• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

^^ And I seem to recall they only use five ratings for Win, so IF the groupings for each are the same size, 256 teams/5 ratings = 50 teams per rating. Even if I'm mistaken, there's still 10 ratings, so 25 teams per rating. Moral of the story: if you're in the ballpark, you're OK.

I've been stressing about Charlotte and myself competing for Leon Cochran. I'm sitting at PR 32 and he's at 22. He's got 1 more win than myself this season, but I had 2 more wins than him last season. LY PR Boca: 36 CHA: 43. I do have the local edge, but man it's just to close for comfort. Pretty much reserved to losing out on Michael Tellier (4) but gotta keep my lottery ticket in hand. I have 4 clear leads, so I can gamble on getting Tellier and Cochran.

With regards to the NTT, Charlotte got the better 1st round draw as the 6th seed in Frankfort's bracket. (Take him down for me if he moves into the 2nd round!) Boca got the ever tough 8/9 matchup against Washington with the winner likely facing the #1 Oakland Donkeys (18-0 this season)

NTN, give me the skinny on Washington from your game against him.

I've been stressing about Charlotte and myself competing for Leon Cochran. I'm sitting at PR 32 and he's at 22. He's got 1 more win than myself this season, but I had 2 more wins than him last season. LY PR Boca: 36 CHA: 43. I do have the local edge, but man it's just to close for comfort. Pretty much reserved to losing out on Michael Tellier (4) but gotta keep my lottery ticket in hand. I have 4 clear leads, so I can gamble on getting Tellier and Cochran.

With regards to the NTT, Charlotte got the better 1st round draw as the 6th seed in Frankfort's bracket. (Take him down for me if he moves into the 2nd round!) Boca got the ever tough 8/9 matchup against Washington with the winner likely facing the #1 Oakland Donkeys (18-0 this season)

NTN, give me the skinny on Washington from your game against him.

Well Flagstaff got a 1 seed but I really don't like how my bracket is set up. Will have the winner of the Nashville/Stockton game in round 2 and if I advance past that i'm staring at a really tough team in either Bethlehem/Newark. Then If I make it through that round I have a possible rematch with Frankfort. Uncool. Glad to see so many Deacs in the field, hope one of us brings it home!

Duluth wins the C20 Championship in a thrilling 80-79 OT win over ntndeacon's Chicago squad.

We were down the whole game until the last 2 minutes and Chicago hit a 3 with 4 seconds left to tie the game at 70 and send it into OT.

The OT was pretty intense. Both teams traded 2-pointers and the lead over the last 2 minutes. Fr SG Morin hit the only two FTs Duluth shot all game with 30 sec left get the lead at 80-79. Chicago missed a 2-pointer for the win and we got the board to close it out.

Last edited:
Frankfort won the C18 tournament with a 99-89 win over Grand Rapids. Isaiah Stockdale was POG with 25 pts on 14 shots, 4 assists, 2 steals. Game was won on the FT where Frankfort enjoyed a 43-19 FTA advantage.

The Deacon Blues are the 3 seed in the southwest (lower left) bracket. Like tau, I don't like the matchups in this bracket much. While some of these teams could be paper tigers (untested, or not beating top 20 teams), they do have strong scoring where we are weak defensively. I don't like how many Fair defenders I have (at least some are good athletes). Columbia chupacabras are first, and their leading scorers are a 6'9 SG and a 6'11 SF.

Recruiting is going so well, it is downright boring. I am clear on 7 guards.

Ph, I sent you a PM.

Priority Points

Priority Points are perhaps the most overrated aspect of recruiting. I try not to use them, but occasionally they are useful. They are a tool that lets you tell the game which recruits you'd prefer to sign instead of letting the cpu pick the three best signees for you. This needs to be emphasized: PP may prevent other, better recruits from signing with you as you narrow your focus only on those you give PP to. I've had a +5 PG fall to me before - I think I only had 15-16 RPE on him, but his leaders didn't sign him (either they used PP on other recruits, or cpu selected three better recruits for him).

Here is a re-posting from pg 4 of how I think the recruit signing algorithm works:

1. All recruits pick a team according to preferences and RPE. There is no limit to the number of recruits a team can have at this point.
2. Teams with > 3 recruits get reprocessed individually. Recursion begins here.
3. Teams with > 3 sign top 3 according to Priority Points or cpu valuation
4. Spurned recruits re-pick as in #1. They may or may not eliminate the spurning school from consideration, depending on how much looping p6k tolerates. Continue down the list of schools with > 3.
5. Recruits with < 28 RPE may not select according to RPE and preferences. At some point, recruits just get mapped to teams with < 3 recruits. The process is likely abbreviated, possibly skipped altogether so the program will end in a timely manner.

Recursion of above continues until all teams have exactly 3 signees.

But when you have position specific needs, PP come in handy. I am in that position this year. In my class of guards, I want 2 PG's and 1 SG. If I get another combination, my roster will be out of balance. I am clear on 7 guards, so I need to manage who gets signed. I'll put 3 PP on my SG of choice, and 1 PP on my PG's. My SG will sign first (top priority) due to having more PP, and I'll let the cpu pick the two best PG's among those I put 1 PP on.

Here is my list:
Elmer Custis, r11, SG, 3 PP
Jodie Bothwell, r23, PG, 1 PP (he might get 2 PP)
Keith Gaus, r28, PG, 1 PP
Jared Eveland, r25, PG, 1 PP
Micheal Leary, r6, PG, 1 PP
Angelo Pedigo, r12, PG, 1 PP
Joel Klein, r14, SG, no PP, lost head-to-head vs Custis in HS Scrimmages. I think Milk and Cookies on under me on him.

Oh, they give you 100 PP to use, but there is no absolute value in the PP, just relative value to the other recruits.

Priority Points

Priority Points are perhaps the most overrated aspect of recruiting. I try not to use them, but occasionally they are useful. They are a tool that lets you tell the game which recruits you'd prefer to sign instead of letting the cpu pick the three best signees for you. This needs to be emphasized: PP may prevent other, better recruits from signing with you as you narrow your focus only on those you give PP to. I've had a +5 PG fall to me before - I think I only had 15-16 RPE on him, but his leaders didn't sign him (either they used PP on other recruits, or cpu selected three better recruits for him).

Here is a re-posting from pg 4 of how I think the recruit signing algorithm works:

1. All recruits pick a team according to preferences and RPE. There is no limit to the number of recruits a team can have at this point.
2. Teams with > 3 recruits get reprocessed individually. Recursion begins here.
3. Teams with > 3 sign top 3 according to Priority Points or cpu valuation
4. Spurned recruits re-pick as in #1. They may or may not eliminate the spurning school from consideration, depending on how much looping p6k tolerates. Continue down the list of schools with > 3.
5. Recruits with < 28 RPE may not select according to RPE and preferences. At some point, recruits just get mapped to teams with < 3 recruits. The process is likely abbreviated, possibly skipped altogether so the program will end in a timely manner.

Recursion of above continues until all teams have exactly 3 signees.

But when you have position specific needs, PP come in handy. I am in that position this year. In my class of guards, I want 2 PG's and 1 SG. If I get another combination, my roster will be out of balance. I am clear on 7 guards, so I need to manage who gets signed. I'll put 3 PP on my SG of choice, and 1 PP on my PG's. My SG will sign first (top priority) due to having more PP, and I'll let the cpu pick the two best PG's among those I put 1 PP on.

Here is my list:
Elmer Custis, r11, SG, 3 PP
Jodie Bothwell, r23, PG, 1 PP (he might get 2 PP)
Keith Gaus, r28, PG, 1 PP
Jared Eveland, r25, PG, 1 PP
Micheal Leary, r6, PG, 1 PP
Angelo Pedigo, r12, PG, 1 PP
Joel Klein, r14, SG, no PP, lost head-to-head vs Custis in HS Scrimmages. I think Milk and Cookies on under me on him.

Oh, they give you 100 PP to use, but there is no absolute value in the PP, just relative value to the other recruits.

awaken, I might put some points on Pedigo and get under you if you don't mind.

Fun fact about Flagstaff. We do a lot of things well but don't shoot the 3 ball worth a damn. Our two leading 3 point shooters on the season are our C and our bC. They are a combined 20-39 from 3 point land for a percentage of 51.2.
The rest of our team is a combined 9-64 for a blazing 14%. :eek:

awaken, I got your PM. Just trying to figure out what I'm going to do. I'll send you my thoughts.

awaken, I might put some points on Pedigo and get under you if you don't mind.

No, I don't mind. But realize he runs the risk of being the third PG signed. I'll give a synopsis of the PG's for those interested:

Keith Gaus, r28, PG: F- or P defense, which is a shame bc he has all the other tools. Hold your nose and let him play bPG?
Jared Eveland, r25, PG: Good scouted EFEFFF. Solid +4 scoring PG. cpu may pick him if others are not +4.
Micheal Leary, r6, PG: projects to FEeFgg; pass-first PG where the others are scorers. But he can defend. He could be +3 or +6. Where will those borderline, lowercase atts land?
Angelo Pedigo, r12, PG: combo guard who outscores more than defends. Probably available bc of low Int. Scrimmaged relatively well, though. Does he have the Hands, Int to run b/PG? Easily a handsy b/SG.

Guys, don't let the Monday holiday make you forget to submit lineups to tonight's games.

Boca's first NTT win under Coach Stormfury!!!!!!!!

:D

While we lead the whole game and by as many as 7, it was a nail biter as the guys had to hold on for dear life down the stretch. 79-77 was the final and Adam Varga came up huge with 23 points on 10/11 2/2 and 1/2 shooting. Varga was Boca's leading scorer and the games 3rd leading scorer.

Next up a real tough test in Oakland 19-0, the Bracket's #1 seed. Any advice you guys have for lineup changes feel free with the suggestions. I'd like nothing more than to pull an upset. :)

Boca's first NTT win under Coach Stormfury!!!!!!!!

:D

While we lead the whole game and by as many as 7, it was a nail biter as the guys had to hold on for dear life down the stretch. 79-77 was the final and Adam Varga came up huge with 23 points on 10/11 2/2 and 1/2 shooting. Varga was Boca's leading scorer and the games 3rd leading scorer.

Next up a real tough test in Oakland 19-0, the Bracket's #1 seed. Any advice you guys have for lineup changes feel free with the suggestions. I'd like nothing more than to pull an upset. :)

I think you have a good chance vs Oakland. They have played a relatively soft schedule (best wins are against PR 30's teams, and I didn't check to see how tested/deserving those teams are). They must have had a pretty good Sr class, bc since then it is Top 50 and Top 100 - which isn't bad, it just doesn't scream juggernaut. Don't out-think yourself on this one, and just play your best lineup. The winner gets the winner of a 12/13 game below them.

Frankfort had a surprisingly easy time with the Columbia chupracabra's, 101-70 (fans were screaming for us to break 100). Rodrigo Lott was POG on 10/13 FG, 6/7 FT, 7 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl, 26 pts. Bernard Tuttle had 19. Charlotte is up next, and they have a 20 ppg C and 16 ppg SF.

DeACCon Invitational time. If you are playing, post your team # and PR's. And cascade reply to this post to keep the participants together. If there is a team you don't want scheduled (conf team), please add that too.

Frankfort #137
Current Power Ranking: 9
Last Yr Power Ranking: 10
2nd Prior Power Rank: 1

Don't schedule Carbondale #139, bc beating his ass just gets old after a while. :cool:

The DeACCon Invitational Tournament

Firestarter and future Deacon coaches,

The DeACCon Invitational is a tournament held during the first three games of the exhibition and regular season (6 total). Mostly Deacon coaches, but some others play too so we add the ACC in the name. ;) We rank the teams by average PR, and make a schedule so that you are playing teams most like yourself. I'll post a schedule and teams request their Exhibition and Regular Season opponents using that schedule. The DeACCon is a good way to see what you got against good competition (most teams are Top 10-50'ish) and boost your SOS. Lineup weaknesses are discovered earlier, and there is more interest in these "rivalry" games on the board.

That said, if you are coaching a 200+ PR team, my advice would wait a season or two to get a couple of your classes in. You've probably inherited a crappy team, and this tournament will tell you what you already know. I would use the Schedule Regular Season Games tool to request games against cpu teams in your teams range and better. Be a Bz/Wellman and schedule Presbyterian (and pray for a win). You'll learn more about your team with these games and your post-season tournament than in the DeACCon or conference schedule at this point.

But if you are a glutton for punishment, you are by all means welcome to join in. bwhahahahhahaha. FRESH MEAT!!

Flagstaff didn't have their best offensive performance of the year but that didn't matter as they may have put together our best defensive performance of the season. The Whippersnappers held the Plainview Crusaders to only 19 first half points and only 4 points in the first 10 minutes. Flagstaff was up 36 with 10 minutes left when coach pilot decided to call the dogs off and rest the starters, allowing the Crusaders to claw back to the final margin. Of course having Plainviews starting SG only play 2 minutes could have played a part in the beat down.

Flagstaff was once again led by the big men as my PF/C and bPF/bC pairing combined for 40 points and 15 rebounds. Going to need that to continue for 5 more games :D

Up next is a second round rematch with Nashville. Flagstaff took the first contest 71-57 but both teams sport new lineups so who knows how this will go down. I'm a little worried about Doyle Curry being his usual superstar self against Chase as it looks as if he is a quality defender. Going to need someone to step up on the offensive end. Should be a good game, hopefully our defense will lead us through. Good luck to Nashville and everyone still in the NTT tourney.

4-seed Akron Rowdies got a 3 from our center with 0:04 left in regulation to tie the game and force overtime. We pulled out the win in the extra period over 13-seed Miami Vice.

Next up is warak. I just looked and I'm 0-3 against him in regular season games. Sweet 16 awaits one of our teams.

Won my second straight 1 point game, this time with a game winning long 2-pointer by Sr stud SF/PF Harvey Evans with 1 second left.

The game was tied 73-73 after Duluth C Peter Murphy hit the first of two FT with 43 seconds left. New Haven worked the clock and missed a short 2-pointer with 7 seconds left (love this sim) but was fouled on the play. New Haven missed the first and made the second to go up 1. I didn't call a TO and let 'em play. Evans inbounded to Fr PG Eric Wright, Wright passed it upcourt to Evans, Evans got free at hit the long 2 to win the game.

Great all-around effort offensively. bPF Xavier Medley lead four players in double figures with 14 points in 15 minutes. He also had 5 rebounds.

We face 17-2 Long Beach on Wednesday. I'm up to #14 PR.

ter New Haven missed the

DeACCon Invitational time. If you are playing, post your team # and PR's. And cascade reply to this post to keep the participants together. If there is a team you don't want scheduled (conf team), please add that too.

Frankfort #137
Current Power Ranking: 9
Last Yr Power Ranking: 10
2nd Prior Power Rank: 1

Don't schedule Carbondale #139, bc beating his ass just gets old after a while. :cool:

Man next season's DeACCon Invitational is going to hurt ... :)
Boca Raton #104
Current Power Ranking: 28
Last Yr Power Ranking: 36
2nd Prior Power Rank: 69

I think you have a good chance vs Oakland. They have played a relatively soft schedule (best wins are against PR 30's teams, and I didn't check to see how tested/deserving those teams are). They must have had a pretty good Sr class, bc since then it is Top 50 and Top 100 - which isn't bad, it just doesn't scream juggernaut. Don't out-think yourself on this one, and just play your best lineup. The winner gets the winner of a 12/13 game below them.

I am curious if I should change defenses as we have played zone all season and Oakland likes to toss the three ball. His starters have shot 212 of his 230 attempted threes hitting 82 for 38% 3p%. As a team, we have only been allowing 24% from beyond the arc this season so their 3 pt shooting is likely to be the determining factor in the game.

Back