town for a week, so I had to get in my recruiting early without the benefit of scrimmages. With any computer time, I may be able to submit changes, but here are our maxes:

Brad Downing(r18)
Ricardo Fleck(r18)
Charles Montgomery(r22)

I'll be in Nashville for the Music City Bowl, so maybe I'll see some of you reprobates there.

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas everyone! The holidays has put me behind in recruiting in both leagues and apparently Boca's 1-2 start in the DeACCOn tourney shows just how important Bert Hutchings was to this team. We'll try and right the ship from our 0-1 start with the last 2 DeACCon games.

Hope everyone has a happy holiday. More later.

I sent you and warak scrimmages.

Back to losing to Flagstaff every year, after taking a one year hiatus. Angelo Pedigo made me regret yet again not putting priority points on him during his recruitment. He was PoG and busted up Jared Eveland, PG the cpu chose instead of him, for 22 pts and 5 assists. Flagstaff's calling card is stifling defense, and they held Frankfort to 44% shooting from our starters and bench.

Good game, tau, and good luck this season.

Barring any surprises (e.g., 30 people mentioning them over the next couple of days), I've selected my maxes. I do have 5 guys to fill my 4 max spots, though, so one more decision has to be made by Friday. The 4th guy I select (it's down to two) is going to be going against prefs... it's just a matter of whether I want to go slightly against Local pref, or slightly against Win pref.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Fargo won our first game, 77-71 over a Pueblo team that finished last year ahead of us in the PR and brought in a pretty highly ranked class. We don't have more than a few games against teams that look appreciably better than them, so I'm cautiously optimistic about my chances this season. It was a solid showing from all the Wheatshuckers, though I'm a little curious about SF Arthur Menard who only managed 6 shots in 27 min on a 9 setting (making 5 of them). My starting backcourt did put up 34 shots between them though, and I guess there's only 1 simball.

Also, Pueblo's starting pg was 6'7 fr Luis Caceres, a name I recognized from this thread. He had a decent game with 15 on 5-12 shooting, 1 assist, 2 blks, and 0 to's, but overall wasn't much more impressive than my own freshman pg.

Back