• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

Pretty garbled. I'll post recruiting next.

# Recruit (Top 75#) Reg. RPE Top Sch Curr Wk Priority RPE Top W-3 W-12
1 Devin May 21 67 67 0 0 0 67 67 0 0
2 Jakob Abercrombie 28 59 59 0 0 0 59 59 0 0
3 Mark Couch 9 54 54 0 0 0 54 54 0 0
4 Robbie Sancho 22 54 54 0 0 0 54 54 0 0
5 Ollie Watts 4 53 53 0 0 0 53 53 0 0
6 Harland Young 13 43 43 0 0 0 43 43 0 0
7 Todd Sheppard 29 42 42 0 0 0 42 42 0 0
8 Randy Stone 16 34 34 0 0 0 34 34 0 0

I'm not sure if this even helps.

Pl # Player Pos Ht YR SHT DEF HANDS REB INT ATHL COND SUB OUT SHOOT SHT3
12 Gerry Place 6-2 Fr Fair Fair Good Fair Good Fair 10
5 Richard Fox 6-6 Jr Good Poor Good Fair Good Fair 10
9 Justin Brand 6-5 So Good Fair Poor Fair Fair Fair 10
11 Keith Mattingly 6-6 Fr Fair Fair Good Fair Fair Fair 10
10 Haywood Lewis 6-6 Fr Fair Good Good Fair Fair Fair 10
8 Trevor Vick 6-0 So Good Fair Fair Fair Fair Fair 10
6 William Lovelady 6-6 Jr Fair Fair Good Fair Fair Fair 10
7 Lee Turner 5-11 So Fair Fair Good Fair Fair Good 10
3 Dennis Becker 6-7 Sr Fair Fair Poor Fair Poor Fair 10
1 Andre Rhoads 6-8 Sr Fair Fair Fair Fair Fair Fair 10
4 Luther Wood 6-2 Jr Fair Fair Poor None Good Fair 10
2 Garrett Salazar 6-7 Sr Fair Poor Fair Poor Fair Fair 10

Bunch of guards here, not much on bigs. I'd say you need to max Watts the rest of the way and make sure he has a scholarship. You lose all height and he looks like he is an option at center, albeit not much of one. I'm at the beach currently but I'll give some more advice when I get a chance, I'm sure you will have plenty of other guys input though. Good thing about you recruiting though is that you are the clear leader for all of those guys so at least you have options.

I think only Couch and Watts are worth considering, and Couch is another guard - a position you don't need. Since you lead on everyone the cpu has targeted, I wouldn't bother putting many/any more points on Couch, Watts (and def nobody else).

I'm recruiting guards this season, so I don't have much insight in this year's crop of big men, but I'm thinking that a tall stiff > the short stiffs you got on your team now. You're probably not going to get a quality or decent big this season, so I looked up some modest bigs that MAY be available. Take a look at them and if you like them just put a point or two on them this week. You just want to see them in your Top 35 Friday night to see if anyone else is already on them. If so, back off; if not, keep putting points on them to secure a clear lead.

None: -2
Poor: -1
Fair: 0
Good: +1
Exc: +2

If I had to take a +2 big (+2 means Good in two categories), I'd choose Shooting and Athleticism. Probably nothing better available. So here are some bigs that may be overlooked, and might be good shooters, athletes.

Shooter?/Athletes
Name Region Hometown Height
Harold Gordon 5 Boston 6-7
Williams Corley 8 Kissimmee 6-10
Daniel Raisor 16 Milwaukee 6-7
William Munoz 3 Trenton 6-8
Rene Mendez 14 Canton 6-10
Larry Walker 7 Blacksburg 6-7
Dale Bunch 20 Duluth 6-7
Ronnie White 18 Waterloo 6-7
Janson Nicosia 28 Silver City 6-7

All these guys above aren't particularly big, but their athleticism makes up for it (warak won an NTT championship with a small, athletic team). These guys below are the tall stiffs I was talking about earlier:

At least they're tall
Steven Burgos 18 Grand Rapids 6-11
J.P. Manley 20 Kalamazoo 6-11
Freddie Blair 18 Paducah 6-9
Leonard Chance 17 Madison 6-10

Deacon coaches, let Diesel know if any of these guys are out of reach.

Next, general recruiting how-to for any new coach...

Recruiting

The first consideration in recruiting is the size of your program. If you play for free, you are a small program. About 50% of coaches choose to be a small program. If you pay $2/season, you are a medium program - hardly anyone does this. If you pay $5/season, you are a large program. The size of your program determines how many recruiting points and scholarships you have to spend and offer.

Small: 68 RP/wk, 14 schollies
Med: 75 RP/wk, 17 schollies
Large: 83 RP/wk, 20 schollies

Large programs get a csv file of recruits which makes it easier to query, sort, filter (and use all your mad Excel skills) recruits for targeting. Large programs also get to see which schools are competing with them for recruits.

When you are a large program, a special UTT Perks link shows up on your coach page:

wiwveo.jpg

Click that link and you'll see this:

2ec3xus.jpg

To actually browse (small program) and/or spend Recruiting Points on a recruit, click the "Recruit" link on the coaches page (center of page). It will look like this:

2vmssk8.jpg

Click on a Region/conference and browse recruit stats by region, and click on the recruits name to bring up his page. There, use the drop down to invest RP's, offer schollies, delete actions, and use Priority Points (PP comes later, not real important). Remember this is a transaction system, and transactions will be processed every MWF evening. Once processed, they cannot be undone/deleted. However, you can delete a transaction BEFORE it has been processed.

Freddie Blair 18 Paducah 6-9
Leonard Chance 17 Madison 6-10

Deacon coaches, let Diesel know if any of these guys are out of reach.

Next, general recruiting how-to for any new coach...

Blair and Chance are out of reach. Tyler Miller (r19) can be had. He's painfully average. but 6'7". So, maybe he's worth something? Steven Green (r16) is 6'10" and available.

Recruiting (cont)

Once you've decided on the size of your program, you need to come up with a plan on how to recruit. There are literally dozens of ways to plan your recruiting, and I'll let new coaches ask and old coaches to share theirs. Here is a plan I use as a large program:

83 RP in week 1 (reg season week 1, not exhibition week)
68 = 17 RP x 4 recruits (maxing four recruits)
15 = 1 RP x 15 net recruits
0 RP remaining
14 scholarships offered (no overlap to above recruits)

There is a 15 pt one time bonus for recruiting in week 1, so after recruiting is processed Friday evening of week 1, I have

4 max recruits at 32 RPE (my 17 + 15 bonus)
15 net recruits at 16 RPE (my 1 + 15 bonus)
14 net recruits at 15 RPE (my 0, schollie only, + 15 bonus)
33 recruits in all

83 RP in week 2
15 RP banked til next week

There is a one time13 pt bonus for recruiting new recruits in week 2 (and I have none), so after recruiting is processed Friday evening of week 2, I have

4 max recruits at 49 RPE (my 17)
15 net recruits at 16 RPE (no change)
14 net recruits at 15 RPE (no change)
33 recruits in all

83 RP in week 3
15 RP remaining + 15 banked in week 2 =
30 RP left
20 RP (either 4 or 5 RP) spent on net recruits to get them to 20 RPE (16+4, or 15+5). Let's assume for easy math it is 5 recruits at 16 RPE get +4 RP)
10 RP banked

There is a 11 pt one time bonus for recruiting new recruits in week 3 (again, I have none), so after recruiting is processed Friday evening of week 3, I have

4 max recruits at 66 RPE (my 17)
5 net recruits at 20 RPE
10 net recruits at 16 RPE
14 net recruits at 15 RPE (no change)
33 recruits in all

After week 3 recruiting, there is The Reveal. This is when the game lets everyone know how much competition they have for a recruit, and large programs also get to see the teams numbers of their competition. How much competition you have is expressed in the W3/W12 (within 3/within 12 of YOUR RPE). This number does not include you, so a 3/3 tie is you plus 3 other coaches.

This is what a large program's Top 35 looks like. I used a snippet from the middle of mine, so not to give away too much! :cool:

24dhbme.jpg

When RPE=Top, then you lead (or are among leaders) for that recruit. I lead for Edward Weeks at 16 RPE, and I (#137) have no competition for him. My W3/W12 is 0/0, and my team number is the only one listed in Teams within 12 pts of the Lead. Tim Coleman got maxed (his current 83 RPE is 66 +17 for week 4), and I only have 16 on him. The leading teams are listed on the right - he's a 3/3 tie. But notice that he is a 12/12 relative to my 16 RPE - so there's a boatload of guys like me hoping he wasn't maxed. Oh well.

Notice I banked 10 RP above. There are 5 recruiting weeks left in the season.

83 RP in week 4
85 = 17 RP x 5 recruits (four max recruits + now maxing one netter)
-2 RP drawn from bank.

Weeks 4-8 are the same - maxing 5 recruits to the end by drawing 2 RP/wk from my points banked. So I max 5 to sign 3. Depending on how risky you are in recruiting, you'll sign 1-2 maxes, and hopefully at least enough netters to make 3 total. If not, you get walk-ons. You don't want walk-ons - they suck.

Four titles, and two losses in the championship game. :plos: Lots of Deacon coaches have won championships: warak was the first among us in season 47. deac529 won in Phoenix. Ph has been in the championship game twice, and deac529 once before his title.

I made a bunch of screen prints, and have to use them before I lose the url...

Go to Misc, Past Champs :D

20jgrj5.jpg

Taken from DS, Deacon coaches in L7 (as of last year). For new coaches looking to get in a conference with a fellow Deac or avoid Deacs altogether:

Region Team Coach
2 Providence Deamons oldgldbrd
3 Scranton Deacsfan27 deacsfan27
4 Cooperstown Demon Deacons wakeforest
9 Sarasota Old Gold Deacs bojanglefu
12 New Orleans None More Black chauncyd
12 Biloxi GSODeacs16 agp1615
12 Indianapolis Palmetto Bugs pharmdeac
13 Boca Raton Storm stormfury
15 Dearborn Warak's Deacs warak
16 Youngstown Squires kigerfor3
17 Akron Rowdies kytihu
18 Frankfort Deacon Blues awaken
18 Carbondale Violence simplex10
18 Flint Firestarters dieseldeac
19 Lexington Deacfan deacfan2
20 Chicago Golden Deacons ntndeacon
20 Duluth Bullish Deacs phdeac
22 Colorado Springs Dodger Dogs dodgerlax
28 Lake Tahoe Barack Bombers wakeme
29 Las Vegas Spooks naudat
31 Eugene Travelers turftoe
32 Phoenix Paladins deacon529
32 Flagstaff whippersnappers pilotdeac

Last edited:
I made a bunch of screen prints, and have to use them before I lose the url...

Go to Misc, Past Champs :D

20jgrj5.jpg

Can we please not post this again. Flagstaff feels so dumb :tard:

I was a huge favorite in that Season 54 championship game. I was a #1 or #2 seed and league rival Pueblo was a cinderella. If I remember correctly, I lost that game on a last second shot.

I had no chance against Cambridge two seasons later.

holy cow it has been a long time since i was in the championship game...a ton of final 4s and gr-8s but can't get back to the big game!

awaken...you make me sick! having said that, great write-up.

btw...you want competition?

conference 15 is represented by 3 different teams in that list! Nashville is a FSU guy but in on all Deacon tournaments.

Thanks for the great advice. I'm putting a point or two into your list of bigs. It seems like I've got a good lead on the cpu targets since no one's in the top 12 but me, so I'll take a week off their rp's.

When recruiting, do you just go region by region and look at the positions you might need player by player? Is there an easier way? Not that I mind, just wondering if I'm doing it right.

Being a large program seems pretty advantageous for $5. I think I'll give it a season or two before upgrading to get the hang of it. How long does each season last?

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Thanks for the great advice. I'm putting a point or two into your list of bigs. It seems like I've got a good lead on the cpu targets since no one's in the top 12 but me, so I'll take a week off their rp's.

When recruiting, do you just go region by region and look at the positions you might need player by player? Is there an easier way? Not that I mind, just wondering if I'm doing it right.

Being a large program seems pretty advantageous for $5. I think I'll give it a season or two before upgrading to get the hang of it. How long does each season last?

Large programs get access to an excel file with all recruits and their details. Its painful without it.

Each season is 9 weeks: A game on MWF. 1 week of exhibition games. 6 weeks of regular season / conf tourney. 2 weeks of national tourney.

That's one advantage you get with the Large Program and Honestly, I don't see how you could feasibly do recruiting without being large. Basically, you get an excel spreadsheet with all the data about the recruits as a Large Program. After you get that, you can get as sophisticated as you'd like with the data. In excel you can filter and sort. I personally export the data and input it into a SQL Server Database I created. Then I can query based on specific needs or ratings etc. I wouldn't waste the $5 to upgrade this season but you might want to consider it for next season.

Did a quick skim and didn't see it posted so i'll try and break down what the "preferences" for each recruit mean.

Local- Pretty obvious here, this is how much the recruit wants to stay close to home. By close, this means plus or minus either direction of your conference. So if you are in conference 20 you get a local bonus in the recruits eyes that want to stay local in conferences 18-22. He wants to stay local if he is anything above a Fair+ in this category. A recruit that Is Fair can go either way and kids that are some variation of POOR or NONE don't want to stay in region so i'd stay away from them. Variations of GOOD and EXC are your best bets in building your program as most consider the Local pref the most important.

Next we have Win. This as well is pretty obvious, how much does a kid want to play for a winning program. The only sorta obtuse thing about this preference is that having a NONE or POOR WIN pref doesn't mean he wants to play for a losing program, just means he doesn't have go to a championship program. I stayed away from GOOD and EXC win program kids until I built the program up.

FInally we have IMPACT. This is by all accounts the least easy to figure out. Some believe a kid with a Good or EXC Impact rating want to play for programs who are graduating starters around said recruits height, some think the kid looks at the program and sees how crappy they are and if he could start right away. Not quite sure on this myself but I always look at impact guys when i'm graduating players around their height or where i'd plug them into my lineup and it's worked out.

Hope this helps and that it was semi-readable and coherent.

Very helpful, thanks. Those weren't really addressed too well in any of the FAQs i've been reading.

Back