• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

Boca defeated conference foe Gulf Shores 89-56 on Tony Gonzalez's 22 pts and 5 assists.

Recruiting results pretty good:

Michael Gonzalez CL
Erin Atkins 1/1 - sugarbuzz and his Miami Vice is my recruiting nemesis. Seems he always goes for the same guys as me.
Rene Naquin (1) 8/8
Mo Poisson (39) 3/3

9 other potentials in the net. Now to decide what to do point wise...

Recruiting looking good for me. I maxed 4 players every week (I know, not the best strategy), and they came in at a 3/3, 0/0, 0/0, and 1/1. At this point, should I back off the two 0/0s a bit to find a replacement for the 3/3?

No, you don't want to lose them and those #s are great. 2 CL, 1/1 and 3/3.

If anything, I would maybe drop the 3/3 to move on someone in your net. Great job.

We're 4-5 on the year, so let's just move on to recruiting:

Boyd Cason and Theodore Via came in at 3/3. I can live with that. Darrick Hulett's a 2/2 which seems reasonable. Only one clear lead in my net, but I've got about 5-6 guys I'd feel ok with maxing the rest of the way and I'm in the lead or tied for them. Brett Sagers is one I'm definitely maxing. I'll run a scrimmage or two to figure the rest out.

Last edited:
Recruiting looking good for me. I maxed 4 players every week (I know, not the best strategy), and they came in at a 3/3, 0/0, 0/0, and 1/1. At this point, should I back off the two 0/0s a bit to find a replacement for the 3/3?

How many players are you contending for in your net? Are you a large program? Your best strategy would be to put 8-10 points on your maxes each week and keep maxing your 3/3 and 1/1. That gives you room to max one other player in your net, two depending on how many points you have left.

Banner day for the Duluth Bullish Deacs. The only blemish was that we lost to Boca 75-72 in a scrimmage. The other two scrimmages and the regular season game went very well. Duluth is back folks.

We beat 5-4 Pueblo 104-41 in what has to be my biggest margin of victory against a team with a winning record. We held them to 17-54 shooting and doubled them up on rebounds and FTAs.

We also beat Dearborn 76-60 and Flagstaff 94-69.

The big stars were my starting SG and SF Soph Ernest Morin and Sr Adam Cox. Here are Morin and Cox' scoring totals against Pueblo, Dearborn, Flagstaff, and Boca.

Morin - 29, 36, 28, 21
Cox - 39, 16, 30, 22

Morin is 9th in the league in scoring at 23.2 pts. Cox is 23rd with 21.1.

But the Duluth boards are really buzzing about recruiting.

Oh yeah. I went all in on three net guys. I could either have 7 good players at 0/0 or I could have 7 players at 1/1 and 2/2 and only enough points to max 4 of them. It's a big risk.

The risks paid off big time. First the maxes.

Dan Lash and Aaron Leadbetter came up 1/1. I have them as two of the top 5 PGs in the class. Only 5 of my net were maxed.

Lash is Fair+ Scouted GeeFe and I think he'll end up GEGFFG. Averaging 19.8 pts and 2.8 ast, the 1.9 turnovers probably scared some people off, but he's a lock down defender. Opposing PGs averaged around 4 turnovers per 30 min against him. It may have actually been more. Can't see him giving up the PG position if I get him. I'm in a toss up with New Haven. He's Good+ Win, but New Haven is pretty similar.

Leadbetter is Fair- Scouted eeGfg. I think GGGF_G is reasonable. Solid scorer and assist man in scrimmages. He's Exc+ Win and I have an edge on Glendale.

Duluth HS 6-9 C Warren Donnelly came out 0/0. This is a guy averaging 17.2 pts, 9.0 reb, 1.2 blks. Now he is only Fair+ Scouted gFFeF, but I think he'll probably end up GFFFEF which I could definitely use at PF. Sadly, I lost my hard drive with all my scrimmage results on it, but I think he averaged 17/7 even against some of the elite bigs in the class. If he can be a consistent 12/6 guy next year playing 25 minutes at PF, that would be huge. Originally I was going to high net him since I didn't think I NEEDED a big, but I'm very happy he's in the bag.

6-3 PG Fritz Curran isn't as much of a surprise 0/0 as Donnelly. Although he averages 23.4 pts and 2.2 stl, his 2.8 turnovers probably turned a lot of people off. But I just need a poor man's Morin at bSG. He's Poor scouted ggFfF. His scoring is pretty strong in scrimmages and his defense was solid as well. I think there's a decent chance he comes up EGFF_G. I'll take GGFF_G if he is the player he is in scrimmages. Of course, he isn't my 2nd choice and may be my 6th choice depending on how my net players look in scrimmages.

I high netted three of my net players and only Elwood Douglas was maxed, ironically by New Haven. I now have a 0/x lead for both of them. I can't talk too much about them yet but both are tweeners who are strong post scorers in HS and had great numbers in scrimmages. I may pref them over Curran if they look good at SG or SF in scrimmages. Both will probably be EFFFFG. Having a post scorer would allow me to play one of them at PF with Donnelly at C.

I'll max 4 and hold my 0/0s and figure out prefs after some scrimmages. I have some decent guards at 0/0 in my net. I'll pass on names by Friday to any who are interested.

Last edited:
Well looks like I got what I asked for in our scrimmage Ph! Don't understand how 1-3 we each played the same three guys as we did in our earlier scrimmage but I got outplayed so badly this game. Think this was more of an aberration for my guys and that we are pretty close in talent overall. The rebounding margin was also pretty staggering. Good game and congrats on the recruiting success.

As for Flagstaff, we picked up a 111-55 victory over a crappy Pasadena team. Pedigo had 21, Stone had 28, and Eric Sullivan had 21 in 17 minutes off the bench. Forced 21 TO's against only 5 for me.

As for recruiting i had a decent reveal.

Troy Deaver came in as a CL so that was nice. He's good scouted FGFG_E. He's G- rebounding and E- ATH and with his stats there is a chance he could drop in either so that would really make this CL a dissapointment. If he holds he'll be a great starter or backup down low for a team that needs post guys.

Jack Ovellette is a 6'5 C in HS that i thought might be overlooked so I threw some extra points on him. I was right and he is a 0/X. He is EXC scouted FGGG_G with a pretty good shot at G INT. Yes Please. All G attributes (besides ath) are +'s as well. Should be real solid PG/SF option that will play really good defense. Hope I can pull him in.

Naquin is 8/8 as already mentioned but only 4 total teams are really high win teams.

Yi is 4/4 with Flagstaff being the pretty obvious leader in winning.

Doucette is 5/5 with Flagstaff once again being the "favorite" to bring him to campus.

Really need to win Yi or Doucette as I don't have really any "stud" players left on the team, and lets face it, it's hard to compete against the elite of the elite teams in the NTT without one. Yi would allow me to guard the SG's that are killing me while Doucette would give me a souped up Albert Stone, forming one of the best scoring/rebounding tandems in the post i've ever had. Oh yea and then there is Naquin who would obviously going to be the best player on all bout 2 or 3 teams in the country instantly.

Going out on all 5 of these guys full time as not to lose any and in hopes of bringing in one of my 3 ties. Would be a pretty solid class with just Deaver and Ovellette but really need to add one of the others to keep me in the title hunt.

Our starting Cs fouled each other out which was a net win for me consider your guy is a 20/10 guy and mine is merely a defensive stud. My bC Valverde came up strong with 9 boards even though he went 1-6 from the field.

At some point, I've got to go all-in for one of the uber-studs. This just wasn't the time to do it though. I feel like Lash and Leadbetter will be elite PGs defensively which will help a lot.

Frankfort got a 96-91 win over Waterloo, who beat me this time last year and was #1 seed in conf tourney. I forgot to make defensive changes in my lineup, and his SG, PF both went off for 20+ on me. The SV Player of the Game was Henry Doyle. This is his stat line:
2/3 FG, 0-1 3FG, 8 reb, 3 ast, 1 blk, 2 stl, 4 pts. This is the least offense I've ever seen an POG get. Bernard Tuttle is not POG: 8/9 FG, 1/1 3FG, 3/3 FT, 1 reb, 1 ast, 2 blk, 20 pts. Odd, but whatever.

Recruiting:
Orlando Vance (10) is a 4/4 with good teams on him. We'll all go the distance on him.
Marvin Haynes (62) is a 1/1. Great value here for a 1/1.
Bob Lindstrom CL as expected.

Like Ph, I had high hopes for my net; but unlike Ph, I was somewhat disappointed as it produced no clear leads. I got KILLED by single maxes. This is the difference between recruiting guards and bigs. I get to fight for a couple of recruits where I lead 1/2 and 3/8. I need to decide if I want them or ... Brett Sagers. I'm 2 pts behind leader Carbondale, and have terrible Win prefs on him. He's a Good Scouted EGFE_G, which is extremely attractive for a net recruit. With Carbondale's recruiting history, I'm thinking this is like taking candy from a baby.

Here is how you recruit against Carbondale. Let the recruit visit Carbondale first. Let him see the coeds in their tent-like clothes. Then bring him to your campus, and be sure to include the dance department where he'll see athletic, flexible young ladies. Then you ask what he wants to see for the next four years: moo-moo's or tu-tu's?

Our starting Cs fouled each other out which was a net win for me consider your guy is a 20/10 guy and mine is merely a defensive stud. My bC Valverde came up strong with 9 boards even though he went 1-6 from the field.

At some point, I've got to go all-in for one of the uber-studs. This just wasn't the time to do it though. I feel like Lash and Leadbetter will be elite PGs defensively which will help a lot.

Hey Ph, I sent you a scrimmage back with Pedigo at SG to see just how bad he is going to get abused by a big time SG, and also to see just how much I can hide him at SG by running a zone. Just run the same lineup you did last time if you don't mind.

Same lineup as last night or the scrimmage before?

awaken, Sagers isn't bad. You could do worse. He scrimmaged well for me. Not elite numbers, but good.

Recruiting went decent for Akron Rowdies

Maxes
Via 3/3
Iyer 1/1

My power net yielded 6 players either 0/x or tied for the lead.

One I'm a lead on is 7'1" giant Ralph Rowan, who interestingly is leading league 7 HS in steals with 3.1/gm at the moment.

Brett Sagers. I'm 2 pts behind leader Carbondale, and have terrible Win prefs on him. He's a Good Scouted EGFE_G, which is extremely attractive for a net recruit. With Carbondale's recruiting history, I'm thinking this is like taking candy from a baby.

Here is how you recruit against Carbondale. Let the recruit visit Carbondale first. Let him see the coeds in their tent-like clothes. Then bring him to your campus, and be sure to include the dance department where he'll see athletic, flexible young ladies. Then you ask what he wants to see for the next four years: moo-moo's or tu-tu's?

Well, I would figure I'd measure up well against a dance team full of Scissor Sister- looking spandex wearers sporting moose knuckle, but whatever.

I'll max 4 and hold my 0/0s and figure out prefs after some scrimmages. I have some decent guards at 0/0 in my net. I'll pass on names by Friday to any who are interested.

Grats PH! I may be interested in a PG netter.

Sadly, I think they're SG/SF types.

I think the consensus is that recruits look at your PR (power ranking) the season in which they are a recruit, and then the two years preceding that season. So 3 years total. We think/know that it is weighted towards the most recent season and the 2 years back PF the least. There is also a "bonus" that you get when your team has improved its final PR for each of the 3 seasons considered by the recruit. Winning is defined as the PR of the team.

So if this is true, am I correct in assuming the following #s.

For Poisson (3/3) N-E-N- Prefs
Boca 4,24,36 (last 3 PRs)= 13.2 (60%/30%/10%) - Thought I saw that on the help sections.
Carnegie 18,5,40 = 16.3
Louisville 37,28,69 = 37.5
Manassas 65,18,66 = 51

So if I stay ahead of Carnegie in PR, I have the best shot at Poisson Winning Pref wise?

For Nanquin (8/8) F-E-P+
Philadelphia 5,1,24 = 5.7
Flagstaff 11,3,5 = 8
Pierre 14,1,27 = 11.4
Boca 4,24,36 (last 3 PRs)= 13.2 (60%/30%/10%)
Waterloo 47,13,6 = 32.7
Naples 87,34,57 = 68.1
Grand Rapids 79,52,79 = 70.9
Lancaster 138,77,72 = 113.1
Tempe 209,89,99 = 162

For Atkins (1/1) F+F+N-
Miami 33,52,29 = 38.3

I realize #1 doesn't guarantee a recruit, but you'd have more 'lottery balls' for his decision, correct? Assuming impact and local are identical for all teams.

Last edited:
I didn't realize Naples had fallen off like that. Wow.

Same lineup as last night or the scrimmage before?

awaken, Sagers isn't bad. You could do worse. He scrimmaged well for me. Not elite numbers, but good.

Same line up as you used in the most recent scrimmage against me, the one run last night please.

I realize #1 doesn't guarantee a recruit, but you'd have more 'lottery balls' for his decision, correct? Assuming impact and local are identical for all teams.

Storm, I think the 60/30/10 thing is probably about right, not sure if we know for sure but that's a decent rule to go by in my book.

As for the ranking teams by straight PR average and saying highest team will have the most "ping-pong" balls, second highest would have the next highest number, etc. I tend to side with the "tiers" model in which the recruit groups the programs recruiting him (as far as "winning is concerned) into different groups. I think of the tiers sort of like top 25 teams, top 50 teams, top 100 teams top 150 teams, everyone else. It's really hard to get into telling the difference in teams when one is ranked 6.8 average and the other is 8.3. Just don't see the computer ranking them that exactly. So IMO every team in each tier is equal in the recruits eye. Just like a real world recruit wouldn't choose between UNC, Duke, and UK because one was ranked top 5 one year while the others were only ranked 7 and 9. It's just so nitpicky and hard to distinguish those teams that I feel it's done like I just explained. Believe several others on here agree with this philosophy as well, although our ideas of the tiers may be different.

Also, don't forger that most believe their is an "improvement" win bonus that you get when your team's PR has risen for three years in a row.

For Poisson (3/3) N-E-N- Prefs
Boca 4,24,36 (last 3 PRs)= 13.2 (60%/30%/10%) - Thought I saw that on the help sections.
Carnegie 18,5,40 = 16.3
Louisville 37,28,69 = 37.5
Manassas 65,18,66 = 51

So if I stay ahead of Carnegie in PR, I have the best shot at Poisson Winning Pref wise?

For Nanquin (8/8) F-E-P+
Philadelphia 5,1,24 = 5.7
Flagstaff 11,3,5 = 8
Pierre 14,1,27 = 11.4
Waterloo 47,13,6 = 32.7
Naples 87,34,57 = 68.1
Grand Rapids 79,52,79 = 70.9
Lancaster 138,77,72 = 113.1
Tempe 209,89,99 = 162

For Atkins (1/1) F+F+N-
Miami 33,52,29 = 38.3

Its 55/35/10. And if you improve two seasons in a row, the last 10% is dropped so that it'll be 65/35. You're inline for that at the moment.

Boca defeated conference foe Gulf Shores 89-56 on Tony Gonzalez's 22 pts and 5 assists.

Recruiting results pretty good:

Michael Gonzalez CL
Erin Atkins 1/1 - sugarbuzz and his Miami Vice is my recruiting nemesis. Seems he always goes for the same guys as me.
Rene Naquin (1) 8/8
Mo Poisson (39) 3/3

9 other potentials in the net. Now to decide what to do point wise...

Blows me away how you guys are always able to find CL or lightly recruited stud guards on almost every cycle. I get solid guards but all of the "elite" guys that I go after are always hotly contested. Don't know if it's the difference in recruiting regions/active coaches (this is what i'd assume) but I want it to start happening to me!

Blows me away how you guys are always able to find CL or lightly recruited stud guards on almost every cycle. I get solid guards but all of the "elite" guys that I go after are always hotly contested. Don't know if it's the difference in recruiting regions/active coaches (this is what i'd assume) but I want it to start happening to me!

I'll trade you some guards for some bigs....

My personal belief is our regions and active teams within 2-3 regions has a huge impact with regard to what's available. Take Naples for instance. He tends to recruit big guys often 7' plus regardless of perceived ability.

I haven't quite figured out my conference members recruiting strategies. None of them are * computer controlled (maybe auto recruiting) but they also seem to rarely go after the same guys as myself, which helps. The one time that a conference foe did recruit the same player (Hutchings) the guy dropped off 1 week after the reveal, which could be due to the auto recruiter bug we were discussing. (out of pseudo credits) I'm still floored at that one.

One additional factor is where all the Deacon teams are conference alignment wise. While I have 3-4 that compete in regions 14-15, to my knowledge there are no Deacon coaches that compete in 11 and 12. In contrast there are at least 8 that range through Regions 16-19.

Last edited:
Back