• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Three Days in New Orleans

Any updates on the recommendations? Been several times, but staying near the Convention Center for the first time. Probably going to one of the Cochons.

Probably in my previous rec, but I’m too lazy to check.

Johnny Sanchez for great Mexican food by Aaron Sanchez.
Root for creative food and charcuterie.
Cochon and Cochon Butcher for pig related things / sandwiches (I see it on your list above).

Those are 3 ofmy favorites. There’s a ton of great stuff, just not much I know of near the convention center. Hop an Uber or go for a nice walk.

I can’t recommend Johnny Sanchez enough. Get reservations and order pig ears.

We tried to get a reservation at Cochon but it was booked every night of our 4 night stay. Try and get reservations as early as you can. Cochon butcher (same block) was a great place to get a sandwich for lunch and we walked right in.

Got a reservation for an early lunch tomorrow.

Had a very good meal at GW Fins (seafood specialty). Prices were similar to a Ruth's Chris type place.

only thing with Johnny Sanchez is it's part of the Besh group, which was embroiled in a big sexual harassment situation, causing John Besh to leave.

for Po Boys, can't go wrong with Mahony's, Domilise's, or if you have to stay in the quarter, Johnny's. Get a muffaletta from Central Grocery to take on the plane -- but don't go for the ones they have packed to take home in styrofoam, way too expensive. A regular wrapped in the plastic bag they give you should do just fine.

I was there this past weekend for my wife's family reunion. I would strongly second Domilise's for a local po boy joint - love that place. I would also recommend checking out Katie's on Iberville.

Nice. Thanks.

Just went last week.

Jazz Brunch at Commanders is a must.
Bayona for dinner was aight... there are better places.
We went to this neighborhood joint called La Crepe Nanou. That was the best meal we had. It is sort of near Tipitinas so you can go there after.
Best cocktail was at Tonique. The bartender was a douche but he made a mean drink.

Shaya is the best Middle Eastern food I've ever had

I've been told it's one of the best restaurants anywhere. We tried to book over a month out and were unsuccessful.

only thing with Johnny Sanchez is it's part of the Besh group, which was embroiled in a big sexual harassment situation, causing John Besh to leave.

But the pig ears...

Hey pit homies -- going this weekend for a short trip with the lady. Looking for recs on dinner friday night....ideally something you cant get in Nashville. And then also a rec for a casual lunch and a place to hear live jazz. Great recs in this thread but some way back in 2013. TIA!

Quick lunch on the go cochon butcher. They have a nice restaurant adjacent but you have to book in advance. They sandwiches were awesome.

Kinda expensive, but the Mosquito Supper Club is an interesting spot. They do authentic Cajun food and you eat at communal tables in a house. Not a spot for a romantic dinner, but worth looking into for something off the beaten path: http://www.mosquitosupperclub.com

Also check out Bacchanal: cheese plates, wine, outdoor seating, live music, in a real chill backyard-type setting.

Quick lunch on the go cochon butcher. They have a nice restaurant adjacent but you have to book in advance. They sandwiches were awesome.
This looks perfect for the quick lunch.

Also check out Bacchanal: cheese plates, wine, outdoor seating, live music, in a real chill backyard-type setting.
Definitely going to eat here on Saturday afternoon and chill out. Thanks for the rec!

Spotted Cat is a good jazz spot on Frenchmen, but gets pretty packed. Frenchmen is Bourbon-lite these days.

Copy-and-pasting recs from a friend who steered us pretty well when we went a few months back:

Restaurants:
Shaya - Israeli cuisine, hands down favorite
Parasol and Parkway - both for traditional po'boys
Killer Po'boys - fancy po'boys
Peche - Seafood
Cochon - Meat
Cane and Table - American
Sylvain - beautiful outdoor seating
The Joint - BBQ
Mosquito Supper Club - haven't been but heard great things

Music:
Blue Nile
One Eyed Jacks
Maple Leaf
Vaughns
D.b.a.
Tipitina's

Bars:
R bar - a little dive-y with great jukebox
Cure for cocktails

Spotted Cat is a good jazz spot on Frenchmen, but gets pretty packed. Frenchmen is Bourbon-lite these days.

Copy-and-pasting recs from a friend who steered us pretty well when we went a few months back:

Restaurants:
Shaya - Israeli cuisine, hands down favorite
Parasol and Parkway - both for traditional po'boys
Killer Po'boys - fancy po'boys
Peche - Seafood
Cochon - Meat
Cane and Table - American
Sylvain - beautiful outdoor seating
The Joint - BBQ
Mosquito Supper Club - haven't been but heard great things

Music:
Blue Nile
One Eyed Jacks
Maple Leaf
Vaughns
D.b.a.
Tipitina's

Bars:
R bar - a little dive-y with great jukebox
Cure for cocktails

Juice - You are a legend. Thanks for all the info. Will let you know what we hit up.

Just now feel recovered from an awesome weekend in NOLA. Thanks to all for the recs.

We went to Three Muses as soon as we got in town on Friday and loved the music and food there. Went next door to the Blue Nile, ate an edible sold to me by a delightful gay man in the street, and then watched kermit Ruffin crush it on the trumpet.

Mother's the next day for lunch was freakin badass. Definitely got my fill of the cajun food. Their jambalaya and etouffee was incredible. Did Couchon Butcher the next day for lunch and it was pretty good but nothing to write home about.

Had a massive seafood meal at the Original French market Restaraunt which may have been the highlight of the trip. Had to hit cafe Du Monde was the beignets and coffee on sunday morning. All in all, amazing trip and cant wait to go back.

Back