• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

Solid 12 pt win over Grand Rapids. PR went from 45 to 30.

Recruiting update:

Kevin Hatton (1) - seriously considered dropping him, but took heart that his ranking fell during the week to 3, then 6.... and back to #1 again. I was hoping many would drop him from the shock of him being #1. I guess many coaches were like me, and put their points on him late while pondering their options.

Ronald Neal (26) - climbing as expected. Glad I'm on him instead of Hall.
Calvin Faulk (34) - debuts mid-list. Probably more than me and swooper on him.

Net still looks pretty good, but single maxes can/will be killing us on the reveal. One netter than became ranked is Jeremy Kyle (56), who I almost maxed. He outplayed several elite recruits in my scrimmages. Great defensive player with an efficient, but not prolific offensive game.

Feeling pretty decent about my recruiting:

Devin Cook (16)
Bernard Walters (46)
Timmy Hansen (63)
Kent Broadwater NR

I'm guessing Broadwater is a 1/1, even more likely 2/2 with no netters. No way does a Exc+ Local, None- Win, Good Scout with great ratings end up a CL. Hansen isn't in the latest top 75 so he is probably a 1/1 as well. Either would be great. Both would be fantastic.

A 2/2 is about as bad as an unranked player will be at this point, right?

Also, someone esle is on Broadwater according to the max thread on the DTL forums, don't remember which team.

Thanks. It's Kalamazoo. Should be a 50/50 since Win won't be a factor.

Can someone explain the theory behind getting netters to 20 rpe before the reveal, as mentioned in awaken's recruiting advice at the beginning of the thread? Is it just to have a lead over the crowd or is there a specific reason I don't know about that 20 is an important number?

I don't think there is anything particularly magical about 20. You should invest some extra rpe's on recruits after putting either a single rp or scholly on them. Some boost fewer players a higher amount (higher risk if he's maxed), some spread their points among more netters (less risk, but potentially behind if recruit is not maxed). This is a game of trends, and the recruiting trend now is to put more points on fewer netters, usually 25-30 at the reveal, but the other trend of bountiful single maxes may reverse it some day.

Not to override anything awaken said but i think getting a guy to 20RPE puts you 4 rpe up on someone who just netted him to 16 rpe and getting a guy to 33 puts you 1 outside the W/12 of someone who got a guy to 20rpe. All imo tho

The thing I'll add to this line of thought is that I have found guards much easier to recruit (and much more available at lower RPE levels) than bigs. So, I have a tendency to put any extra RPE toward tall players. I've pulled in some very good guards with 17-20 RPE at the reveal.

Appreciate the explanations and tips. The points I've banked are burning a hole in my pocket. I don't know exactly how I'll end up using them - the only sure thing is that in the end I'll have out-strategized myself

The thing I'll add to this line of thought is that I have found guards much easier to recruit (and much more available at lower RPE levels) than bigs. So, I have a tendency to put any extra RPE toward tall players. I've pulled in some very good guards with 17-20 RPE at the reveal.

+10,000 - This has been my experience as well. I do think location also plays a factor in this as PH and Tau seem to have a much easier time finding bigs than guards while my team brings in guards like candy and bigs like needles.

Agree with Stormfury and DiV. My Sr class is a max-0/all net class of guards. Came in +16. I needed depth over elite talent at the time. I'd never try that on big men.

Judging from the trash still in the Top 75, I think our nets will be kinder to us this season. Just a matter of how much kinder....

Agree with Stormfury and DiV. My Sr class is a max-0/all net class of guards. Came in +16. I needed depth over elite talent at the time. I'd never try that on big men.

Judging from the trash still in the Top 75, I think our nets will be kinder to us this season. Just a matter of how much kinder....

Yeah, ok, my team stinks. If a +16 class is "depth", I have a lot of work to do.

Yeah, ok, my team stinks. If a +16 class is "depth", I have a lot of work to do.

yeah, no shit...i haven't had a +16 class in this league in a long time. i must be doing something very wrong!

I, too, was very surprised at how successful that strategy was for guards. My "problem" with that class is some are Exc rebounders, which is next to meaningless to PG's. I had the cpu choose the three best guards for me, and it chose Jared Eveland over Angelo Pedigo probably bc Eveland's an Exc rebounder. Really wish I had Pedigo in hindsight. Also, all of these guards are imperfect - usually in defense. btw, Eveland and Pedigo have played h2h, and Pedigo pwns Eveland every time.

But Adout was having RP's burning his pockets. I could relate on the max-0. I had about 220 rp's saved up to spend on reveal week.

You'll get there.

Here's my breakdown:

SR : +11
JR: +17
SO: +10
FR: + 18

I'll likely have a class in the 10 range again (assuming I am lucky) this season as I went after bigs and all 3 maxes are top 30 with no clear cut pref favorites. Had I landed Pate, I might have had a Philly type of class (+20 ish) last cycle.

You'll get there.

Here's my breakdown:

SR : +11
JR: +17
SO: +10
FR: + 18

I'll likely have a class in the 10 range again (assuming I am lucky) this season as I went after bigs and all 3 maxes are top 30 with no clear cut pref favorites. Had I landed Pate, I might have had a Philly type of class (+20 ish) last cycle.

SR: +9/-1
JR: +7/-2
SO: +2/-7
FR: +9

I'm not really getting better, if anything I got worse - granted my sophomore class was a test, I had four maxes that I was 2/2 and 1/1 on and lost all of them - and my net didn't like me either.

Hoping this year will go better, but I am worried because NONE of my maxes and my high netters are ranked - granted the only two ranked players I have got both only came in at +2.

My breakdown:
Sr +11 (all bigs, 2 +3 players are NA)
Jr +10
So +14/-1
Fr +10/-1

Fargo's breakdown:

Sr +5/-4
Jr +1/-5
So +10/-1
Fr +8

I was lucky to get a team that has already begun the rebuilding process. I'm still surprised to see a class (DaDeacs SO) that is worse than Fargo's juniors.

The trick to recruiting is to mitigate damage on key cycles and to take risks on safe cycles.

What I mean by that is when you're losing 2-3 of your key players you have to make sure to get replacements and avoid walk ons. When you have 2 SR NA players like DaDeacs will in 2 cycles, you can take a swing at the fences for superstars.

Everyone's strategies are different but I've gotten into a pattern where I go guards then bigs, then guards then bigs and I like to take a 'shot' each season at a quality player with one of my maxes. When doing that of course, you have to plan and assume you're going to need a netter.

I won't bore you or regurgitate what we have discussed in length on this forum but feel free to ask questions or PM me if you want to get together and chat sometime. Be glad to help out the newer players as best I can.

Fargo's breakdown:

Sr +5/-4
Jr +1/-5
So +10/-1
Fr +8

I was lucky to get a team that has already begun the rebuilding process. I'm still surprised to see a class (DaDeacs SO) that is worse than Fargo's juniors.

256/256 class - can't beat it. The star of that class is PFFFGF point guard - he really hasn't been terrible, he just has wasted a spot that someone with talent could use - his career averages are 0.7 points, 0.6 boards, 1.5 assists and0.8 TOs per game - pretty much a non-entity.

Back