• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

Another noob question, as milk & cookies can tell you, I ask a ton of these - with a team that has 1 excellent shooter, 8 fair shooters and a poor shooter, would it be better to to have an upbeat or a slow down team? Normally, I would think I would want an upbeat team because I am going to have a tougher time scoring in the half court, but I am not sure. I have a shot to outrebound people as I start Excellent rebounders at the 3 & 4 (could start one at center too if I was willing to risk a drop from Fair to Poor shooting on my center). But, having only played a few games, it seemed playing upbeat would get me waxed by the good teams and I would beat bad teams by 15-20, playing slow would lead to close loses to good teams (within 10 points) and close wins over bad teams.

noob question - what do the +/- mean, and how/where are you seeing them?

The +/- is used in recruiting to provide more granular scouting. It is very similar to grading - getting a B+ instead of a B. The Scout itself can use +/- to express the amount of scouting that's been done on a recruit. A recruit's attributes may also have +/- tacked on for additional granularity. Finally, a recruit's Local/Win/Impact Preferences may be expressed with +/- for granularity.

Oddly, the +/- goes away once a recruit is signed. I think the assumption is the coach should "know" his players by then. Others argue that a college coach should have the most info available about his players. It helps to know a player's HS atts that he is bringing to your campus, bc the game makes you feel out your player's abilities.

Another noob question, as milk & cookies can tell you, I ask a ton of these - with a team that has 1 excellent shooter, 8 fair shooters and a poor shooter, would it be better to to have an upbeat or a slow down team? Normally, I would think I would want an upbeat team because I am going to have a tougher time scoring in the half court, but I am not sure. I have a shot to outrebound people as I start Excellent rebounders at the 3 & 4 (could start one at center too if I was willing to risk a drop from Fair to Poor shooting on my center). But, having only played a few games, it seemed playing upbeat would get me waxed by the good teams and I would beat bad teams by 15-20, playing slow would lead to close loses to good teams (within 10 points) and close wins over bad teams.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to take a shot with a bad shooter. If I had the hands to support it, I'd work-work-work for a good shot. Also, if you're not a strong team, you want to limit the number of possessions in a game, not maximize them (as you allude to blowouts).

I've seen championships won with Fast teams. They tend to be athletic first, good shooters, and either hands/rebounds. For hands, if you are going to make fewer passes, make them count. For rebounds, if you are going to take a questionable shot early in the clock, grab the rebound and it becomes a pass. Bigs need to be athletic in particular (to run the length of the court).

The +/- is used in recruiting to provide more granular scouting. It is very similar to grading - getting a B+ instead of a B. The Scout itself can use +/- to express the amount of scouting that's been done on a recruit. A recruit's attributes may also have +/- tacked on for additional granularity. Finally, a recruit's Local/Win/Impact Preferences may be expressed with +/- for granularity.

Oddly, the +/- goes away once a recruit is signed. I think the assumption is the coach should "know" his players by then. Others argue that a college coach should have the most info available about his players. It helps to know a player's HS atts that he is bringing to your campus, bc the game makes you feel out your player's abilities.

I think each player has a true numerical rating, similar to EA Sports games. The Scouted value is plus or minus their true value with the Scout as an indicator. With coaching some players go up enough to cross into the next threshold (i.e. from Good to Exc). There are other hidden attributes as well that would explain why one GGGFFF guy is a stud and another is a dud.

+/- is also used to show the caliber of ther player. When looking at the 6 attributes a player an have (shot, reb, def, hands, etc) we grade anything as a none a -2, a poor a -1, a fair a 0, a good a +1, and an ecxc as a +2. So ifa player is rated as a GGFGEP we call him a +5/-1.

Flagstaff had a good opening night against an ever-improving Boca Raton team. Flagstaff and coach pilotdeac have a different type of team than we had last year, which was post dominated and upperclassmen laden. This season we will be lead by a couple of seniors as great glue guys and then ride the coattails of a sophomore and a freshman as long as they will take us. If tonight is any indication we are in good hands.

Freshman Angelo Pedigo had a great first exhebition opening with 19 points on 7/12 (2/2, 3/4) shooting while big 7'1 sophomore Albert Stone showed why he averaged over 10 ppg as a backup to Doyle Curry last season with a great showing of 26 points/8 boards/2 blocks. While not as good all around as Curry was, he is as good a rebounder as their is in the country, and has more of a go get my points whether the coach wants me to or not. I liken him to Zach Randolph i'd say. Really think i'm going to like the shoot first and often 1/5 pairing of Pedigo and Stone for the season.

The one place I need improvement is out of Claude Snodgrass. If he wasn't a really solid defender i'd say he is the worst +5 i've ever seen. He's a G----G and put up this shooting split last season, 40/14/64. How in the world can a Good shooter and a Good athlete put up those kind of shooting numbers? That's mindblowing and he will either find his way to the bench or be at about a 2/1. Some sophomore's and freshmen will get a shot to replace him, but in the end I think i'll need his defense and ball handling to calm the storms and feed Pedigo and Stone when they get going.

Good game stormfury, hope you learned some things about your guys and if you want me to send some additional scrimmages you way just let me know.

Oh, and in a year where I HAVE to get some bigs I have what looks like several blockbuster candidates early on, some that will be huge ties i'm sure, and some that should be more local due to the local prefs.

Flagstaff had a good opening night against an ever-improving Boca Raton team. Flagstaff and coach pilotdeac have a different type of team than we had last year, which was post dominated and upperclassmen laden. This season we will be lead by a couple of seniors as great glue guys and then ride the coattails of a sophomore and a freshman as long as they will take us. If tonight is any indication we are in good hands.

Freshman Angelo Pedigo had a great first exhebition opening with 19 points on 7/12 (2/2, 3/4) shooting while big 7'1 sophomore Albert Stone showed why he averaged over 10 ppg as a backup to Doyle Curry last season with a great showing of 26 points/8 boards/2 blocks. While not as good all around as Curry was, he is as good a rebounder as their is in the country, and has more of a go get my points whether the coach wants me to or not. I liken him to Zach Randolph i'd say. Really think i'm going to like the shoot first and often 1/5 pairing of Pedigo and Stone for the season.

The one place I need improvement is out of Claude Snodgrass. If he wasn't a really solid defender i'd say he is the worst +5 i've ever seen. He's a G----G and put up this shooting split last season, 40/14/64. How in the world can a Good shooter and a Good athlete put up those kind of shooting numbers? That's mindblowing and he will either find his way to the bench or be at about a 2/1. Some sophomore's and freshmen will get a shot to replace him, but in the end I think i'll need his defense and ball handling to calm the storms and feed Pedigo and Stone when they get going.

Good game stormfury, hope you learned some things about your guys and if you want me to send some additional scrimmages you way just let me know.

Oh, and in a year where I HAVE to get some bigs I have what looks like several blockbuster candidates early on, some that will be huge ties i'm sure, and some that should be more local due to the local prefs.

Similar bad news story - One of my freshmen Merton Jackson (G----G, +5) has gone 5/35 (14%) in 6 games of action so far this season. His other stats don't make up for the putrid offense either. I really don't want to have to sit a +5 freshman for 4 years.

I'm a bitter, bitter coach at the moment

Last edited:

A bit of humility was certainly learned, thanks for the beat down. :) Seriously, your match plus several scrimmages have revealed quite a bit about my team and I don't think the CPU lineup, which I tested in our match, is the optimal lineup. Hutchings needs to move back to Small Forward and both Holden and Mask are capable at SG. Cochran appears to be the best PF we've had during my tenure as well. So I think we'll be a little more competitive moving forward.

Now if only I can land a star quality C this cycle...

Feel free to send any scrimmages you'd like and I'll try what I think is my optimal lineup against you.

Storm

Similar bad news story - One of my freshmen Merton Jackson (G----G, +5) has gone 5/35 (14%) in 6 games of action so far this season. His other stats don't make up for the putrid offense either. I really don't want to have to sit a +5 freshman for 4 years.

I'm a bitter, bitter coach at the moment

Shades of Monroe Crandall (+6)!

As a starter he would have lines such as: 3/11 FG and 0/5 3PT, 3/14 FG and 0/5 3PT but as a backup he would have lines like 4/6 FG or 5/10 FG.

While he didn't get as many shots, his averages were a LOT higher as a backup than it was at a starter in the same positions.

There must be some hidden attribute regarding starting vs reserve, because he was the text book example of it.

Shades of Monroe Crandall (+6)!

As a starter he would have lines such as: 3/11 FG and 0/5 3PT, 3/14 FG and 0/5 3PT but as a backup he would have lines like 4/6 FG or 5/10 FG.

While he didn't get as many shots, his averages were a LOT higher as a backup than it was at a starter in the same positions.

There must be some hidden attribute regarding starting vs reserve, because he was the text book example of it.

Yea I believe that warak, Ph, and awaken have decided that just as teams play better with certain linueps, that players have an optimal position that they thrive at, and sometimes it's not where we as coaches would like it. As in real life, some players can't handle starting, so they are best served coming off the bench as the 6th or 7th man.

A bit of humility was certainly learned, thanks for the beat down. :) Seriously, your match plus several scrimmages have revealed quite a bit about my team and I don't think the CPU lineup, which I tested in our match, is the optimal lineup. Hutchings needs to move back to Small Forward and both Holden and Mask are capable at SG. Cochran appears to be the best PF we've had during my tenure as well. So I think we'll be a little more competitive moving forward.

Now if only I can land a star quality C this cycle...

Feel free to send any scrimmages you'd like and I'll try what I think is my optimal lineup against you.

Storm

Good deal, i'll send a few over tonight or tomorrow am. It should be a good tryout for your SG's going against Hamilton, as he is a Senior with Exc defense and Ath. Don't know if i'm going to be able to defend the 2G spot any better than that. I've also got a guy that is Exc Def and Ath that i'm going to try at SF so I will probably try him out in the scrimmage I send to you.

Good deal, i'll send a few over tonight or tomorrow am. It should be a good tryout for your SG's going against Hamilton, as he is a Senior with Exc defense and Ath. Don't know if i'm going to be able to defend the 2G spot any better than that. I've also got a guy that is Exc Def and Ath that i'm going to try at SF so I will probably try him out in the scrimmage I send to you.

Hopefully Hutchings can teach him a lesson! :)

Chauncey Black

Bring on the regret! :)

In his first outing,

Chauncey Black 11/19 2/3 for 26 pts 2 assists 1 steal 1 turnover.

We'll see how does against stiffer competition but so far his debut was far better than his HS numbers.

I'm working on upgrading to a large program. I bought credits today and requested the upgrade. Do you think it'll take effect by Friday?

I'm working on upgrading to a large program. I bought credits today and requested the upgrade. Do you think it'll take effect by Friday?

Yes, if you request the upgrade now, I think both transactions will process on Wednesday.

High School Scrimmages

Part of recruiting is running HS Scrimmages. You may notice a recruit is doing well in his HS games, but you are not sure of his level of competition. It's easy for a 6'11 true center to bust up some 6'3 out of position schmuck. You want to see how he runs against another legit center, right?

This is how you do it:
1. Login the simsports; Recruiting, HS Scrimmage
2. By default, C1 players are in there. You probably don't want them. Click Remove to remove them one by one.
3. Log out. This is where the game is glitchy and tempermental. It will only let you add 19 players if you don't log out after removing players.
4. Login again, navigate to HS Scrimmage.
5. Use links "Click here for all RECRUITS" to view all players, conf by conf; or if you have already put players on your Top 35 (merely Flagging them will do so), you can use "Click here for your Top 35 Recruits" link to expedite your access to players. Use "Add" to add them to your scrimmage. Fill all 20 open positions. Label your scrimmage, and check the payment box (no longer a charge). Then bottom-most button.
6. You have no control over sub patterns, shot selection, pace. They run 5/5 Norm/Norm. Games play on MWF with college games.
7. Use link to view boxscores. You do not have access to PbP.

This is really pretty intuitive, except for #3.

There is a lot info to glean from scrimmages, and I don't think I get everything available to me. I am sure someone like Ph who has an extensive stats background gets much more than I do.

Here's an example of something to look for: the shooting attribute is a product of FG, FT, and 3PT shooting. I think most coaches here have stumbled upon bad FG% shooting, "Good" shooters. Very frustrating. So a scrimmage is a good way to see how well a recruit shoots FG/FT/3PT.

Sometimes recruits will have great HS stats bc they take all the shots (best, or only, shooter on their HS team). His 20ppg average is less impressive when you see he shoots only 42%. Scrimmages can reveal those players.

Any other coaches care to share what they look for in scrimmages?

Shooting is the most important thing from scrimmages. Position is the other. Scrimmages let you try players at different positions against elite competition. This is huge for big tweeners.

Threw two more open scrimmages out their as well as two scrimmages to you stromfury, see how your other lineups do.

Ugh. Gut Wrentching and hearbreaking 1 pt loss against Warak tonight. The Storm shot a horrific 2 for 10 from 3 which was pretty much the difference in the game as Dearborn shot 5 for 14. :)

Gonzo at the point led all scorers with 19 and freshman PF Cochran continues to impress with 16 points, 5 boards, 1 block and 3 steals. Milt Goodwin in his first official start at C had 9 pts and 12 boards.

This same lineup faired much better against Flagstaff as well in 2 scrimmages losing by 3 and winning by 4. I think the key is toning down 3 pts shooting for these guys.

We are shockingly bad and there's not much I can do about it. I don't have single player above a +3. We can't shoot or defend, although we're ok at rebounding. That's good given how many shots we'll miss.

Back