• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

I am. I’ve had an extremely good run in recruiting culminating in a 1/1 class last season after my elite 8 run. Been a bit of a mess this season but I’m still enjoying the game. The more active league has been a lot of fun for me

I'm still keeping my team warm while waiting for improvements by kmoney. I'm a free small program instead of an upgraded Large, and primarily recruiting locally. Just trying to avoid getting classes rated 200+ and then have a bunch of improvements renew my interest in the game. Two whole seasons of my team under-performing my recruiting by 100 points kind of killed my interest. kmoney is working on tightening the relationship between coaching and results, which would include tamping down the randomness of the game, too.

The test league is empty enough to not have to devote too much time to recruiting to get a good class. I have a top 20 team there.

Congrats to tau. He was #2 ranked last year and brought in a 1/1 class, so he'll be making deep, serious runs in the NTT for a while. Good luck.

Are improvements definitely coming?

Stamina was added to the test league, but not promoted to real leagues yet. There is much discussion and a million different opinions on how to tweak it from its current form.

here a guy is trying to give his team away, and discussion turns to how player and team performance seem disconnected, and coaching instructions don't make any noticeable/expected changes to gameplay. kmoney said in Dec that he would get on this
http://forum.drivethelane.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1474

As always, changes are slow in this game.

I'm still plugging away. I've only ever been a small program, so it doesn't cost me anything.

My freshman point guard had 21 assists and 1 TO yesterday. I lost.

My test league team in Spokane just won its second NTT. Graduated a 2/2 class and brought in a 2/1 class. Got my second and third +10 recruits back-to-back in last two seasons. I have a +10 PG and C. So I have that going for me, and total enlightenment when I die, which is nice....

San Antonio is also plugging away. we have been dreadful in winning maxes, so i have employed a 5 max system (17,17,17,16,16) to try to offset my misfortune and only stay on 3. it worked out well last season as we got the 6/3 class...but don't let that fool you as we again lost all ties. we ended up with:

Peter Young - CL max - +6
Ivan Schroeder - CL Net Lead - +5/-2(int)
Arthur Tryon - Net @ 28 - +3/-1 - i had this guy at 28 and i guess the other team had a better pick

Young and Schroeder will start all 4 seasons. heck, Young is one of the better players i have gotten, at 6'8 g,e,g,g,f,g, since the game restarted.

This season i went with 5 again...

Griffen Egbert (44)
Charles Rodriquez (NL now)
Ethan Moran (NL)
Damani McLellan (38) - dropped
Joshua Gillis (17) - dropped

13 guys NL out of original net. also just hit up an additional 13 guys not on the top 75.

net work is thin, but i have not been fruitful out of the net so far. Most guys i bump have been maxed.

Slowly buy surely we are improving:

Program History
All Time 128 - 69 (0.650)
All Time Wins / PR #35 / #23
Last Year 17 - 7, #30
Last 5 Years 81 - 39, #32
Conf Reg / Tourney 2 / 2
NTTs / FFs / Titles 5 / 0 / 0

Recent History
Sn 8 17 - 7, #30 NTT, #34
Sn 7 19 - 5, #17 NTT, #34
Sn 6 16 - 8, #60 NTT, #62
Sn 5 15 - 9, #43 NTT, #12
Sn 4 14 - 10, #85 RTT, #2

Durham is learning to recruit as a small program. Currently using the max 3, drop 1 method, and using schollies to make my net. I screen scrape my local region (9-12) and then maybe 1-2 others. This is really more work than paying the $5 for the spreadsheet, but I'm being a little stubborn about paying for a game at the moment. I may relent.

For Durham,

Jared Hayes (31)
Carl Campbell (56)
Payton Allen (14) dropped

We'll see how the net goes.

awaken, i did that for one season and i agree that it seemed like more work then it was worth.

warak, looks like you are chugging right along this season, undefeated and #2 PR, keep it up. Seems like I missed you and awaken's recruiting post earlier in this cycle seems like you and I have some crossover for the first time in L31. Flagstaff is up shits creek in recruiting this season so was wondering what you may be doing on a few net options.

Are you planning to pursue Thomas Brunson or Calvin Powers? Just trying to figure out what options I may actually have this cycle. We could be heading for a 200+ class easy this time....

I can’t seem to land a C, so Powers is one of the guys I will pursue. I have one CL, two 3/3 and no leads. Recruiting is always so tough in this league.

10-4, that’s helps. Ill be staying off Powers, probably will be on Brunson. Not trying to influence you, just throwing it out there.

10-4, that’s helps. Ill be staying off Powers, probably will be on Brunson. Not trying to influence you, just throwing it out there.

he is yours. although i need to get some sort of backup PG for next season, i have to devote my RPE to big men until something shakes out.

Jared Hayes 4/4
Carl Campbell 1/1
Dalton Lewis 1/2

Net is scary. No CL's. Behind -6 on one netter, and -7 and -11 on others. I'll be taking on walk-ons...and walk-on avoidance is why I'm still recruiting in the first place. Good job, awaken! :wtftard:

Maxed or a lot of points and unranked, for those like me who are expanding their net this week

Name Ht Conf Top
Anthony Beining 6/6 10 66
Joseph Piper 6/7 10 66
Spencer Brown 6/8 9 66
Joseph Miller 6/1 10 66
Tyree Powell 6/8 18 66
Alejandro Harvey 6/4 19 66
Jeffrey Brown 6/4 23 66
Isaiah Solow 6/6 10 53
Dalton Minge 6/8 11 37
Jordan Collins 6/9 12 36
Dalton Lewis 6/3 22 31
Martin Rutherford 6/7 23 25
Cole Lofton 6/8 9 20

Durham is learning to recruit as a small program. Currently using the max 3, drop 1 method, and using schollies to make my net. I screen scrape my local region (9-12) and then maybe 1-2 others. This is really more work than paying the $5 for the spreadsheet, but I'm being a little stubborn about paying for a game at the moment. I may relent.

For Durham,

Jared Hayes (31)
Carl Campbell (56)
Payton Allen (14) dropped

We'll see how the net goes.

Today, Warak and I spent $5 to try out Hoops Dynasty, which on the surface looks to have way more stuff than DTL including scouting, actual player training, 3 divisions (D1-3) and a host of options for depth chart and player playing time. The only negative I've seen so far is 1) you have to pay to try it and 2) it has seasonal fees (no free option). If it's good though, I don't mind paying. The 10 season pass would end up being a couple dollars more than what I was paying DTL per season but with a much better GUI.

Since the league just cycled, I won't be able to report on the game engine for a few days, maybe sometime next week.

If anyone is interested in checking out the game, here is an old blog that has some videos. He's not the best speaker but he does have a wealth of information and you can get a good sense of the game through it.
http://hdcareer.blogspot.com

If anyone is interested in trying it out with Warak and I in Crum league, I think Signups end Tomorrow at 4 PM EST
http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/signup/JobSelection.aspx?wid=7&cid=145

Let me know if folks have interest and i'll be glad to update here as we see more. I've not bothered logging into DTL in some time.

Update: also forgot to mention (maybe a negative) you have to start your career in D3.

Last edited:
Update based on past two days,

With Hoops Dynasty, you have scouting and recruiting. Recruiting won't be possible till later in the season but you get scouting $ based on a set value (i think for all, maybe based on conf prestige) plus additional for each scholarship you have available next season. Recruiting Points is similar.

As you scout each level, you learn more about the players abilities and their wants. Some want to sign early (1st recruiting period), some late. Some want close to home, some want to go to a rebuild, some want a long term coach. Tons of options here.

There are 4 levels of scouting a player and each time you perform an activity, you increase that level. Ie. I might use a service to scout NC, then I might have my assistant scout those players as well, then I may invite some to a camp. Each activity costs $ coming out of your scouting budget.

As you can imagine, for smaller schools close to home is easier and recommended because $ goes fast.

As to games, you get 2 exhibition games, 10 OOC and then 16 conference games for a 28 game season. DeACCon would be a lot more fun with us actually being able to play everyone! :) Scheduling is a lot easier too, though for OOC you are restricted to your division.

Games are simmed behind the scenes with two options to review. Box score and Play by play. Exactly like DTL.

Seasons are about 1.5 months long, with there being a couple of windows where you can join a league. We joined a league with 1 game per day, but they have an option for 2 per day as well, I assume that one would be 1 month long seasons.

Hit me up with any specific questions if you have any. So far, for me this is what DTL should have been. Just wish folks could try it for free, even if only for a half season or limited capabilities.

I like the game so far, there is a lot to learn.

worth a look.

Season 9 ended, and signing/roll-over is today. Durham finished 16-8, #76.

Recruiting
Carl Campbell 1/1
Dalton Lewis 1/1
Cole Lofton CL
David Action 2/2 -6 from leader
Martin Rutherford 2/3 -7 from leader

Graduating 95/139 class, but probably won't replace them. My NA's are pretty dreadful; so I need my CL, win a 1/1, and then get help on one of the guys I trail on, or a playable walk-on. Yeah, not likely.

Recruiting starts Sunday in Hoops Dynasty, so we'll give you guys details on that once it happens. It's a little odd having designated periods for stuff like this given, recruiting in DTL is a constant thing. In one sense it's nice though because during the season, you simply concentrate on game planning and results.

More to come!

Back