• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

Scrambling to move off of Cook. All but 1 of my maxes is confirmed to be a tie...

So far, I have max (17) on:
-Sean Zambrano (R1)
-Homer Davies (R6)
-Devin Cook (R10)

And pseudo-max (16) on:
-Eduardo Thompson (R21)
-A "he is what he is" big that I am praying continues to fly under the radar

I do think Thompson will be a small tie, hopefully just the 1/1 that's already confirmed. I was hoping Davies would be mostly uncontested, but no dice. Maybe the max confirmation of him on the main board will scare others off. Zambrano is going to be a big tie, I've accepted, and I'm willing to take the risk.

Which leaves Cook. I like him a lot, and I think he's maybe the best SF/PF option in the class (I only really liked Mueller more). If I move off of him, my options are limited. I'm sufficiently scared off of Mueller thanks to all of the other risk I'm taking. There are a couple other guys I like quite a bit, but they come with their warts.

At this point, I'm switching off of Cook, and praying that the new guy doesn't attract a lot of attention.

Don't think that's anywhere near a certainty. He's got prefs that are all over the place, and not in a good way of attracting a large tie IMO.

Frankfort's maxes:

Kevin Hatton r10
Ronald Neal r29
Calvin Faulk r18

Taking two lottery type guys and hopefully and under the radar guy. For the new coaches, recruiting players out of position in HS has gone from clever to conventional. Hoping for a successful net to back up the riskier maxes, but Hatton and Hall are Lear/Hutchings (former greats for Frankfort/Boca) type players.

:Shakes fist: Can I at least borrow a NTT title trophy to show off for his visit? These young kids don't know any history anyway, I could probably get away with it :D

Any ideas on what point in top 75 would be prohibitive in netting? I'm dropping the two I have in the top 35 (whoops) but beyond that?

My advice would be to stick with the guys you have if they fit your prefs well, that's the most important part. These top 75 list awaken and Ph come out with are great tools but are by no means the end-all-be-all of who is going to be on the list. Now you might have gone a little ambitious if you have have 3 guys in awakens top 10 but this game is ~90% recruiting and a stud player can really change the dynamic of your team right away. In my L15 team getting I landed a top 5 player and he instantly took me to a 1 seed in the NTT. The talent around him wasn't even good enough to make the NTT without him. The stars are a risk, but a risk I firmly believe is necessary.

Tau, thanks. Generally speaking, I'm trying to soak up as much information about the game as I can so if anyone feels the need to lecture on the finer points of lineup construction or pontificate on recruiting theory, I'll volunteer myself as an audience.

In my confusingly-worded question, I was referring more towards netters; I'll be sticking on my 2 maxes (Campos and Gardner) though both are top 40, per awaken. But I also have netters in basically every decile on the list and I'm wondering at what point there is basically no chance of a guy falling through, or if he does, having so much competition that it becomes a lottery type tie.

Tau, thanks. Generally speaking, I'm trying to soak up as much information about the game as I can so if anyone feels the need to lecture on the finer points of lineup construction or pontificate on recruiting theory, I'll volunteer myself as an audience.

In my confusingly-worded question, I was referring more towards netters; I'll be sticking on my 2 maxes (Campos and Gardner) though both are top 40, per awaken. But I also have netters in basically every decile on the list and I'm wondering at what point there is basically no chance of a guy falling through, or if he does, having so much competition that it becomes a lottery type tie.

You only need one or two netters to work out from your original net. You'll be able to keep building a net after the Top 75 comes out and even after the reveal.

The chances are slim that someone in my predicted top 25 will not be maxed. The chances are so-so as you go down the list. I'm not netting anyone in the top 30 or so. I might try a few in the latter ranges. Even my net is an exercise in risk management. I used to do an incredibly dumb thing and net whoever I didn't max. Eventually I learned...smh. So don't become paralyzed in fear of making a mistake. You can learn and recover from most anything.

But Ph is right, by maxing three we only need two to emerge from our net - we're banking 10 as large programs and using the bank to spend 85 RP's/week after the reveal. I explain the reveal with a screen print within the first 5-10 pages of this thread - easy to skim and find.

But if you are looking for a Zen saying to help in recruiting; here is mine, grasshopper: "Everyone has to be somewhere."

I'm in the nice position of having my entire starting five back next season, so I can stretch a bit this go around. I am maxing a big I would normally net, just to balance out the others.

My friend coaching Grand Rapids gave me his maxes:

Devin Cook
C. Lomonaco
Timmy Hansen
Les Houston

Won against Miami by 2. 2-1 on the season. Ruis isn't being a star, but its nice to get production across the board from my starters. all 5 can score. I am trying a slow down method, so this is why Ruis isn't scoring as much. I hope that my team can continue to succeed like this, even if Ruis isn't going 25 and 10. Just win.

Maxes
Travis Steffey (4)
Rafael Cody (20)
Isiah Umberger (unranked)
Kelvin Justice (unranked)

Cook was the only max in the Top 75. Glenn Bode was the only net in the Top 75. Typical work by me. No matter how I do it, I usually end up with only one or two netters in the Top 75.

In his first week of action, here are the numbers for Scotty Ruffin - 22.7 pts, 8.0 reb (4.3 off), .581 fg, .947 ft., 1.7 blk.

Monroe Brim is back averaging 7.0 ast.

awaken, Vanmeter is handling the PF spot well with 10/6.

Shooter Konrad Garrett is money off the bench averaging 10 pts on 68% shooting in 11 min/game. Need to take a closer look at his defense though.

Last edited:
Flagstaff picked up a 62-49 in a very defensive minded game. Got my defense back to playing well after getting torched by Boca. I have got to figure out what is going on with Paul Livingston, went 0-7 for 4 points and 5 rebounds. Great production for a 6'10 EXC shot and EXC rebounder :rulz:

My recruiting came in pretty well,

Sean Zambrano - 46
Howard Stark - NR
Nick Weaver - NR
Kevin Hatton - 1

The league seems to have all figured out the Poor scout guys and don't over look them anymore. Have 8 guys out of 20 unranked in my net. I almost switched from Stark to Francis Kaiser but didn't after seeing awaken's top 75. And of course he comes in unranked. At least Stark is unranked as well. Will be interesting to see how many people are on Hatton, as I could see him being netted by several coaches that aren't really paying attention. Could also see him being a 9/9 with all of them being top 20 teams haha.

Last edited:
Fargo got obliterated by Youngstown; I'll be putting an increased emphasis on defense with the rest of my recruiting. My maxes were split: Gardner - 6, Campos -NR, but I'm not going to read to much into them at this point. I have 4 of 33 net players ranked, and none of them were on awaken's list.

I expected there to be some interference when the nets = 1/2 max, but I was still pretty baffled by a lot of the top 75. I like Rafael Dean ok but #2 most recruited?

Here's my list:

Sean Zambrano (46)
Homer Davies (16)
Milton Vega (15)
Willie Carrier
Eduardo Thompson

I know Zambrano, Davies, and Thompson were ties. Vega's ranking is high, but I have a hunch it's mostly netters. Carrier is probably going to be a much-needed CL.

RedSox, you are not in an enviable position without a net.

Gotcha. I typically save scholarships for an emergency late net. Hope it works out for you.

Everybody remember to max your players who are outside the Top 75 to see if they make the list.

Just realized that my 5th choice who I planned to high net made it on the Top 75. Dominic Allen is going to be a nice PG. Thought his 6-0 height may drive people away. Stud in scrimmages.

Last edited:
L5 reveal was tonight. Might be fucked there. In favorable 1/1 ties on a couple of maxes (one of them is a G scouted EGEGGF, so that's good), but my net was ravaged by single maxes, and my other two maxes are massive ties.

I think it might be impossible to find a good small-max big in that league without getting a lucky E+ local pref to spawn.

L5 reveal was tonight. Might be fucked there. In favorable 1/1 ties on a couple of maxes (one of them is a G scouted EGEGGF, so that's good), but my net was ravaged by single maxes, and my other two maxes are massive ties.

I think it might be impossible to find a good small-max big in that league without getting a lucky E+ local pref to spawn.

Same way in L15. Just insane hard to recruit. The top classes are like 80%a due to tie wins

Coincidentally, I worked Allen hard (70 games at PG, against a host of defenders), and he didn't do much for me. Shot 41%, couldn't hit 3's or FTs, and only had 3.9 AST/30 vs 1.1 TO/30. I haven't had a chance to analyze his opposing shooting percentage or anything, but he didn't have an absurd amount of steals.

I mean, obviously he'll be good (probably +5, maybe +6), but it's funny how different performances can be in scrimmages.

Back