• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

Congrats to Ph and his Duluth squad for winning the DeACCon Invitational:

Team........ W.. L
Duluth.......5 - 1
Nashville....4 - 2
Frankfort....3 - 3
Flagstaff....3 - 3
Dearborn.....3 - 3
Boca Raton...3 - 3
Akron........3 - 1
Carbondale...3 - 2
Cincinnati...2 - 4
Rochester....1 - 5
Odessa.......1 - 4
Eugene.......1 - 5

2 of my recruits are in the most recruited - bubba Stevens is at #10 as a 6'5" pg and Arthur Vanmeter a 6'8" center at #68. Hoping to get both, need a big and my best PG is a senior.

Guess the Named Players theme (pretty easy, so provide details):
Navin Johnson
Orin Scrivello
Freddy Benson

Also expecting good classes out of Laramie and Arlington, if anyone wants to name some other players.

Answer: Steve Martin roles

Navin Johnson - The Jerk
Orin Scrivello - Little Shop of Horrors (dentist)
Freddy Benson - Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

I start out conference play tomorrow against my one of my biggest competitors in Conference 32, he has started at 3-0, i'm looking forward to pounding him into the ground, crush out all his hope before he gets on any kind of role. Their is no hope in conference 32, just repeated beatdowns from Flagstaff :D

2 of my recruits are in the most recruited - bubba Stevens is at #10 as a 6'5" pg and Arthur Vanmeter a 6'8" center at #68. Hoping to get both, need a big and my best PG is a senior.

We've got to do better about making sure our maxes don't overlap. I've been making my max decisions at the last minute so I'm as guilty as anybody, but it sucks to max somebody and find out you're going head to head with another Deac when you could have chosen somebody else and may have gotten them free and clear or not had to beat a Deac to do it.

Congrats to Ph and his Duluth squad for winning the DeACCon Invitational:

Team........ W.. L
Duluth.......5 - 1
Nashville....4 - 2
Frankfort....3 - 3
Flagstaff....3 - 3
Dearborn.....3 - 3
Boca Raton...3 - 3
Akron........3 - 1
Carbondale...3 - 2
Cincinnati...2 - 4
Rochester....1 - 5
Odessa.......1 - 4
Eugene.......1 - 5

Boca Raton was 4-2 in the Deacon Challenge.

Wins: Cincinnatti, Frankfort, Duluth, Dearborn
Losses: Flagstaff, Nashville

Last edited:
We've got to do better about making sure our maxes don't overlap. I've been making my max decisions at the last minute so I'm as guilty as anybody, but it sucks to max somebody and find out you're going head to head with another Deac when you could have chosen somebody else and may have gotten them free and clear or not had to beat a Deac to do it.

i agree and am also responsible...i waited until the last minute to put mine in and was still watching both boards to check if someone was naming one of my guys. i was wavering between Macklin and Baughman until the very last second. i should have gone with Macklin!

Sorry PH, I probably should have spelled out my maxes - I mentioned it a week or so ago, but it was half hidden in a message. Moving forward, I will do the whole bold, call out thing. My noob skills showing off.

Sorry PH, I probably should have spelled out my maxes - I mentioned it a week or so ago, but it was half hidden in a message. Moving forward, I will do the whole bold, call out thing. My noob skills showing off.

At least he is 3x more likely to go to a Deacon team!

Then that's double my fault. My bad. My bad.

The recruiting seasons keep falling on the worst times of the year for me. This time was the week before and the first week of classes. Next recruiting period is right before a major conference. Two before this was right before the end of last school year.

Think you had the wrong freshman picked as to which of your young guards would be the better player storm, not a bad problem to have haha.

Mo Poisson is currently 3rd in Freshman scoring (12th overall). 6th in Freshman assists (34th overall) and is shooting 55%.

I expect both Poisson and Atkins to improve their numbers as I face off against horrible Conference 13 competition. I'm also going to ramp up Atkin's shooting #s to see if he won't take more shots.

Atkins might simply need a year to mature.

Edit:
Poisson is on pace to score 580 pts this season which would break Tony Salazar's record of 536 set back in season 60.

Last edited:
Question - I am moving my freshman center into the starting lineup because my current center has been underwhelming to say the least. My freshman has the "None" hands - how negative will that be for turnovers since he is not in "ball handling" role? Besides having stone hands, he is Good shooter and Good rebounder - fair the rest.

Question - I am moving my freshman center into the starting lineup because my current center has been underwhelming to say the least. My freshman has the "None" hands - how negative will that be for turnovers since he is not in "ball handling" role? Besides having stone hands, he is Good shooter and Good rebounder - fair the rest.

One thing you can do to counter 'hands' is raise their shooting settings. Ie. Let's say you have a turnover prone Shooting Gaurd, you could raise that so he shoots more instead of looking to make passes. Obviously this wouldn't be the ideal situation at SF/PG due to their need to pass, but it can work on the other 3 positions.

Now this could also backfire as they might force shots that they shouldn't be taking. I guess it's kind of the area where coaching comes into play in this game. You have to experiment with lineups and shooting settings and tweak as you go.

The center does more ballhandling than you think. I remember a few years ago, one of the Sim Sports board posters found that the Center has the 3rd most touches. I'm sure it differs by team though. But one year my current C led the team in assists.

Good posts above. I tend to put better Hands at 1-3-5. I'd "hide" your None hands guy at PF with reasonably high shot setting.

Atkin's finds his stroke

Boca soared to a 106-58 win over Evansville lead by FR SG Erin Atkins and JR SF Bert Hutchings. Both Atkins and Hutchings netted 22 points. Hutchings also lead all rebounders with 10. Mo Poisson finally cooled off as he was held to 11 points on the night.

Recruiting:
Brice Truong (14) dropped slightly from Saturday.
Tad Board (11) dropped slightly from Saturday.
Jessie Martinez (18) - Increased again today. 37 spots since Friday.
Bryon Tobias (8) - Same

I've decided to drop off Martinez. To much activity and I'll spend the points in my net trying to get 3 CL. I'll be staying on Truong, Board and Tobias though.

Edit:

The 48 point victory was the largest in my tenure at Boca. Poor Evansville. It's going to be a long season for them.

Last edited:
Flagstaff started off conference play very nicely with a 106-87 win over a previously 3-0 Santa Fe. It could have been much worse than the 29 point victory as I was up 55-88 with 10 minutes to go and called off the dogs.

The thing I really like about this team, that I haven't had in years past is a very balanced offense. Every position I put out on the court can score the ball, at either the starter or the backup spot. I had 5 guys in double figures tonight. The man of the match was Freshman Rene Naquin. Naquin went for 15 and 15 with a block thrown in as well. Really just owned the paint. While Naquin's offense hasn't lived up to his prolific HS career his rebounding might be the best i've ever seen from a freshman. Playing alongside the 7'1 Albert Stone, a EXC rebounder, Naquin is averaging 10.8 boards (Stone is averaging 13.2 boards :eek:) only missing double figures in one game so far. Going to enjoy having him for 3 more seasons.

Dearborn - 86
Bloomington - 75

nice win over a conference foe that beat us for Marcus Tabb 2 seasons ago. my FR PG , Coyne, continues his strong play with a 11pts and 10 asts. he is averaging 8.8 apg so far this season! i need to figure out the correct lineup for this team but they are so inconsistent, so one game they will play great and the next crap...i am desperately trying to work this out before our game against Nashville, which has decided the C15 regular season champion the last however many seasons!

i am hoping the butterfinger Know, err...Colin, can figure out how to hold on to the ball but the last 2 seasons have been a frustrating as he turns the ball over about 2.5 pg when he starts. last night he only had 1, so that is a start!

next up is 3-1 Green Bay Superfly. they have a makeshift team but are always able to put a solid team on the floor. it should be a good game but i think we end up on top!

in recruiting news...
Alcock - #66 - trending ^, was NL
Lung - #20 - trending ^, was 54 (i think)
Hutchinson - #10 - trending <>, has always been around 10-16
Baughman - #43 - trending ?, all over the place! started #52, then #33

i have no idea what i am going to do with these guys!

We've got to do better about making sure our maxes don't overlap.

Tau,

It looks like we both maxed Paul Schrader in L15. I guess we need to do a better job communicating on maxes! Doh!

Facepalm

As to +4 being up there in the rankings, my experience so far (correct me if you have a different opinion Warak) is that it's a bit tougher to get guys in L15. So even the +3/+4 guys are more contested than they are in L7.

Tau,

It looks like we both maxed Paul Schrader in L15. I guess we need to do a better job communicating on maxes! Doh!

Facepalm

As to +4 being up there in the rankings, my experience so far (correct me if you have a different opinion Warak) is that it's a bit tougher to get guys in L15. So even the +3/+4 guys are more contested than they are in L7.

i think that the coaches in L15 have very specific strategies in recruiting. when you couple that with the less rpe, it can really put a hurting on you. your net has to have a lot of variability in the quality of players to ensure you have options. in L15 you will almost never have options on good net players with 15 or 16rpe! you need to get lucky on your maxes, winning ties and players you bump before the reveal...or you have to be able to scramble effectively!

Schrader was one of my best scrimmagers this season! i am surprised that he is #2 but was dominate defensively in scrimmages while his shooting and rebounding ability were starter quality...not easy to find! i have him very similar to Preacher(Father Mackenzie), i have on my Casper team now. Preacher is in his JR year and is just out of the top 10 in Casper all-time in steals and blocks (about 3 total D per season).

Back