• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

That's the thing. Evans had Poor Athl and got his at 3 positions, regardless of the competition for 4 years. He averaged 20 and 5 for his career and scored single digits in only 5 regular season games. And I've definitely had Good/Good Sht/Athl guys who didn't fit the bill along with ones who did.

Evans was like 6'11 wasnt he? That would explain it to me.. also, ive noticed poor athletes with high intelligence have a much better track record, in short they can think there way around their lack of ath.

Evans was like 6'11 wasnt he? That would explain it to me.. also, ive noticed poor athletes with high intelligence have a much better track record, in short they can think there way around their lack of ath.

For that reason we need a socks rating.

Yep, and I think the compensation can go both ways, too. Here's a story from my friend who introduced me to the game: He had a 6'6 FFFFEE player he couldn't find a position for. His Fairs got him benched for a while, then he played bSG-bSF. Nothing quite worked. On a whim, he put him at PG, and the team took off - didn't lose another game and won the NTT. So apparently Int and Ath are very important at PG, and can compensate for Fair ratings elsewhere. Not sure how repeatable, or specific, that story is. I don't think my friend ever tried to replicate it. But it is neat how many different ways there are to be successful in this game - it is not cookie-cutter.

Sorry I am late on responding to this (travelling this week) but all I know is my team has performed far better this season with +4 ath in the starting lineup than it has the previous 2-3 seasons with +1 ath in the starting linup with similarly skilled players for most of those positions.

Between int and ath, ath seems far more valuable than int.

The key is almost. If you can get 1 or 2 of those guys out of the net, you're in good shape. My last few net players have been serviceable players in the GGGFFF range.

Yeah, I just seem to lose 'em whether clear or in ties. :plos:

Sorry I am late on responding to this (travelling this week) but all I know is my team has performed far better this season with +4 ath in the starting lineup than it has the previous 2-3 seasons with +1 ath in the starting linup with similarly skilled players for most of those positions.

Between int and ath, ath seems far more valuable than int.

Overall I agree that Ath > Int. Ath is more like shooting and defense in it's direct impact to the game. I think Int is more subtle, and its benefits can be overlooked or attributed to other things. For example, I think Int goes into shot selection, not fouling (taking a better position, not reaching in), and quality of passes to teammates. If someone doesn't shoot well, we think they just don't shoot well or have an x "minus" attribute. We attribute fouling to the other team's athleticism instead of our smart/dumb aspect of defense. I think the quality of passes received from smart teammates improves a player's "being open," and increases their shooting %.

Anybody benefits from being more athletic, but some players don't need to be smart. Ex, a catch and shoot SG with G/E shot and G/E ath can be dumb as a brick. Due to his shot and ath, he's going to be "open," and he just needs to shoot without conscience. Conversely a dumb PG just throws the ball around the perimeter, where a smart one makes the entry pass to the post where the PF or C can score on the blocks.

SF's need at least Fair Int to avoid inbounds turnovers, which makes me think there is a "clutch/composure/poise" factor included in Int. I think this affects late game TO's and FT's. Reading the PbP, we attribute this to bad luck. Some say Int is a measure of "potential" - that smart players apply themselves and improve more.

Great take, Coach awaKen. I have two Poor Int SGs right now who are lighting it up as evidence of your point.

I made a few changes to the roster to try to boost the offense. We played a crap team today but there were some good signs. First, I moved scoring SF Adam Cox to PG. Looks like he and stud SG Ernest Morin liked the move. They combined for 61 pts on 27-43 shooting in 63 minutes.

Second, I noticed my C Peter Murphy was getting a ton of offensive boards but not putting them back up. I changed him from 1/1 to 3/1 and he had his 2nd double digit game of the season after not scoring in double digits his first two years. He had 11 and 11 including 8 offensive boards and 5-10 shooting. We'll see if it helps long term. Going through the PbP, I definitely saw he gets a good number of assists from his offensive boards, a reasonable explanation of why he averaged 3 ast last year.

All good on the recruiting front. No change. In total, 89 players have been on the Top 75. 54 of them were on my list.

Good lord Ph, 61 points from your 1 and 2 :eek:

Flagstaff played really well offensively in a victory over conference 32 runner up from last year, Santa Fe. The fire engines couldn't put out the flames that are Angelo Pedigo and Albert Stone. They combined for 45 points on 21 of 30 shooting. We had 5 guys in double figures and won by a margin of 105-81. I guess you can say we struggled defensively, but our zone coaxed Santa Fe into 39 3 point attempts, making only 10. I'll take that. We only hit 13-23 free throws so that needs to improve.

This win also marked what I consider a pretty impressive accomplishment for Flagstaff. That would be 66 conference wins in a row. In the last 7 seasons, plus the first game of this eighth season Flagstaff is 91-1 in conference. I'd love for a conference foe to step forward but I just don't know if this group of coaches has it in them to continually recruit well enough to compete with us. While I say I wouldn't mind a rival in conference, I also don't mind stomping them all repeatedly haha.

Recruiting still looks the same, Deaver is still NR which would be a great thing if he is a CL. Really would allow me to only need one net find or a tie win to pull in yet another top 20ish class.

Oh, and i just looked at the HS stars of the game and some of the numbers are stupid. My 3 big recruits (Naquin, Deaver and Doucette) put up a combined 89 points and 29 rebounds lol. Oh, and Norcross put up 44. Some of these HS guys must be awful or this class of "star" players are just stupid good.

Anybody played Daryl McCain in a scrimmage? He is a 6'4" SG from region 16 (he is from Cincy so I had him in my last two scrimmages). He has been lighting it up (19 & 27 points agains F+ defender and G- defender), but his measurables are awful (G-P-FF-G+). He has also shown up twice in the last 3 HS Stars. I added him just for fun to my scrimmage list since he is from Cincy, but now I am thinking I need to at least throw a scholarship his way.

Also, 4-0 start to the year, my excellent ath PF put up 18/7, good thing I left him in. I haven't played anybody good yet, though, feels like I'm the Virginia Tech of League 7.

Anybody played Daryl McCain in a scrimmage? He is a 6'4" SG from region 16 (he is from Cincy so I had him in my last two scrimmages). He has been lighting it up (19 & 27 points agains F+ defender and G- defender), but his measurables are awful (G-P-FF-G+). He has also shown up twice in the last 3 HS Stars. I added him just for fun to my scrimmage list since he is from Cincy, but now I am thinking I need to at least throw a scholarship his way.

Also, 4-0 start to the year, my excellent ath PF put up 18/7, good thing I left him in. I haven't played anybody good yet, though, feels like I'm the Virginia Tech of League 7.

Since his prefs are against you, I wouldn't invest too much in him, but a point or a scholly may mean you are clear at the reveal IF no one else is one him. Given his Poor defense, that is possible.

I have him EPFGPG. Sometimes recruit's defense is not shown in steals and blocks, but in FGA%. If that is the case, he may manage Fair defense and be a steal. So check his FGA% in scrimmages, and invest only what you can spare. If someone else is on him, you're screwed. But yeah, Exc shot and G ath means he can light it up. Even with Poor defense he can be a bSG and average > 10ppg (a pt/min as some measure). Chances are he won't face another bSG who could exploit his poor defense too badly. Fair defense, he starts (EFFGPG is a lot better).

Last edited:
Dearborn was able to scratch by Bloomington last night 73-67. i am starting to turn this team over to Jimenez more and more as the season progresses.

Dearborn PG, Emmons, is currently leading the league in assists at 8 per game...he is also getting 2.2 spg which puts him at #8 in the league. not bad for a 0/0 player and only a JR! last season he got 7.1 per game but his turnovers were much lower than this season (0.8 compared to this season's 1.8topg). regardless, he has been a pleasant surprise and i expect those tos to drop as i play less talented teams in conference.

still uncertain if i will stay on all 4 of my maxes or drop 1 to work on my net...:confused:

I never check HS Stats unless somebody here mentions it. It may be the X factor in terms of the Top 75. I wish I had collected data on how often players are on it in the first 5 games.

I never check HS Stats unless somebody here mentions it. It may be the X factor in terms of the Top 75. I wish I had collected data on how often players are on it in the first 5 games.

Ph, do u mean you dont us HS Stars or HS stats period?

Stars. Sorry.

Thats what I thought. Since you are using hs stats id say the variation of your system now and one that uses hs stars would be minimal. Guys are going to recruit players with good stats regardless, them being on the hs stars list just is another pin in the hat. Hs stats and hs stars are directly correlated so id say its rather redundant. Just my two cents:werd:

Thats what I thought. Since you are using hs stats id say the variation of your system now and one that uses hs stars would be minimal. Guys are going to recruit players with good stats regardless, them being on the hs stars list just is another pin in the hat. Hs stats and hs stars are directly correlated so id say its rather redundant. Just my two cents:werd:

Maybe. Seems like a consistent 15/7 big may not make the list as much as a guy who alternates between 20/10 and 10/4 games.

Also it highlights players for Small programs who don't have the list.

Maybe. Seems like a consistent 15/7 big may not make the list as much as a guy who alternates between 20/10 and 10/4 games.

Also it highlights players for Small programs who don't have the list.

True, but creating a program/system that takes every variable into account would be something that would be pretty time consuming. Idk how long it took you to come up with your current system but id say its pretty good the way it is:thumbsup:

At the risk of sounding inexperienced. What is and where do I find HS stars?

Recruiting still looks good in Boca. I like my chances at getting 2-3 recruits out of my maxes. Certainly have enough in the net to come away with 3.

True, but creating a program/system that takes every variable into account would be something that would be pretty time consuming. Idk how long it took you to come up with your current system but id say its pretty good the way it is:thumbsup:

Not really. I'd just add how many times a player made HS Stars by Game 5.

Back