• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

:woot:

Party in Rochester tonight! Almost had a perfect recruiting class (for what I was looking for, anyway). Won a 5/5 tie for Royce Whistler, who came in at a +6! Also picked up a couple +2 SF/PF guys (thanks for Lotts, warak). I did miss out on a 1/1 tie for a PG I really could have used this season, but over all, I ended up with a 15/37 class. How is there that big of a split between the two rankings?

Whistler is a player I think I can really build a team around. Maybe not this season, but if I can pull in a decent PG, I should have a crazy good shooting team with a pretty solid interior.

Frankfort lost all its ties, but managed a 33/18 class with netters. The reason I won no ties? First, Naples won BOTH ties for Justin Gomez (4/4) and KC Nelson (6/6). That's a .200 x .142 = .0284, or 2.8% chance of happening. He'll need them bc defending champ Philadelphia signed a 4/1 class. Second, being all nice and buddy buddy with DiV wrecked my karma and Jeffrey Odom signed with Paducah.

The sun won't always shine on you in this game, so the key to success is to be able to tread water well until it does (that's two analogies in a single single sentence, folks).

Frankfort's class of guards is flexible enough to play 1-3 if needed. We added some defense and intelligence - if intelligence really means anything to this game. These guys are still better than the Srs they're replacing.

Len Granville 6'6 +4 - he probably won't play unless there is an injury, but he won't be a liability if/when he does.
Eric Bateman 6'6 +6 - the star of the class who could be my starting PG. He'll be competing with Eveland right away.
James Benson 6'6 +4 - possible bSG. He scrimmaged better than his stats/rating, but we'll see how that translates to college ball. At only +4, he could find his way to NA.

if intelligence really means anything to this game.

I believe I am in the minority on this, but I happen to really like Intelligence on players. I've been kind of tracking my players who increase over time and it appears there may be a correlation on Int with those that improve attribute wise. These guys tend to play a lot better JR and SR seasons as well. My ridiculous class that was tied for #1 in not turning the ball over and top 5 in steals was all intelligence.

Given the choice over pure attributes (Def, Reb, etc) I will always choose that over Int but if 2 guys are identical but 1 has more Int, I lean towards the int guy. I'm also not afraid of int guys off the net as they tend to come on strong later in their careers.

I'm struggling with how to line this team up since the CPU again suggest Hutchings be in at SG.

CPU's Lineup:
PG - Mo Poisson/Joseph Schmidt
SG - Bert Hutchings/Erin Atkins
SF - Leon Cochran/Albert Mask
PF - Michael Gonzalez/Wilbur Cowan (FR)
C - Brice Truong (FR)/Fred Alves (FR)

2 NA Seniors, which I agree with.

Last year's lineup (21-3) had Cochran and Gonzalez splitting time at PF. If I were to try the CPU's lineup I would switch Cocrhan and Gonzalez as Gonzalez has excellent hands and Cochran has played well at PF. I can pretty much do last year's lineup with the FR at Center and they should be an improvement over last year's Centers.

I just may have to try Hutchings/Atkins at SG and do a More/less subbing pattern.

My class ended up 122/88. It's about as good as I could have expected given the situation...

Antonio Brinson will start immediately for me, uncontested at PG. He comes in as a +2 (GFGFF). The next sentence probably says all you need to know about my team right now: He might be my best player.

Kevin Volz will also start immediately for me, but not completely uncontested. He'll probably platoon at PF with JR Shaun Schreier. Volz is 6'9" and is +2/-1 (FGEPF). He looks pretty solid (has an E in INT, too!), though a poor rebounding big man scares me.

The third recruit is Eton Velazquez, who will come off the bench for now. He's smart, and a solid shooter with good hands, so he'll probably make a case for PG/SG after SR JaMarcus Pitre graduates this year. Velazquez comes in as a +2/-2 (GPGPF).

So I went and made a spreadsheet for recruits in conferences 1-17 (gonna work on 18-32 later). I listed every semi-elite prospect, and there are about 20 players I really like. My question: How do I get a feel for which players I'll actually have a chance with? If I give Player X the max 17 points every week, will that give me a pretty good chance on a top player, or are like 5-6 other programs pretty much guaranteed to do the same thing?

My class ended up 122/88. It's about as good as I could have expected given the situation...

Antonio Brinson will start immediately for me, uncontested at PG. He comes in as a +2 (GFGFF). The next sentence probably says all you need to know about my team right now: He might be my best player.

Kevin Volz will also start immediately for me, but not completely uncontested. He'll probably platoon at PF with JR Shaun Schreier. Volz is 6'9" and is +2/-1 (FGEPF). He looks pretty solid (has an E in INT, too!), though a poor rebounding big man scares me.

The third recruit is Eton Velazquez, who will come off the bench for now. He's smart, and a solid shooter with good hands, so he'll probably make a case for PG/SG after SR JaMarcus Pitre graduates this year. Velazquez comes in as a +2/-2 (GPGPF).

So I went and made a spreadsheet for recruits in conferences 1-17 (gonna work on 18-32 later). I listed every semi-elite prospect, and there are about 20 players I really like. My question: How do I get a feel for which players I'll actually have a chance with? If I give Player X the max 17 points every week, will that give me a pretty good chance on a top player, or are like 5-6 other programs pretty much guaranteed to do the same thing?

Real awesome to have you on board! i know its tough going at first, but you get the hang of it after a season or two (I am still learning haha, but I have a better grasp on it.

And I will try to answer your question best I can (more knowledgeable people, interject and fill in my gaps haha)

At first, you probably won't want to go for elite prospects. Try and go for solid players, (+3 or +4) and build your team up like that. Once you start getting more talent on your team, you can then start going for those more elite prospects (+6ish people). In terms of maxing top prospects, depending on what they are projected, you will have anywhere up to a 9 person tie (depending on how good they are, elite big men are maxed by the most people because they are hard to find) In terms of figuring out who you want to max, its kind of a balancing act. You play to get the best players, but you also play to try and get clear leads (no one else maxing) so you want to find players that project well for you, but also have a small chance of being maxed by a lot of people (1/1 or 2/2 maxes are manageable) You can have a leg up based on location (what their preference is and what you are in relation to them) (don't go for a prospect that has a poor local, and they are in or very close to your region)

It is important to build up a net as well. When you first start building the players you want to recruit/watch, wait one week from today, to allow the players to play some high school games and gather stats (the first two weeks of every cycle are combined into one week of point spending) That way you can start to plan who might be good for your team. But you will want to find 3 players that you want to max, that you have a good shot at landing, but are also of need to your team and will benefit you well. And find players that might be under the radar a bit to put in your net, in case a max you are recruiting end up being highly recruited, and you don't feel good about landing them.

I hope this helped some, and again any others feel free to add on or correct what I say, I am sure I messed up there somewhere haha.(sorry for the long response haha)

Early on, you want to avoid players that want a winning program. The gist of how it works is it compares the 3 year RPE of teams to determine who it likes. Ie. If you and I go head to head on a recruit who is E local, E winning, N Impact, then I'm more likely to win the player. It's not impossible for you but it's really hard.

You do have 2 other avenues to look for though. Any recruit within 2 regions (11-15) that wants to stay local gives you a chance to win them based on your region. Likewise, kids in conference 13 with N or P local are likely to leave the area so don't waste points on them.

Potentially your best avenue early is the impact rating. This is a little harder to determine though and is about 1/3 as powerful as the other two ratings with regards to how much it matters. Basically if you have a kid say 6'8 who has E impact. He's going to compare all the teams interested to see who he is competing with and he's more likely to go to the team with the least competition. His comparison is all players +/- 2 inches. So anyone 6'6 to 6'10 in my example.

Like most things in this game, NOTHING is Guaranteed and you could have an E local, E impact guy with zero guys competing and still lose the recruit to someone not local with 10 guys in his height range.

You're likely going to want to max 2 or 3 and use the remainder building your net and you definitely Don't want to spend any points until next week. Recruiting doesn't happen this week, so you will not get more points this Friday.

We shouldn't be competing for many if any recruits given the Impact favors you and Winning favors me, but we might want to coordinate nets so we don't go after the same Local kids.

I'm looking to add the best talent possible this cycle since I believe my starting lineup is set for next season already. I will be losing my starting SF, but I have someone who should be taking that spot so I'll likely be recruiting SF plus another guard or two. I haven't looked at recruits at all yet.

The best piece of advice I can give you is this. Don't over extend yourself during your early seasons. It's easy to get excited about a potential recruit who looks to be +5 or better, but realistically they will have tons of competition and harder for you to obtain. I learned this the hard way. Early on, you're looking for bodies since your starting from scratch. Getting 3 guys is key for the next 2-3 seasons. You may end up with a couple of +2 guys and a +3 or even a +1. Just make sure they have the #s in the right things, Def, Ball Control, Shooting etc. Get guys that help you right away in the starting lineup, then recruit over them next season or add in to fill holes. Rinse and repeat until you get to the point that you're pulling in +4 and +5 guys. It's so easy to get excited about elite players but realistically it takes time to understand the recruiting system, your competition and how likely you are to get them. It's also a very good idea to have 5-6 guys that are clear leads by signing day. You might have a guy 0/0 and still lose them. So it's always a good idea to have a fall back plan.

Hope this helps.

Try Volz at SF. His ratings scream big SF. Also he's +5/-1.

Picked up a disappointing 26/32 +14/-1 class. I've lost 3 straight 1/1 ties for PGs. I did win a 2/2 for Vanmeter. Looks like he's a competent scorer and solid rebounder. I'm curious to see how a GGFGFE player fares at PF.

I picked up two pass first PGs even though I was hoping to avoiding having more. Monroe Brim is FGEFGG and could start at PG. Anthony Swain was on my net and I'm not even sure I had a scholarship on him and I definitely didn't lead for him. I may have put a PP on him to avoid a likely worse walk-on. 6-3 FFEPGG screams career NA unless I can't get a legit PG in this cycle.

My team should still be good but I won't have the same defense I had with C Peter Murphy. I'll still have plenty of size and some scoring off the bench.

Pulled in a great 6/5 class on the heels of my 6/9 class last season. Won a 2/2 tie for Paul Livingstone ans a 1/1 for Gene Macklin. Also picked up Pat Schmitt, a CL.

Macklin is a +7 do it all guard who will start somewhere for 4 seasons. He might be the best perimeter defender in the class and with my team usually getting torched by opposing guards this is my best pickup in a while.

Paul Livingstone is a +5 scoring big who can rebound with the best of them. He should be the perfect replacement for big Albert Stone.

Pat Schmitt is a +4/-1 pg prospect who brings a passer mentality to a team full of shooters. Should be a nice bPG

Agreed. You avoided a 200+ class. Good job.

Consider whether you want to be a large or small (free, default) program. Large costs $5/season and you get an updated recruiting spreadsheet to download, 83 RP's/week, and 20 scholarships. If you are manually making a spreadsheet, I'd consider the time saved on the recruit spreadsheet alone a good value.

You're likely going to want to max 2 or 3 and use the remainder building your net and you definitely Don't want to spend any points until next week. Recruiting doesn't happen this week, so you will not get more points this Friday.

I'll be spending my points after the Wed Oct 26th games. I'll get 5 games to monitor recruits in HS and run scrimmages. One of the common mistakes new coaches make is they spend too early in the season. The RP's are burning a hole in their pocket. Spend your time now deciding on your program size, a recruiting strategy (max 1,or 2,or 3,or 4 and invest rest in your safety net), monitoring HS recruits whose prefs align with your program (low win, high impact), and running HS scrimmages.

If you go Large, use the spreadsheet filter to ID your best targets. Region 11-15 (you are r13 and "local" is -2/+2), Local high, Win low, Impact high.
Region <11, or >15, Win low, Impact high.

The best piece of advice I can give you is this. Don't over extend yourself during your early seasons. It's easy to get excited about a potential recruit who looks to be +5 or better, but realistically they will have tons of competition and harder for you to obtain. I learned this the hard way. Early on, you're looking for bodies since your starting from scratch. Getting 3 guys is key for the next 2-3 seasons. You may end up with a couple of +2 guys and a +3 or even a +1. Just make sure they have the #s in the right things, Def, Ball Control, Shooting etc. Get guys that help you right away in the starting lineup, then recruit over them next season or add in to fill holes. Rinse and repeat until you get to the point that you're pulling in +4 and +5 guys. It's so easy to get excited about elite players but realistically it takes time to understand the recruiting system, your competition and how likely you are to get them. It's also a very good idea to have 5-6 guys that are clear leads by signing day. You might have a guy 0/0 and still lose them. So it's always a good idea to have a fall back plan.

Good advice here. The first thing you want to do is avoid a walk-on. Your team is littered with them already. Don't need more. Build your program gradually. Manage your recruiting portfolio like your investments - with a mix of high risk/high reward when prudent, and low risk/low reward most of the time. Your natural risk aversion is a factor, too.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to ask questions.

Feel free to ask questions.
Thanks for the advice guys. I spent a couple of hours the other day building a spreadsheet, and I ended up getting every prospect in all 32 regions that I'd consider a pretty big get. I finished with 77 names... I computed the +/- as you guys calculate it, and created a formula to factor in positional values. It's not perfect, but I think it's a pretty good barometer of what I want from my prospects.

I have three I definitely think I want to max, though I'm sure the best case scenario on them is that I end up in a tie with someone for them. The plan is to see if I have a shot at a lead with those guys after 4-5 weeks, and if I don't, I'll regroup with some second tier types.

Thanks for the advice guys. I spent a couple of hours the other day building a spreadsheet, and I ended up getting every prospect in all 32 regions that I'd consider a pretty big get. I finished with 77 names... I computed the +/- as you guys calculate it, and created a formula to factor in positional values. It's not perfect, but I think it's a pretty good barometer of what I want from my prospects.

I have three I definitely think I want to max, though I'm sure the best case scenario on them is that I end up in a tie with someone for them. The plan is to see if I have a shot at a lead with those guys after 4-5 weeks, and if I don't, I'll regroup with some second tier types.

Just remember that the scouted attributes of a player aren't ever an exact science. 99.9% of the time EXC scout guys stay how what they are shown. Good scouted usually stay pretty consistent, but be careful with some of the guys that are on the minus side of a rating. Use stats to make your scout rating more consistent. Fair can be a complete crap shot sometimes, most of the time stats will be the best judge of the caliber of a player here. Poor scout guys go up if anything, basically never down. Can be really under the radar recruited studs if you can find them. Think awaken has a great writeup on scouting players somewhere.

If you have some time, go through this entire thread. You'll pick up a lot of wisdom from us experienced coaches. Too much if you're like stormfury. He's taken all our knowledge and started kicking our asses.

I'm getting screwed by timing. Last time I had to select recruits at the start of the semester. Now I'm starting a very busy 2 week stretch. I'll barely be able to look at the spreadsheets and I need more time to work on my system and reintroduce the Top 75 estimates. Hopefully this next class will be deeper and just better than the last class. The whole goal there was to salvage something decent. I did that but I really need another stud, especially at PG.

Pulled in a great 6/5 class on the heels of my 6/9 class last season. Won a 2/2 tie for Paul Livingstone ans a 1/1 for Gene Macklin. Also picked up Pat Schmitt, a CL.

Macklin is a +7 do it all guard who will start somewhere for 4 seasons. He might be the best perimeter defender in the class and with my team usually getting torched by opposing guards this is my best pickup in a while.

Paul Livingstone is a +5 scoring big who can rebound with the best of them. He should be the perfect replacement for big Albert Stone.

Pat Schmitt is a +4/-1 pg prospect who brings a passer mentality to a team full of shooters. Should be a nice bPG

Just got back from the beach and can elaborate a little more on my class. As stated, got a great 6/5 class that really couldn't have gone any better. Here are some more in-depth stuff about the guys.

Macklin is just a stud. Don't think i've ever had a better defender coming in as a freshman. Don't know exactly where I will be playing him yet but he will start at the 1-3. He's one of the more talented incoming freshmen i've ever had at Flagstaff which is certainly saying something. Great to be able to pair an elite guard with Naquin for 3 years. Shooting splits of 47/38/72 show he won't be burning the nets up like an Angelo Pedigo but that he still must be respected on the perimeter. His defense is where he will really shine though. His 2.4/1.3 A/TO ration isn't to shabby either. As mentioned, Macklin is a +7 and a 1/1.

Paul Livingston at 6'10 is a great pickup for Flagstaff and he looks like a more talented version of Albert Stone, albeit a bit shorter. With 25ppg and shooting split of 56/44/70, a 1/1 A/TO and 45 blocks in HS makes him a difference maker down low. Oh and he's averaging 9.3 boards and has a rocket scientist IQ. Yes please. Believe I won a 2/2 for Paul.

The third player of the class is Pat Schmitt. Pat's a +3/-1 but looks like he is a close to good shooter with splits of 48/30/70. What I really like about Pat is that he 2/1 A/TO ratio and looks like he will slide straight into the bPG spot. Have quite a bit of talent on this team, just need to figure it all out, hopefully I can finally make another FF run!

If you have some time, go through this entire thread. You'll pick up a lot of wisdom from us experienced coaches. Too much if you're like stormfury. He's taken all our knowledge and started kicking our asses.

:eek:

If there are any other lurkers interested in joining this game like RedSoxFaithful, this week is a good time as we are only playing exhibition games. There are "how-to's" and screen prints at the beginning of this thread. Ask if anything is unclear.

You, too, could be a quick study like Stormfury.

I am taking a year off guys (not really, just my team will be that bad). Lost every tie, pulled in 3 walkons who are all terrible - I was leading for a guy in my net who would have been a +2 - sadly, that would have been my best player this year. I think I had the worst recruiting class in the league.

Chicago pulled in a 84/185 class.

Zachary Daugherty is+3 and looks as if he could be SF for a while.
Herman Flowers is a +2/-1 that will get some time at the bSG position
Amado Martinez is a +0 and will hopefully stay on the NAS for the next few years.

Back