• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

I guess I am in the minority, but I don't recruit around other coaches as a courtesy. While our competition is friendly, it is still competition. I used our posted maxes to get a sense of how much competition there is for a recruit (I may get scared off), and to help me manage my net (too late on Monroe Brim this year - grrrr). But for those who feel they have "called" or "reserved" a player, homey don't play dat, and I expect the same in return.

It would have been nice this year bc I put a scholly on Rodolfo Aguilar the Sunday the season began (I assume I am the first). I could have "called" him then (had I posted) - w00t! Maybe I should reconsider...nah. I'd hate it if the roles were reversed - RA could be the next Hanno Lear. This thin class makes overlap inevitable, and we did try to get in conferences together, right? Recruiting competition is inevitable - especially locally.

Just wanted to post my thoughts on the matter before I step on someone's recruit. Div, diesel, you've been warned; and feel free to do likewise.

I don't believe anyone expects calling or reserves. I certainly don't. Last cycle, I openly told Tau that I would be going after the same player- Rene. (Not sure who 'claimed' him first, doesn't matter) For me the expectation is just knowing going in that we're competing. This way both coaches involved can make a decision on the recruit in question or other maxes to compensate. (ie. Safer other picks)

Dang - my team sucks and it looks like I lost my starting PG. Does anyone know how I can check where and for how long a player is injured?

Yeah, I don't think anybody believes in "calling" or "reserving" a player. As you mentioned, it's best for managing the net. I screwed over a few of you on Brim and I got screwed on a few players.

For me, other people maxing a player can be a tiebreaker. If I knew the two 6-8 tweeners I maxed were already maxed, I probably would have maxed similar players I didn't know where maxed. I wasn't that sold on them. Still not actually. Depending on scrimmages, I may drop Lung and spend more on my net.

When I post a max on time, I'm not reserving a player, I'm just letting the competition know they're up against me so they can decide if they want to challenge me or not.

Last edited:
Dang - my team sucks and it looks like I lost my starting PG. Does anyone know how I can check where and for how long a player is injured?

Under League Information > Injuries tells you if the guy is out.

The best way is to check your stamina. If the player is 8 or 9 you can sometimes put him on your bench as bPOS and he may improve. If it's a vital player or lower than 8 or 9, you want to put him in NA for the night to let him rest up. I don't know of a way to see how long he is expected to be out.

OK, so we're all on the same page after all. Good.

Now I have chosen to defer on some players with Deac coaches. After Ph got his #1 class of clear leads, he shared his knowledge with us. I used his system and bumped into him on a 6'7 glue guy. He chose to not pursue him, and I signed him. Felt a bit like a schmuck. Several seasons later, we're both on a 6'10 recruit, and I chose to back off this time. Ph signed him (CL?) and he played SG for him at least one season. We're even now.

DiV and I were on netter Sagers last season. I chose not to battle his prefs against me, and DiV's RPE lead, so I went elsewhere. tau got Pedigo from my net bc I unwisely let the cpu choose the "best" player, contrary to my gut and rankings. Lesson learned on that one.

Yeah, thanks again for backing off Harvey Evans. He was a clear lead and the first of now three All-L7 players I've had who were +3 total or less. He was 6-11 and played SG, SF, and PF for me. He was my only good player for a few PTT seasons. He helped get the program back on track his last two years.

Tau,

It looks like we both maxed Paul Schrader in L15. I guess we need to do a better job communicating on maxes! Doh!

Facepalm

As to +4 being up there in the rankings, my experience so far (correct me if you have a different opinion Warak) is that it's a bit tougher to get guys in L15. So even the +3/+4 guys are more contested than they are in L7.

I maxed 4 guys off the bat in League 15 this season, with the intention of backing off of one, so Schrader being up that high made him a no brainer drop. I'm still on two bigs who are both also top 15 but will come in like anywhere from +5 to +7 but are not the complete package at C that Schrader is. I just didn't expect him to be top 5 recruited. Got a Guard that's still NR so i'm really hoping I can get him clear. Would be a huge guy for me.

And I agree with everyone else, I certainly don't expect any of you guys to back off any of the guys that I max, and I certainly won't if it's the best option I feel I have or if the kid is just a stud (Aguilar). We are all trying to bring in the best players so competition is going to happen with so many of us recruiting high win, low impact, low local prefs. It's just inevitable, and we shouldn't mind. I like awaken have usually decided on and put points on 2/3 maxes by the first regular season game.

I typically wait until after game 1 to narrow my list and do full scrimmages during game 2. But that fits my risk averse recruiting style.

Under League Information > Injuries tells you if the guy is out.

The best way is to check your stamina. If the player is 8 or 9 you can sometimes put him on your bench as bPOS and he may improve. If it's a vital player or lower than 8 or 9, you want to put him in NA for the night to let him rest up. I don't know of a way to see how long he is expected to be out.

His vital is a 3....shit. Welcome to the CollegeInsider.com tourney.

And I agree with everyone else, I certainly don't expect any of you guys to back off any of the guys that I max, and I certainly won't if it's the best option I feel I have or if the kid is just a stud (Aguilar). We are all trying to bring in the best players so competition is going to happen with so many of us recruiting high win, low impact, low local prefs. It's just inevitable, and we shouldn't mind. I like awaken have usually decided on and put points on 2/3 maxes by the first regular season game.

My friend who introduced me to this game insists that being first is an unwritten rule that "helps," but it is purely anecdotal and unsubstantiated on his part. He feels he wins more ties than usual and attributes it to being early. I am usually more like Ph and wait, and I really can't complain about my recruiting success, so I am not a believer. I noticed Aguilar early, and thought "what the heck? Can't hurt." I was real happy when I saw him at C in HS and his first game was 16 & 5. Since then, he's blown up - even for a 6'5 C. No hiding him now....

I reallly had no intention of maxing Jeff Odom - this is a guard class for me. I was going to post "Odom likes fat chicks" for DiV. But I was looking for a solid max at guard where I would have an advantage, and couldn't find one. One thing I learned about recruiting is to not have a single set-in-stone strategy, but a variety of strategies that fit different kinds of classes and team needs. I needed to ID what the class is giving me, and go with it. So, I decided on Odom (E- local, 6'10 from Frankfort, probably +5). Came here to post it, and saw DiV's post.... and for a second I felt bad for him. For just a second.

Now I have to hope Odom doesn't "go Turnage" on me. So if DiV signs him, it will be sweet retribution. If I sign him, it's lemon on a paper cut; and like Cartman, I'll be licking his tears. :tear:

My friend who introduced me to this game insists that being first is an unwritten rule that "helps," but it is purely anecdotal and unsubstantiated on his part. He feels he wins more ties than usual and attributes it to being early. I am usually more like Ph and wait, and I really can't complain about my recruiting success, so I am not a believer.

I wonder if/how we could test that. I used to get in early (pre-season) for that reason with 1 pt or a scholly, but didn't seem to help me even in favorable pref scenarios.

It would have to be a large experiment to get beyond a standard deviation, I would assume. Also, since we do not know the other hidden attributes, or even the weight given those we know, we can only roughly estimate our chance of winning. We could estimate our chance of winning a recruit at 25%, then claim advantage if we win 30% of the time, and never be sure our 25% is complete or accurate. It could be we had a 30% chance within the game the whole time.

But we can start with Aguilar. Anybody put something on him before Sunday?

I wait bc my decisions are better with more information. To me, that outweighs an advantage for being first/early.

I wait bc my decisions are better with more information. To me, that outweighs an advantage for being first/early.

Sure but when a clear stud that fits my prefs comes up, I might just want to put points on him day 1 :)

20 point win tonight against the team I believe to be the 2nd best team in Conference 13 Fort Myers. FR SG Erin Atkins has found his stroke as he lead Boca with 19. Norris 18, Poisson 15 and Hutchings 13. Chauncey Black whom Boca should have recruited a few years ago lead the game with 25 pts. We debuted in the rankings at #38.

Akron after their coach walked out this season is 5-0 and the highest ranked Deacon at #10 followed by Youngstown #11 and Frankfort #17.

Akron Rowdies #10
Youngstown Squires #11
Frankfort Deacon Blues #17
Carbondale Violence #19
Duluth Bullish Deacs #22
Chicago Golden Deacons #33
Boca Raton Storm #38
Flagstaff whippersnappers #63
Dearborn Warak's Deacs #68
Nashville Domination #84
Rochester Sandworms #89
Odessa Spooks #124
Eugene Travelers #125
Cincinnati Skyline Deacs #139
Flint Firestarters #180

Apologies if I missed anyone.

Yeah, the Chinese refs don't know not to be obvious. Our FTA ad is 19 (FTM ad is 17) on a 20 pt game. Boyd freakin' Cason with 39 for Carbondale; Bernard Tuttle with 27 for Frankfort. Bench scoring went 8-6 - HA!

If you pair Jeff Odom with Cason, watch out.

Flagstaff picked up a 114-93 win over a 1-4 Tacoma team. Kind of surprised it was that close. Rene Naquin also seems to be finding his grove, getting 25 and 8 in 25 minutes. I 4 other players in double figures once again. Flagstaff debuted in the PR at 63, i'm sure that wont be going up :plos:

Back