• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

Weird season so far. I've dominated the mediocre to bad teams and gotten slaughtered by anyone NTT level. Ron Watkins is a pimp, but he's about all I've got. On recruiting, I've got A decent PG clear, otherwise my maxes are a 4/4 and a 3/3 and the tie with Ph.

That was me two seasons ago. Now I'm just getting kinda slaughtered by NTT level teams.

awaken - if Joel Kline is a 4th or 5th option on your board, I'd like to slide into second for a chance at table scraps on signing day. tell me if that's a smart idea or wasted RPE, if you would. thanks

I'm clear and deciding between Joel Klein and another SG. I'll be signing one SG and two PG's, so I'll take either Klein or this other SG. I really prefer Klein for his intelligence, but the other SG, who is as dumb as a rock, has been outplaying him head-to-head in HS scrimmages. I wouldn't invest heavily in Klein yet, but a few points is probably a good hedge bet.

Dearborn - 76
El Paso - 55

we got a nice win over a previously 9-2 El Paso Templars team. Chris Emmons (+3/-1) is really playing well at PG and continues to take away minutes from the 6'7" (+5) SR PG. Emmons got 8/0 ast/to and 4 stls (caused 5 tos) in the victory! solid play all around from the rest of the team: Jimenez 18pts, Shook and Knox (bSG) both got 13pts and Dixon got 11pts.

next up is Bloomington (8-4) followed by Green Bay (8-4)...this will decide the conference championship.

well, i have fucked up recruiting a little bit...unfortunately i miscounted my rpe and had to drop off Amezuca as a result. i didn't really have great preferences for him but another team also dropped him and it would have been a 2/2 for a great PG talent. luckily i have secured a few players 0/0, which makes me feel better and worse at the same time! 4 players 0/0 and i could have kept one of their rpe and spent it on Amezuca...:panda:

I signed up to take over the Flint team. Get ready for lots of newbie questions!

welcome aboard, flint. please tell me you didn't take the "stone vitamins" nickname as there will be no dealing with awaken's ego if you did.:rulz:

Looks like Firestarters

Welcome to the game

I get it...Flint...spark...Firestarter. Others...

61_d_21047_0_Firestarter.jpg

I could go on, but my wife says I'm probably scaring the new coach. If you're still reading this, welcome aboard.

Feel free to ask questions. Since you are taking over a team mid-season, some things like recruiting are pretty much set. Share what the cpu has done so far, and we'll see what can be done. Just focus on learning how to play the game this season, and start next season (early-mid June) fresh.

In choosing Flint, you chose one of the worst teams in the league right now. The bad news is it will take several seasons to good recruiting to make the team respectable. The good news is, all future success of this team is wholly attributed to you. Coaches in Akron and Boca Raton (Milk and Cookies and FreaknDeacon) have recently accomplished similar feats with their teams, so pay special attention to their advice.

New coaches,

Read this wiki on the game: http://simsports.sainio.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page. This is an excellent resource.

Last edited:
Frankfort lost their third game of the year, and second in conference, in losing to Paducah 94-92. The game was not as close as the score suggests - Paducah's lead was often double digits and as much as 20. I had a bad feeling about the matchups in this game. Like Waterloo, they are real good in positions where I don't defend particularly well. My little voice was telling me to change my lineup this game, but I won our first meeting (albeit a close one), and it is hard to change a winning lineup.

Gene Watson and Rodrigo Lott had trouble defending their SF and PF (gave up 25 & 26). I was really hoping for more from Exc defense Watson. I understand Fair defending Lott just has to outscore people (Prosser ball). Got killed on the FT line, where Paducah enjoyed a 32-13 FTA advantage. Bernard Tuttle didn't have a good game tonight.

Conference tourney will be real interesting as I'll probably have to beat both to win it all now.

119-54 win over a #138 Fort Wayne squad who is usually buried in the 200s. I normally don't pay much attention to games against lesser squads, but a 65 point win deserves attention. Harvey Evans had 38 pts in 24 minutes in his 2nd game back at PF. Not sure I've ever had 79 fga before. We hit 49 shots on Slow/Norm. How does that even happen?

Coaches in Akron and Boca Raton (Milk and Cookies and FreaknDeacon) have recently accomplished similar feats with their teams, so pay special attention to their advice.

FYI: FreaknDeacon = Stormfury on this board.

Welcome aboard and we're glad to assist you in the rebuilding effort. With Boca It's taken 5-6 seasons but we're finally hanging with the other Deacon coaches in matches.

In my experience, Guards are easier to recruit than bigs. That coupled with your late entry and you might want to concentrate on 'fishing' for guards to try and salvage this seasons class. Points Don't roll over from season to season so no need saving them.

Like Awaken said, if you post the players the CPU has been maxing we'll give you pointers on which ones to stick to and which ones to drop on. We might even be able to steer you a few net players.

Again, Welcome and Good Luck!

well, Dearborn put our conference championship to fate last night as we lost to Bloomington in overtime 83-75. Paul Gomez for Bloomington is one of the best seniors in the league and torched us for 37, 14 fta! Dixon continues to struggle at the SF position...hell, he was killing at first but now he is shooting like shit! i think this is his 2nd consecutive game of shooting around 33%! that is just not going to cut it buddy!!!

recruiting seems set...it is not going to be a huge class, maybe around # 25-50 unless i get lucky.

Boca's win last night assured us of our 2nd straight Conference 13 regular season title and 3rd in the last 4 seasons. That assures us of our 2nd straight NTT and I'm eager to see how this team does. Our success in the DeACCon challenge has me believing this squad could win a couple of games in the NTT which would be a milestone.

My recruiting class could be solid or unspectacular depending on a couple of key ties.

We'll be signing:
Albert Mask (0/0) 20.8 ppg, 1 stpg - Hopefully a solid SG who can play some defense.

Who we'd like to sign:
Leon Cochran (1/1) 15.8 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 1.2 stpg, 1.4 blk - Cochran would be a great addition fitting in either at SF (moving Hutchings to SG) or at PF. Our chances of landing him are pretty good but might be tighter than you think. His prefs are F+ Local, E- Win, N- Impact. Coming from Region 13 we have a slight advantage on local over region 11's Charlotte. But at 12-1 this season, they might have a slight edge in the winning preference. We had 2 more wins than them last year and identical records the year before, so this season's wins will come into play. Impact might be the deciding factor.

Michael Tellier (4) 6/6 16.1 ppg, 3.8 apg, 1.3 apg, 1.3 topg - Tellier paired with Hutchings and/or Mask might be a downright scary combination. Unfortunately, I don't like my odds in this one. F+ local, G- Win, Fair - Impact. Last time I checked all 7 teams on him were in double digit wins and we're not the most local team, but as Awaken says sometimes you've got to buy a ticket to win big.

The backup plan:
Joseph Schmidt (PG) - 12.6 ppg, 3.7 apg, 1 stpg, 0.9 topg - Scrimmaging against Tellier in 5 matches, Schmidt didn't have a single turnover in 4 games and 2 in an off night and he averaged 10 points, 3 assists.

Harlan Stockman (SF?) - 20.9 ppg, 5.1 rbpg - while he is G scouted, Stockman scares the crap out of me. In all of the scrimmages I've put him into he's just under performed his attributes. He reminds me of my former +5 player Marcus Crandall who never started in 4 seasons because he just didn't match his ratings.

Good luck to everyone as you try and close out your conferences.

A c* in my conference is currently 9-4 at PR 91. Seems rare. He's doing it on the back of freshman Potito Starace, who he stole from me last season.

I see conf 20 has a c* at PR 48

A c* in my conference is currently 9-4 at PR 91. Seems rare. He's doing it on the back of freshman Potito Starace, who he stole from me last season.

I see conf 20 has a c* at PR 48

Hate losing ties to c* teams. Usually it's a stud 6'8 or 6'9 guy perfectly suited for the SF spot and the CPU wastes him away for 4 seasons at C because they don't have any height at all.

Flagstaff 90-77 win over a Santa Fe team that must be hating being in conference 32 about now. He has a solid team and I handed him his only 3 losses before the tourney last season, and look to hand him 3 of 5 losses this season. He'd have a nice program if it weren't for me.

I'll looking at another undefeated regular season but recruiting is mixed.

I've cleared Emmitt Torres, am 1/1 on Montoya, 2/2 on Clausing, and 10/10 on Kelley. Need to break at least 1 tie to have a respectable class. Luckily i'd think i'm the favorite or at least even on both Montoya and Clausing. Montoya would be so MONTE!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm excited about the challenge of turning around the Firestarters and leading them back to respectability. We've averaged 4-5 wins per year for the past 8 seasons, so I can't really make it any worse.

I also appreciate the help. Would you like me to post my recruiting page to give me some advice on? I'm only graduating 3 players, one who doesn't play, and 2 who play 9 and 14 mpg (PF and C).

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm excited about the challenge of turning around the Firestarters and leading them back to respectability. We've averaged 4-5 wins per year for the past 8 seasons, so I can't really make it any worse.

I also appreciate the help. Would you like me to post my recruiting page to give me some advice on? I'm only graduating 3 players, one who doesn't play, and 2 who play 9 and 14 mpg (PF and C).

There is no harm in posting that information to this group. You might not want to when you're fighting for NTT championships but this early in your career you'll want to go for progression over competitive advantage. That and advice and assistance from this group will help you learn the game.

First step is to try and get 3 solid starters (or as many as you can this class) and build on that next season. Once you get a solid starting 5, recruit 3 more players who can either replace your young starters or fill in off the bench. Don't be afraid to over recruit a guy just because you have one playing that position. Some kids can play multiple positions and often their HS position isn't the one that they end up playing in college.

If you want a full review of your team, I'd recommend posting your squad here as well as the recruits whom the CPU has been chasing. Then we can review and provide tips. Of course only put up as much information as you feel comfortable with giving out.

^ Yes, post your recruiting page and you'll get the best advice money can't buy. Seriously, the collection of wisdom on this thread from deacons is top notch.

And fyi, you'll have 3 players in each class. So each year, you'll bring in 3 freshman and graduate 3 seniors no matter what.

We generally share our information with each other except the players than we're recruiting in our net (you'll learn more about what that is). Even if someone posts their whole roster, it probably won't help much. I'm still trying to figure out what my own players' ratings really mean.

Here's the hand I'm dealt:

Pl # Pos Player Ht YR GM MPG PPG RPG APG FGM FGA 3PM 3PA FTM FTA STL TO BLK
12 PG Gerry Place 6-2 Fr 13 27 5.4 2.5 3.1 22 69 8 23 18 26 0.1 2.2 2
5 SG Richard Fox 6-6 Jr 13 28 13.8 3.0 1.7 69 149 15 40 27 36 0.2 0.9 4
9 SF Justin Brand 6-5 So 13 32 19.0 5.4 1.0 93 201 16 41 45 66 0.7 2.2 7
11 PF Keith Mattingly 6-6 Fr 13 31 9.8 7.5 1.8 51 114 0 5 26 35 0.4 1.1 12
10 C Haywood Lewis 6-6 Fr 13 26 6.5 4.8 1.6 31 76 0 4 22 37 0.5 1.2 14
Pl # Pos Player Ht YR GM MPG PPG RPG APG FGM FGA 3PM 3PA FTM FTA STL TO BLK
8 bPG Trevor Vick 6-0 So 13 13 4.9 0.8 1.2 20 46 6 14 18 24 0.2 1.6 0
6 bSG William Lovelady 6-6 Jr 13 12 4.1 1.8 1.1 16 40 4 8 17 22 0.1 0.8 2
7 bSF Lee Turner 5-11 So 13 8 2.5 1.2 0.3 10 24 1 7 11 23 0.0 0.4 2
3 bPF Dennis Becker 6-7 Sr 13 9 2.7 1.1 0.2 15 36 0 5 5 11 0.2 0.7 8