• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

warak

Reaction score
i know some of us have moved over to this board, so let's get this started over here!!!

Coleman 2/2
Amezuca 3/3
Tabb 8/8

i have a few options in the net but i haven't decided what i am going to do yet, which includes staying on all 3 above).

net (main players)
Pickett 0/1
Clanton 1/3

Hey gang, I've finally been invited over here!

Boca's recruiting is looking decent. I hope to have 3 solid leads after Friday's points go through.

Leon Cochran 1/1
Albert Mask 0/1
Harlan Stockman 0/2
Michael Tellier (4) 6/6
Scott Napier 1/9
Joseph Schmidt 1/5

The rest of my net was decimated and I'm not convinced that I'll stick on Tellier due to the 6/6.

Boca had a big win tonight against Asheville. The Storm out rebounded the Tigers 42 to 15.

Morgan Busch stepped in at PF with 12 pts, 7 boards. Bert Hutchings was the star of the game with 19 pts, 10 boards. The win moved Boca into PR #46 at an 9-2 record.

Milt Goodwin improved from 3 Stamina to 7, but we've been hit unusually hard with stamina issues this season as 3 other players are sitting at 9 stamina after the game. Odd since 2 of them are Holden (JR) and Varga (SR) who have seen significant minutes during their careers and are playing on Normal playing time.

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this thread over here - I had been meaning to. I wanted to start by explaining the game to any lurkers and giving a step-by-step tutorial on starting to play. I'll not put it off any longer. I strongly encourage other coaches to chime in, and fill in any gaps I may leave in explaining the game.

Introduction

Lurkers,

We play a virtual basketball game, similar to hattrick, at this site:

http://drivethelane.com/bask/

You can read about the game using the Instructions and FAQ links here

2ed79rr.jpg

For those that play EA Sports games, this is like playing/recruiting in dynasty mode. Instead of playing against a universe of cpu coaches in EA, you compete against human coaches here (there are cpu coaches, too).

One thing you need to know about this game - it is old. There's no lying or trying to pretend it's not. It was developed around 2000, and has had a few updates since then but none recently. So why play here when there are other, newer sites? The game engine here is particularly good. It was written by a statistician, not a programmer, so it is more complex and realistic.

One way the game shows its age is that it is transactional and not real time. Everything you do here is submitted as a transaction that will be processed on the next MWF.

Signing Up

OK, you've read the Introduction, FAQ, and got some questions answered on this thread by current coaches. You decide to give it a try. Why not, it's free.

Use the Sign Up link (which is pretty self explanatory) to get a userid and password. As mentioned earlier, this is a transaction, and it will be processed on the next MWF ~7:30pm. You decide to call yourself bballdeac, and your password is emailed to you.

Next, use the Request Team link to get a team. The coaches on this thread play in League 7, and I'll show you how to request a team in our league. Browse Leagues link, League 007, Standings, then check the conferences. Computer coaches are named c*<number>, and you'll be taking over a computer coached team. DeacInVermont and I are in Conference 18, and I'll let the other coaches advertise their conference.

Let's say you want the Flint team in League 7 (happens to be in Conf 18). Use the Request Team link, and fill out the form like so:

zx3dzd.jpg

DO NOT put a city in your team name. There are two explicit warnings about doing this on the page, yet folks do it any way. Remember this is a transaction, and it will be processed on the next MWF evening. Ugh. I know.

But when it processes, the Flint Stone Vitamins will be coached by bballdeac, and everyone will think you are so clever. Other punny names used in the past are Twin Falls Hurts Twice, Helena Bonham Carters... what are some others, fellow Deac coaches? Most of us incorporate "Deacs" in our name somehow. I coach the Frankfort Deacon Blues.

Nice. And now there's no reason for me to post on DS.

Last 10 Posts

Took an L to ntn's Chicago squad. I got raped. Lost 56-66. They shot 21-44. I shot 23-62. Either I didn't realize my surprising strong bPF (8.3 ppg in 15 mpg) was injured or he busted up his knee in warmups. He's down to a 6. No big deal since this my last game against a Top 100 team, but I will have to move Harvey Evans to PF and move Adam Cox (11.0 ppg in 18 mpg at bSG) back into the starting lineup at SG or SF.

I'm having a tough time getting over the hump back to being a Top 20 team. My recent teams are dominating teams outside the Top 50 and continue to struggle against the best teams. Unlike my last two teams, I'm getting very good scoring off the bench.

Logging In and Navigation

OK, so you have been assigned a team and you log in for the first time...not much changes. The lower pane is now populated, and looks like this

jr4h7t.jpg

If you click on your user name, you go to what I call the coaching page which looks like this:

wiwveo.jpg

scroll down to see your team, their attributes, and how you'll set them up for the next game....

nd6dxc.jpg

From the lower pane, if you click on your team name, you'll get your team stats page:

34i4yfa.jpg

These are your two main pages, and I think the rest of the navigation is more or less self-explanatory. Feel free to ask questions, the coaches here are glad to help you out. This game is not as intuitive as it could be, and we've all "been there" re this learning curve.

It's getting late. I'll let someone else take Recruiting, Coaching, and some other subjects.

By the way, for those of you considering the game, awaken's lineup is sick. Coach awaKen is a legend in this game. How many titles have you won so far?

By the way, for those of you considering the game, awaken's lineup is sick. Coach awaKen is a legend in this game. How many titles have you won so far?

Four titles, and two losses in the championship game. :plos: Lots of Deacon coaches have won championships: warak was the first among us in season 47. deac529 won in Phoenix. Ph has been in the championship game twice, and deac529 once before his title.

Four titles, and two losses in the championship game. :plos: Lots of Deacon coaches have won championships: warak was the first among us in season 47. deac529 won in Phoenix. Ph has been in the championship game twice, and deac529 once before his title.

Thanks for showing me your lineup finally awakenk now I might actually beat you when it matters :thumbsup: as PH said awaken is a fantastic coach and anyone who learns from him will be ahead of the game. Just hope I can actually pull my first final this season since Wilcox and Co are gone.

Go CURRRY!!!

Oh and PS, I'm bringing in my first "HS All-American" in league 15 this season in my first full recruiting season. If I win a 1/1 tie i'll have a top 40 class of guards and if I win a 1/1 tie and a 6/6 tie i'd be hard pressed to not be in the top ten class range. Not to shabby.....

Oh and PS, I'm bringing in my first "HS All-American" in league 15 this season in my first full recruiting season. If I win a 1/1 tie i'll have a top 40 class of guards and if I win a 1/1 tie and a 6/6 tie i'd be hard pressed to not be in the top ten class range. Not to shabby.....

Glad someone is doing well, my recruiting in 15 is dreadful. It's a lot harder to avoid ties.

great stuff awaken! freaking Tuttle...:tear:

Dearborn got a nice 73-46 win over the Jefferson City Huskies last night. it looks like Emmons is going to be able to hold the PG position after all, to my surprise. he has been a very nice surprise as he is now 6.1/0.6 ast/to and 1.1 spg!

my defense is not where i would like it to be but it is a growing team as we have no SRs in the starting lineup, my SR top 20 class is and has been a huge bust!

recruiting is, well, frustrating but we should get 3.

Glad someone is doing well, my recruiting in 15 is dreadful. It's a lot harder to avoid ties.

Yea the guy i have a clear lead on now was a guy in my net I got lucky on. I tried to go "safe" with my first class and still ended up with a 1/1, a 7/7, and 6/6. Yikes. Lucky for me the good kid in my net was only at like 32 RP with a computer leading and the only other person close to me was that crazy douchebag of a coach at Detroit and his prefs didn't match nearly as well as mine so I talked him into not maxing him the rest of the way. My team in league 15 is decent right now but my conference is pretty tough, got like 5 teams that started out better than 8-4 while I played a crazy tough schedule. Need some talent and i'll be good to go....

My league 7 team is so different than my last few teams. I have said screw the offense that i've had the last few years and am just praying my defense and Doyle Curry can do something special. I just won a game 73-33 and my last two opponents (while not impressive at all) have scored a combined 74 points. My defense right now is out of this world while my offense is kinda mehhh. My SG Claude Snodgrass is about the worst scorer i've ever seen for a kid that is G______G. He has tons of clunker games but seems to play awesome defense and score in big situations. Really weird for me to not have a SG putting up 20 ppg. My big guy rotation is killing it right now, if I can some how win the 50/50 tie I have on Montoya i'll be set for another 4 seasons with a truly dominant big.

Last edited:
Good luck tonight guys. Hopefully we'll all have at least 3 clear leads by end of the day.

awaken - I'm planning to max Merton Jackson to the end. My recruiting board is pretty disastrous, and he's one of my best shots...even though that means potentially going toe-to-toe with two perennial top 10 teams for an E- win kid.

ETA - this is kytihu, the coach of Akron Rowdies

Last edited:
Boca got it's 10th win of the season tonight. Norris lead the way with 25 pts 11 boards and Hutchings added 21 pts, 5 boards as the Storm outlasted the Purple Piglets 91-75.

Good news on the recruiting front as I pulled away on a few:

Albert Mask 0/0
Joseph Schmidt 0/0
Scott Napier 0/1
Harlan Stockman 0/1
Leon Cochran 1/1
Michael Tellier (4) 6/6

I was at 0/0 last week for Cal Nevitt but I pulled away this week. Good looking player off my net. 6-6 Good Scout PG ggGF_F with a nice 16.6 pts, 2.8 ast, 1.9 stl with only 1 to a game. I think he'll end up GGEFFF and should make a nice bPG or maybe a starter.

I'm 2/2 or less for 3 maxes including a straight up tie with Vermont for Valverde. He's Good- Local in my area so I like my chances. I'm also 2/2 for a net.

I've got 3 0/0 nets waiting for an offer. I kind of want to keep maxing 6-10 Poor Scout gFpE_F C Corley Williams although I'm 4 back. I barely have enough points to max 5 throughout. So it's either max him or spread through my 0/0 players.

Weird season so far. I've dominated the mediocre to bad teams and gotten slaughtered by anyone NTT level. Ron Watkins is a pimp, but he's about all I've got. On recruiting, I've got A decent PG clear, otherwise my maxes are a 4/4 and a 3/3 and the tie with Ph.

awaken - I'm planning to max Merton Jackson to the end. My recruiting board is pretty disastrous, and he's one of my best shots...even though that means potentially going toe-to-toe with two perennial top 10 teams for an E- win kid.

ETA - this is kytihu, the coach of Akron Rowdies

Milk, no worries. I have no plans to pursue him. Good luck with him.

awaken - if Joel Kline is a 4th or 5th option on your board, I'd like to slide into second for a chance at table scraps on signing day. tell me if that's a smart idea or wasted RPE, if you would. thanks

Back