• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

Question for you guys that are also in League 15 (awaken, fury, warak). Stupid me did a rookie mistake and already did 3 maxes for this first 2 weeks before I did enough research and now I am in a quandary. Im graduating one of my 4 bigs and then two crappy guards that are +2 between the two of them. So really anything I get is an upgrade as long as I get one big. Unfortunately I've only maxed one so far and was going to max two and then drop off one of the four maxes next week and build a net. That's usually what I do and it's worked well for me. Problem is this, I just noticed that Gabriel McAllister is in my region with decent enough prefs for me and is Good scouted GEGE_F with good numbers and possible G or E INT. Do you guys consider McAllister elite enough of a player to sacrafice only maxing 1 big the whole way and trying to fish another one out of the net? I fit the one big i'm going to max well but just don't like being in this predicament. As of now i'm probably going to max McAllister but just am still on the fence. TIA

My team is in a weird position. I've got a ton of bigs and mediocre guards. I have a pass first PG on a team that's only +7/-1 Sht, but +9/-1 in Hands with 9 different Good hands guys and +10/-2 Reb with 4 Exc rebounders. Having a pass first PG made sense when I had two Exc shooters who could fill it up. Now I may move Eric Wright (2.0 reb, 3.5 ast) to get more mileage out of his defense and rebounding, knowing that putbacks and the few offensive talents I have will carry this team.

If this were the pros, we'd have to work a trade as I am in the opposite situation. Tons of Guards in Boca.

Season 66 Maxes

I see no reason to wait on this as I will be maxing Michael Gonzalez out of R13. Just wanted to let you guys know. Not sure on the others yet.

Question for you guys that are also in League 15 (awaken, fury, warak). Stupid me did a rookie mistake and already did 3 maxes for this first 2 weeks before I did enough research and now I am in a quandary. Im graduating one of my 4 bigs and then two crappy guards that are +2 between the two of them. So really anything I get is an upgrade as long as I get one big. Unfortunately I've only maxed one so far and was going to max two and then drop off one of the four maxes next week and build a net. That's usually what I do and it's worked well for me. Problem is this, I just noticed that Gabriel McAllister is in my region with decent enough prefs for me and is Good scouted GEGE_F with good numbers and possible G or E INT. Do you guys consider McAllister elite enough of a player to sacrafice only maxing 1 big the whole way and trying to fish another one out of the net? I fit the one big i'm going to max well but just don't like being in this predicament. As of now i'm probably going to max McAllister but just am still on the fence. TIA

I'm not in L15, but skimmed over that part and you "made me look." :)

Re McAllister, I would consider someone that good at least a medium tie with a strong Local pref (depending on # of cpu, abandoned teams). I'm not sure what kind of quality netters you get in L15 (from what I hear it is less than other leagues), but I'd consider McAllister a lottery type guy and a likely class of netters. Can you live with that in L15?

L15 question

Problem is this, I just noticed that Gabriel McAllister is in my region with decent enough prefs for me and is Good scouted GEGE_F with good numbers and possible G or E INT. Do you guys consider McAllister elite enough of a player to sacrafice only maxing 1 big the whole way and trying to fish another one out of the net? I fit the one big i'm going to max well but just don't like being in this predicament. As of now i'm probably going to max McAllister but just am still on the fence. TIA

Honestly, I personally prefer Awaken's recruiting strategy of going all big or all guards to try and get their heights aligned. That being said, you have to take what recruits you can get sometimes. ie. mix and match. I've spent my 1st 2 classes on guards in L15 and will be going all bigs this season, so I might have some help for you after the reveal.

With regards to McAllister: My expectation is G int. He's rated 12.93 in my system which puts him 12th overall. (Keep in mind my system ignores INT, which is largely predictable based on gpa and test scores) League 15 is ridiculously competitive with recruits, so it scares the crap out of me not having some form of net. That coupled with McAllister's F+F-F+ prefs and high rating means I expect he'll be a big tie. If it were me, I'd likely skip McAllister.

Did you win any ties this past cycle? This could change recruiting strategy a bit too. So far Lubbock (my L15 team) has won several ties in my 2 classes. Since they have had success, unlike Boca in L7, I am more willing to take a chance on a player I know will be a tie. I'm convinced there is something that makes some teams win ties over others based on my own experiences in this game.

Just my 2 cents.
Storm

I see no reason to wait on this as I will be maxing Michael Gonzalez out of R13. Just wanted to let you guys know. Not sure on the others yet.

If anyone sees fit to not max Leslie Barclay from Region #2, that would be great. Assuming he will be one of the top recruits - I am in need of big men this year, he is my top target.

Ugh... My buddy who coaches Ft. Myers just emailed me and I'm just sick...

He recruited Chauncey Black who was F+ scouted E-G-E+E+__F with 13 ppg, 3 rb, 3 assist 1.3 turnovers per game.

Based on the F+ and stats, I passed on Black. Turns out he came in at +8 after all. Right out of my own back yard. Black and Hutchings might have been a deadly 1-2 for 3 seasons.

*shrug*

Looks like I've gotten myself into a bit of a rebuilding situation here... I ended up coaching Rochester in Conf. 6 instead of Detroit for some reason. I have one player over 6-6 on my roster.

He recruited Chauncey Black who was F+ scouted E-G-E+E+__F with 13 ppg, 3 rb, 3 assist 1.3 turnovers per game.

Based on the F+ and stats, I passed on Black. Turns out he came in at +8 after all. Right out of my own back yard. Black and Hutchings might have been a deadly 1-2 for 3 seasons.

*shrug*

Did you scrimmage him?

Simsports Console had him at GFGGFF
and my projections had him at GgEEFF
but his pedestrian stats didn't really support it: 13.5ppg 3.0rpg 3.0apg 1.0spg 1.3topg 0.3bpg
and Boca HS didn't come up as having special class for me. He was G+ Local, so he was yours for the asking, but I wouldn't kick yourself too much about it. He looks good coming off the bus. Let's see what he can really do.

Last edited:
That's crazy RE: Black stormfury, did your buddy have him clear?

And wow awaken, don't why I thought you were in league 15 haha

RE my league 15 situation. I will have a net, I just build it up on the second week instead of the first. So I'll max 4 to start with, send about 15 schollys out as my "net" in the first week, and then drop off whichever of my four max guys it looks the worst for me to win. While league 15 is extremely competitive for recruits I really think this guy might slip through the cracks and be a smaller tie and thus worth it. I picked up 2 guards from last cycle that lead me to a 40/43 class that were both good scouted +4/+5's and one was a netter I got and one was a 1/1 that I won a tie on. Average bigs in my region on the other hand went for huge ties so I feel that my region is just obsessed with bigs as some average bigs were 5/5 ties last round. Thus allowing me a better chance of finding some great guards that I can build around. Not sure what i'll do yet but thanks for the great info guys. Situation might work it's self out tonight via scrimmages.

Did you scrimmage him?

Simsports Console had him at GFGGFF
and my projections had him at GgEEFF
but his pedestrian stats didn't really support it: 13.5ppg 3.0rpg 3.0apg 1.0spg 1.3topg 0.3bpg
and Boca HS didn't come up as having special class for me. He was G+ Local, so he was yours for the asking, but I wouldn't kick yourself too much about it. He looks good coming off the bus. Let's see what he can really do.

Pretty sure I scrimmaged him a bit and nothing was outstanding. I have a feeling he will end up like Crandall (My +6 who rode the pine behind +1,+0 type guys due to lackluster play) I was more concerned this cycle with SF/SG types as I have 3 guys who can play PG this season. I'm happy with my recruiting class and it's replaced my current SR class.

Just feels wrong letting a +8 walk out my back door. :)
Good lesson for the new guys though, +8 doesn't guarantee success and +0 doesn't guarantee failure. As I alluded to, Crandall was a +6 who wasn't happy at any Position PG-C and couldn't score unless coming off the bench while I had a +0 guy who put up points like crazy. In fact, Boca's all time leading scorer Tony Salazar was only +2 or +3.

Obviously, you wouldn't want to skip on higher + guys, but the point is when you get them there are no guarantees.

*shrug*

fwiw,

In S59, Hanno Lear was Poor scouted Fair,Good-, Good+, Good-, Fair+; projected GEGGGG (+7) by SSC (which tends to the extremes), and gGeGFG (+5.2) by me.

Lear's stats were:
16.1ppg, 2.9rpg, 2.6apg, 2.0spg, 1.1topg, 0.2bpg

and he came in +9 GEEEGG. His stats gave more indication that he would be good, but no one expected him to be THAT good.

Black is an even more extreme case, imo.

fwiw,

In S59, Hanno Lear was Poor scouted Fair,Good-, Good+, Good-, Fair+; projected GEGGGG (+7) by SSC (which tends to the extremes), and gGeGFG (+5.2) by me.

Lear's stats were:
16.1ppg, 2.9rpg, 2.6apg, 2.0spg, 1.1topg, 0.2bpg

and he came in +9 GEEEGG. His stats gave more indication that he would be good, but no one expected him to be THAT good.

Black is an even more extreme case, imo.

So now your telling me I passed on my Hanno Lear???? :sick:

RE my league 15 situation. I will have a net, I just build it up on the second week instead of the first. So I'll max 4 to start with, send about 15 schollys out as my "net" in the first week, and then drop off whichever of my four max guys it looks the worst for me to win. While league 15 is extremely competitive for recruits I really think this guy might slip through the cracks and be a smaller tie and thus worth it. I picked up 2 guards from last cycle that lead me to a 40/43 class that were both good scouted +4/+5's and one was a netter I got and one was a 1/1 that I won a tie on. Average bigs in my region on the other hand went for huge ties so I feel that my region is just obsessed with bigs as some average bigs were 5/5 ties last round. Thus allowing me a better chance of finding some great guards that I can build around. Not sure what i'll do yet but thanks for the great info guys. Situation might work it's self out tonight via scrimmages.

FYI, I am setting up some scrimmages for bigs tonight and I'll put McAllister in at PG in all of them so i can give you some feedback.

The Firestarters got their first class signed. We ended up rated 110/111, so I've got nowhere to go but up.

My class consists of:
Devin May 6-4 EFFFGP
William Munoz 6-8 GFGFFF
Bradley Hall 6-11 NGFFGF

So we gained some much needed height and a shooter.

I'm graduating a 6-6 GPGFGF, a 6-6 FFGFFF, and my 11th man.

Any advice on how to go forward? I've only got my two freshmen over 6-6, so I might look to add another big.

This is my first recruiting cycle, so I'm a little overwhelmed about where to start spending points. Any advice? Is it worth putting in the $5 to get a sortable recruiting list at this point?

The Firestarters got their first class signed. We ended up rated 110/111, so I've got nowhere to go but up.

My class consists of:
Devin May 6-4 EFFFGP
William Munoz 6-8 GFGFFF
Bradley Hall 6-11 NGFFGF

So we gained some much needed height and a shooter.

I'm graduating a 6-6 GPGFGF, a 6-6 FFGFFF, and my 11th man.

Any advice on how to go forward? I've only got my two freshmen over 6-6, so I might look to add another big.

This is my first recruiting cycle, so I'm a little overwhelmed about where to start spending points. Any advice? Is it worth putting in the $5 to get a sortable recruiting list at this point?

Is it worth $5? imo, absolutely. As a small program, tedium in clicking recruits one at a time and taking notes, pretty much limits the number of regions you can (choose) to recruit from. With a spreadsheet that comes with the upgrade, you can use your mad Excel skills to recruit effectively in every region. I think the spreadsheet alone is worth it, but you also get 83 RP's to spend and 20 schollies, too.

First, don't let the RP's burn a hole in your pocket. Resist the urge to spend too quickly. I won't spend any RP's until next Wednesday after the 5th HS game. Then, I'll have a better bearing on who is legit and who is not. Now, just collect data and evaluate. Run some HS scrimmages.

You are correct in that you should be recruiting bigs. In your region and in +2 regions away and -2 regions away (5 total regions), you are looking for bigs with a high Local Preference. You'll also want recruits with a low to mid Win Preference (low=apathetic about playing for a winner, med=playing for winner somewhat important, high=wants to play for UNC, Duke, Kentucky). Beyond the 5 local regions, you will want recruits with a low Local Preference (they want to go away to school). You'll still want Low-Mid Win Pref. Since you have PT to offer, if the recruit has a high Impact Preference, the better for you. Don't worry about your current players, I doubt they'll scare any recruits away.

My advice would be to give it a season to get familiar with recruiting and make sure you like it before committing $ to it. It is a heck of lot easier to recruit with the csv file but it's going to take you a season or two to get familiar with nuances and such.

With regards to recruiting this cycle, I'd just ignore specific team needs at this point and go for the best available players you can get. Even if they appear to be of the same position of your latest recruits. Your pretty much starting with a clean slate as of this season and guys you recruit moving forward should be better than anyone on your roster.

I'd also recommend recruiting in groups. Guards, Fowards etc. vs picking up say PG, SF, C in one class. This does a couple of things for you.

First, it gives you redundancy in positions. So for example, if your recruiting guards and the one you were really excited about turns out to be a dud player or his attributes drop from where you thought he would be, you've got 2 others that could potentially fit the bill.

Second, you'll have an easier time utilizing the Impact rating in recruiting if you're graduating all your short or tall players same season.

I didn't follow this logic with Boca and found it took me a bit longer to get established as some players didn't pan out. However with my L15 team I've done this and things have been a lot smoother. With my 3rd class I'm looking at recruiting towards Impact with only 1 or 2 guys over 6'8 which should help me land bigs. *fingers crossed*

The biggest thing I can't stress enough is patience. Building up your program takes time and can be quite frustrating. Milk and Cookies and I have been doing our teams about the same time and we've followed slightly different paths but both had success, so you might want to get his input as well.

My 1st season mistake was recruiting too high. I rolled the dice for some pretty lofty players, in large part due to unexpected success during my inaugural half season. Since then, I've gone for quantity over quality in recruiting and slowly increased the + value of the players as my team has improved. For instance, My second cycle, I may have took a shot at one +4 to +6ish type guy, maxed a couple of +3s and maxed a safety +1/+2 with solid stats. Now that I've learned a bit more of what to expect, I'll try and max 2-3 guys in the +5 to +6 (or better range) and cover myself with net players.

Early on, you need bodies so it hurts a lot more if you miss out on a class than if you've got 3 classes returning. So you want to make sure you get 3 non-walk on players. And don't be afraid to start +1 or +2 players. You can always recruit over them in later seasons. My team has won 19 games 2 seasons in a row now and all while starting a +1 center. While, I'd love to have a Frankfort type center, it's simply harder to recruit bigs than guards and you've got to find quality players. Norris (A net hand me down) has scored more points 592 as a SO than my first +6 Monroe Crandall 587 did in 4 years. Crandall was part of that first half season recruiting class which taught me several valuable lessons in DTL Recruiting. Norris is also on pace to become the 2nd leading rebounder in Boca history.

So while I could start a +3, +4 at center now over Norris, production plays a big factor in setting your lineup.

* Sorry for the novel, just wanted to share my growing pains *

Last edited:
Great advice. I think I'll probably get the upgrade since I mostly play at work and don't have the time to sift through the reports one by one. I'll look for mostly bigs, but spend a few points on guards who could be an upgrade.

Is it worth $5? imo, absolutely. As a small program, tedium in clicking recruits one at a time and taking notes, pretty much limits the number of regions you can (choose) to recruit from. With a spreadsheet that comes with the upgrade, you can use your mad Excel skills to recruit effectively in every region. I think the spreadsheet alone is worth it, but you also get 83 RP's to spend and 20 schollies, too.

First, don't let the RP's burn a hole in your pocket. Resist the urge to spend too quickly. I won't spend any RP's until next Wednesday after the 5th HS game. Then, I'll have a better bearing on who is legit and who is not. Now, just collect data and evaluate. Run some HS scrimmages.

You are correct in that you should be recruiting bigs. In your region and in +2 regions away and -2 regions away (5 total regions), you are looking for bigs with a high Local Preference. You'll also want recruits with a low to mid Win Preference (low=apathetic about playing for a winner, med=playing for winner somewhat important (Duke, UNC, Kentucky), high=wants to play for Frankfort). Beyond the 5 local regions, you will want recruits with a low Local Preference (they want to go away to school). You'll still want Low-Mid Win Pref. Since you have PT to offer, if the recruit has a high Impact Preference, the better for you. Don't worry about your current players, I doubt they'll scare any recruits away.

I just felt I needed to make a correction to this post Awaken

Back