• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

Is anybody on Kadeem Stout (6'3" SG from Region 17) or do any scrimmages with him? He is my top netter right now and I am a CL with him with 54 RPE after this week, just wanted to see what anyone else thinks - he is my option if I miss on my 1/1 tie and I am hoping he comes in at GFFGFG

I have him at 5.47 Storm rating.

Fargo rolled over literally the worst team in the league to move to 9-2. Somehow that was good enough to get our PR up to 63, despite all four of our non-conf opponents also losing. Looking over Stormfury's great write-up I almost felt guilty that we're ranked ahead of all these other Deacon coaches with better teams. Almost.

Fargo rolled over literally the worst team in the league to move to 9-2. Somehow that was good enough to get our PR up to 63, despite all four of our non-conf opponents also losing. Looking over Stormfury's great write-up I almost felt guilty that we're ranked ahead of all these other Deacon coaches with better teams. Almost.

You shouldn't - looks like you have a great shot to win your conference with the win over Aberdeen already. Just because you haven't played a lot of good teams, doesn't mean you couldn't beat them.

So how does your rating system work? Out of 10? SO 5.47 would be average, like a +2/+3?

No it's not out of 10. My system doesn't place an artificial cap on a player's ranking but anything above 18 is exceptional and 20 is super rare.

I take a slightly different approach (I think) than most coaches when it comes to evaluating players. I don't worry so much about his +/- rating but rather at his contributions. I designed it to rank players based on an estimated contribution to the team using both attributes and stats.

The best way to describe it is follows:
I have ranked 8430 players.

3 players > 20 (Eric Wright, Henry Pate (DOH!), Karim Haas)
103 players > 15 and less than 20
414 players > 12 and less than 15.00
2472 players > 7 and less than 12.00
1640 players > 5 and less than 7.00
3798 players <= 5.00

Like any system there are always exceptions but as a general rule, I try and avoid anyone below 7 on my system. (A luxury, I didn't have starting out).

You should assume that anyone your getting below 7.00 is likely going to be a role player or may have a significant flaw in their game. I've had some sub 7.00 players who didn't amount to much until their senior seasons as well. So it might be that they need a few years on the bench.

Some examples:
Mo Poisson 7.73 - Close to that 7 mark, has exc hands, scoring and int but has a huge flaw defensively. +6/-1
Tony Salazar 6.21 - My team's all time leading scorer but he wasn't much more than a scorer. I believe he actually came in a +1 but unfortunately I didn't save my 1st recruiting classes attributes. :(
Leon Cochran 12.92 - Very quietly has become one of the teams main scorers and may end up as the teams all time steals leader. +4
Marcus Metcalf 4.38 - Despite E hands, he just never really amounted to much. +3/-1
Gilbert Holden 3.81 - Like Metcalf, I hadn't fully developed my system when I recruited him otherwise I would have looked elsewhere. Might have saved on unrealistic expectations from the +4 SG.
Trent Shaffer 5.22 - A decent SF who could score and pass but was weak defensively and rebounding wise. +4/-1
Erin Atkins 11.40 - A few deacon coaches didn't like what Atkins had to offer, but he's played very well for me and if he gets a SR bump may just break the schools all time scoring record. +5
Michael Gonzalez 17.06 - A glue player who can do anything except score. Great hands, defense and rebounding. If he had the scoring punch likely would have been a 18-20 ranged player. +6
Bert Hutchings 18.16 - The best player in school history talent wise and he ended up on the top 10 scorers all time list. Hutchings simply made this team better however needed. +9
Jake Evans 14.20 - Time will tell with Evans but as a FR taking over the reigns at PG, the Storm's defense has never been this good. +7

Last edited:
My Eric Wright was over 20?

Gees.

My Eric Wright was over 20?

Gees.

:noidea:

I'm surprised you didn't try him out more at SF. In 3 s66 Exhibition games he had 6 steals and 3 blocks at SF. 11 boards and 12 points as well. Maybe with time at the position he would have been a solid SF. Did you ever put him there in scrimmages?

Do you still have his attributes? Curious to know what he was overall.

Yeah. He played SF and bSF a few times. I'll look it up. His ratings were something like FGEEFF.

Here are his averages in a few scrimmages at SF: 4.0 pts, 3.7 reb, 2.3 ast, 1.0 blk, 2.0 stl in 31.3 min/game. His defense wasn't nearly as strong at SF as PG. He was worse at bSF. The other reality is that I was strong at SF with Adam Cox and didn't really have another PG.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure about that - the Youngstown team you just beat took us to the woodshed earlier this season.

Well, they were not exactly the same team. I am assuming the reigning 3 time conference player of the year, Tommy Tiernan (Center for Youngstown) was not 100% - he didn't play in the game prior to ours (granted Youngstown beat #46 Peoria in that game pretty handily) - and he only played 21 minutes in our game. Obviously had him starting, but in a sub-out more often role.

Will take the win whenever I can get it, but if he had of played his normal 27 minutes, might not have pulled off a 2 point win.

Duluth pulled off a big win over Chicago yesterday 83-64 to move to 20 in the PR. Fr C Scotty Ruffin had 27 pts. He's looking like a strong contender for C20 ROY and POY at 20.3 pts, 7.5 reb. He's the C20 leading scorer and 4th in rebounding. Monroe Brim is having a strong season averaging 7.2 asts, 1st in the league. He's 69 asts away from cracking the top 10 Duluth all-time list as a sophomore. That's looking very likely.

I don't keep track of team stats. My team is shooting FTs at a 79% clip. That's got to be one of my best percentages.

I don't keep track of team stats. My team is shooting FTs at a 79% clip. That's got to be one of my best percentages.

I can't speak for your team but my teams best FT % with me at the helm was 79% in s62.

Congrats on Scotty Ruffin. He's looking like a huge signing.

A few more names to look at from my system. These 4 are the only players ranked between 19-20 in my system.

Jim Ayers s64 19.92 - Chicago's defensive monster who averaged almost 3.0 def per game (blk + stl). #1 all time Chicago's Steals & Blocks. #5 Chicago Rebounds.

Roy Moore s60 19.73 - Moore was a solid player for Gulf Shores who terrorized me early in my career. 8th all time Gulf Shores pts.

Ross Dorsett s65 19.59 - An interesting player who at 6'11 averaged 12 ppg, 8 rb, 3 def as a FR & SO at C. Oddly, he was moved to PG as a JR and SR and his #s in scoring have gone up to 17 ppg as a senior but everything else has dropped. I guess independence is another CPU coach now. Wasting Dorsett's talents.

Roland Pope s66 19.11 - Pope spent his first 2 seasons on the bench but as a JR he's putting up solid #s. 14 ppg, 6.3 rb, 2.7 a, 2 def

A closer look at the 20+ trio
Karim Haas s61 - Haas spent 3 seasons as a backup for the Charlotte Weasels so it's impossible to tell how good he could of been. During his SR season he averaged 14 pts, 3.8 rb, 3.3 a, 1 def. During his SO season as bPG he averaged 3.0 assists, so it might have been nice to see what he could have done as a starting PG. He logged no games (exh, reg, playoffs) at PG, maybe the coach ran some scrimmages?

Henry Pate s68 - While its still early, I think Pate is going to do for Kalamazoo what Bert Hutchings did for Boca Raton. He simply makes those around him better. Playing PF as a FR, Pate's numbers 10 pts, 5.7 rb, 1.7 a, 1.1 s. Numbers look very ho hum by themselves, but consider that Kalamazoo has 4 of 5 starters from last season in their lineup and the team is 10-1 with Pate vs last seasons 14-10. I think Pate would have excellent numbers if he were playing SF, which is where I wanted him, but I believe his impact can be seen in Wins and losses.

Eric Wright s64 - Ph's thorn for 4 seasons. On paper he looked to be a solid defensive player with rebounding and passing capabilities. He reminds me a lot of my SF Michael Gonzalez. Hard to say if Wright just simply didn't want to play or didn't like the positions he played in. Perhaps the poster child to remind us that no recruiting/ranking system is perfect. Maybe this is a case of one of those kids that simply had talent but didn't care to use it. Ala Monroe Crandall...

Eric Wright s64 - Ph's thorn for 4 seasons. On paper he looked to be a solid defensive player with rebounding and passing capabilities. He reminds me a lot of my SF Michael Gonzalez. Hard to say if Wright just simply didn't want to play or didn't like the positions he played in. Perhaps the poster child to remind us that no recruiting/ranking system is perfect. Maybe this is a case of one of those kids that simply had talent but didn't care to use it. Ala Monroe Crandall...

i have a similar problem, Jonathan Harding (JR). Harding is a 6'4" +7 player and is my highest rated player on my team. having said that...the POS doesn't have a position to play! i am trying him at PG but he is just not doing very well. i started him at SG for his SOPH year and he was my Achilles Heel the entire season. i need to move him out of my PG position but where do i put him? at this moment my +1/-1 6'11" guy (walk-on type) gives me more in a game...at least on paper.

i have a similar problem, Jonathan Harding (JR). Harding is a 6'4" +7 player and is my highest rated player on my team. having said that...the POS doesn't have a position to play! i am trying him at PG but he is just not doing very well. i started him at SG for his SOPH year and he was my Achilles Heel the entire season. i need to move him out of my PG position but where do i put him? at this moment my +1/-1 6'11" guy (walk-on type) gives me more in a game...at least on paper.

have you tried him as a substitute with a more/less pattern? I ended up doing that with Monroe Crandall +6 even though he was +4 better than anyone on my team and it worked out better than if he started. He still wasn't great but sometimes you have to cut your losses with a player.

Storm, I sent you a scrimmage and I posted an open scrimmage.

Damn, Flagstaff got "Cason'ed" tonight as Boyd Cason put up a cool 46 (8-12 from 3 nbd) points in 28 minutes of play. I did call that though so I should get props haha. Had pretty solid games from several guys but my SG's combined to go 10-29 which was the ball game. Good game Carbondale, I think your worries of making the NTT are severally overplayed haha. Flagstaff should get in with a middle seed which will be interesting to see how that goes.

Recruiting is the same. Have a big week in conference to finish up with. Need to win out and i'll end up around top 20 or so i'd think.

Cincy moves to 7-5 - our game on Monday determines if I could sneak into the NTT - with a win over Peoria, all I would need to do is beat two 200+ teams and I clinch the regular season title. That would be crazy since I am ranked #94

Have you tried him at SF? If he's athletic enough he can handle it. Hanno Lear spent his Sr year at SF and he was 6'4.

Back