• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

Anyone use the +/- stat? If so, how? What does it tell you?

I would assume it's similar to hockey? In case you don't know, in hockey, it's a measure of goals scored vs goals allowed while on the ice.

So for example,

Both of us are on the ice, we score a goal, both of us would get +1. I go off and someone else comes on, then the other team scores.

I'd be +1 still, you'd go down to 0.

So I'm assuming DTL is doing some form of that with shots or pts scored.

I imagine all of us know how plus-minus works. It's a hoops stat, too. The question is if it's useful without going through the play-by-play to check out lineups. I don't think it is. I used it to figure out team +/- back when there were PBP readers that spit out all kinds of stats. Player +/- without all that seems to lack utility.

OK, thanks for the sanity check. I was aware of its definition (like hockey), but was not sure what to do with it. The answer appears to be "not much." Seems a weird stat to apply to a match-up game like basketball. I could run clear outs for my LeBron James player, and the 4 teammates standing in the corners get points? And their defenders get negative points?

btw, in the test league I have the #1 team in recruiting rankings - 3 top 5 classes, 1 top 20 class.

Yea I use the plus/minus stat really only to check my bench guys or to compare two close players that I may be thinking of swapping a bSF for a starting SF. Really not all that helpful at either of those endeavors either but is something I put a little weight into.

Recruiting strategy question for you guys. I'm looking for a PG this cycle and I maxed a guy who I thought is good, but was a decent bet to come in as a 1/1 or CL. Dude is currently still the #13 most recruited player in the country. I've got 3 other maxes that I am fine staying on til the end due to either their talent or where they are currently ranked. My question, does it make sense to drop him a week before the reveal and switch those points to an UR player that I like a lot at this stage in the game? I really am considering it given that the #13 recruit has not dropped at all yet and I think at this point it's foolish to assume he is ranked that high solely by being netted a lot. What are you guys thoughts?

Recruiting strategy question for you guys. I'm looking for a PG this cycle and I maxed a guy who I thought is good, but was a decent bet to come in as a 1/1 or CL. Dude is currently still the #13 most recruited player in the country. I've got 3 other maxes that I am fine staying on til the end due to either their talent or where they are currently ranked. My question, does it make sense to drop him a week before the reveal and switch those points to an UR player that I like a lot at this stage in the game? I really am considering it given that the #13 recruit has not dropped at all yet and I think at this point it's foolish to assume he is ranked that high solely by being netted a lot. What are you guys thoughts?

He probably is in a lot of nets, which may make him less contested than the typical #13 recruit but I'd imagine he's still in the 3/3 to 4/4 range at least. If he was ranked 25-40 would you stay on him?

Personally, I'd drop him (unless you have other UR maxes that may come in a CL) and use the points in your net. W/ 15 rpe a week you're basically limiting yourself to at most 1 ok net player and there's no guarantees you get that if you don't have leads at the reveal. So unless you're comfortable riding your maxes, you're going to need to drop one, and he seems like a prime candidate.

Fwiw, I've had a couple busts w/ guards w/ that kind of profile so I may be a bit biased, but it'll be a while before I get into any kind of tie for a pass only pg.

I don’t think it’s worth it to max a PG. I did it for my junior class and I got two PGs and a pass first 6-7 SF who have good ratings but haven’t been all that great.

Apologies if the definition wasn't needed or overkill, I just didn't want to assume. :)

I don’t think it’s worth it to max a PG. I did it for my junior class and I got two PGs and a pass first 6-7 SF who have good ratings but haven’t been all that great.[/QUOTE

Ehhh, I think that’s more due to who you maxed. I maxed 3 PGs that are now my seniors and now I’m a top 10 team. I think it matters more that you max the right guys that fit well together. Scoring guards when need them etc.

You guys reinforced my thoughts on dropping this guy though. Thanks for the feedback.

What are your PGs rated?

Here are those PGs in my junior class:

Brody Nicholson - 6-4/215 GGGGFG 6.2 pts, 3.8 ast, 1.8 stl 48/10/50 percentages (yes 10% 3pt, 50% FT with Good Sht)
Dylan Bridges - 6-2/204 GEGFFF I moved him to starter this year and he had 4 turnovers in each of his first three games.

Apologies if the definition wasn't needed or overkill, I just didn't want to assume. :)

No worries. Can't go wrong underestimating what I know!

Cincy scrimmages seemed to indicate that my team wants to play Fast. Crushed a 200 team that way, proving nothing. Lost to better Myrtle Beach team today, again proving nothing. Fritted away a modest 4Q lead by being stuck on 54 pts for 4 minutes. This is the mark of poor Stamina. I didn't think kmoney had coded stamina yet? Should we be practicing it? I've avoided it thinking it was not coded yet. Looking at box score, FTA was the difference in the game, and it was not just due intentional fouling late.

In recruting, I dropped off
Cristopher Wright (8)
Jackson Ferguson (9)
as they were not really worth the ties they were going to be. They are not Top 10 recruits, imho.

Still on locals
Kaleb Pan (15) 7-0
Mike Melnick (31)

..and pray an expanded net is kind to me.

I view the +/- as efficiency in the team. When the player is on the floor the team out scores the other team by so many points or vice versa. It looks that way to me...so I adjust minutes to those the have a better +/- ratio. It is much harder for bench guys as it is extrapolated when averages to 30 minutes stats.

We have moved to 5-1 and only loss to #26. Our schedule is not really hard this year, so good teams will knock us in the chin...have to see how they recover. The new game is odd as players don’t really improve, I would even say that a lot regress every season. A good example (he is not the only one, but a current one) is Peter Wilson my SG (http://drivethelane.com/player?pid=p2E2F49E936). Every season just a little worse and I can’t fix him, I have consistently altered his shooting and minutes. I just don’t get it.

What are your PGs rated?

Here are those PGs in my junior class:

Brody Nicholson - 6-4/215 GGGGFG 6.2 pts, 3.8 ast, 1.8 stl 48/10/50 percentages (yes 10% 3pt, 50% FT with Good Sht)
Dylan Bridges - 6-2/204 GEGFFF I moved him to starter this year and he had 4 turnovers in each of his first three games.

Ryan Percell is GGGFGG and has been a good player for us. Larry Gary is a EGEFFG.

I recruited both as PG's and was lucky enough to land both so I have moved Gary to SG where he was probably better suited to play in the first place. Net bPG Matthew Wieck is GEEFPG and has bumped on his shot and defense. He has played some at PG for me and would be fine as a starter but I prefer Percell given the make up of the team and preferring a scorer at PG.

On an unrelated note I think that INT plays a much larger role in the new iteration of this game than in the past version. Testing that out this season with my recruiting.

Definitely agree on INT. I’m trying to figure out a system that is more based on production than ratings.

Another miserable foul game for me - there doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to who is fouling and why, but gave up 35 free throws, in the double bonus after only 7 minutes in the first half. Just frustrating because not sure what I can do.

Definitely agree on INT. I’m trying to figure out a system that is more based on production than ratings.

Yea it certainly seems like that is the way to go. The guy that really seems to have flipped this team around compared to last season is junior Ethan Jackson. Hes a +5 at GFFGEG but I have always sort of ignored INT when thinking about how good a player is so I looked at him more like a +3 that was a defensive liability. That was a mistake. He has really excelled as the starting SF and has really unlocked this team and it seems like his defense is improved by his INT as he has not been lit up like I expected. Interesting to see if I can land some high INT guys this cycle and see the results.

Ugh, of course, all 3 of my maxes are now top 75 after having them all drop out at the end of last week.

Any chance you guys think a players attributes are tied to what his desired/best position is? For instance, is an EXC shooter that is a C not actually as good of a shooter as a guard that is an EXC shooter?

I've been thinking a bit about that the last few days seeing how well my team is rebounding with the addition of my freshman C. Last season I had two EXC rebounders but they were 6'8 and 6'9. This season, I have an EXC and a GOOD but have added a lot more size replacing the 6'8 guy with a 6'11 guy. Not sure if the 6'8 or 6'9 guy I had at C last season who was an EXC rebounder maybe has his best position as a PF and he's an EXC rebounder at PF but maybe that doesn't stack up to a true center's rebounding? It's either that or something as simple as size is just way more of a bonus in this iteration.

Yes. And that was the main reason to do scrimmages.

Back