• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Three Days in New Orleans

Going down for a week at the beginning of August. Staying at La Belle Maison near the FQ. This thread is money.

Going down for a week at the beginning of August. Staying at La Belle Maison near the FQ. This thread is money.

Had an amazing week in NOLA, weather was great contrary to what we were told to expect. Gave quite a few of the recs on here a try.
Peche was probably my favorite meal, I love places with a feel like that. Food was amazing.
We went to Cochon Butcher twice because it was outstanding (hangover food). I'm salivating right now just thinking about Le Pig Mac and their mac and cheese.
SoBou in the W hotel was a great meal as well, that was one of the most gorgeous restaurants I've ever eaten at.
We didn't venture far from the hotel for breakfast because there was a solid place across the street called the Ruby Slipper, we ate there twice and had two amazing meals.
We spent one night at the White Linen Festival and sampled many local places like Bratz Y'all, Boucherie, Seed, and Reconcile. It was old school style where you buy tickets and purchase your booze and food with them. Hell of a block party.
Our one tourist trap was the Jazz Dinner on the Natchez Steamboat. By far my least favorite meal, and the river tour was meh. I could have hopped on the boat and checked it out and hopped off and been happy.
Bourbon wasn't too crowded but not my cup of tea, however the wife is a partier and had me out there to drunkenly end quite a few nights. Pat O's was my favorite on Bourbon.
Frenchman was pretty cool, went to the Blue Nile (my favorite), the Spotted Cat (best music we heard on Frenchmen), the Maison, and 30 degree/-90 degree (best view on Frenchmen).
The one day it rained we got up early and did the Aquarium (it was mediocre) and the National WW2 Museum which was fantastic, the short 4D film by Tom Hanks is a must see.
Went to the Metropolitan (dance club) one night for some dj that my wife wanted to see, again not really my scene but it wasn't bad.
The French Market was okay, it was like Charleston's open air market but with more gift shop garbage and way too many bars.
Spent a fun night with Chris Hannah who runs Arnaud's French 75 Bar. Dude is pretty damn cool (for a State grad) and showed us around to a few of the service industry favorites like Erin Rose. Didn't realize how big of deal he was until I googled him the next day.
Our last night in town we spent the evening at Bacchanal. This was my favorite night of the entire trip. Atmosphere was one of a kind, the cheese and chicken liver mush charcuterie plate killed. We ended up staying for dinner and I had to have a second order of the Bacon wrapped dates. This was the best music we heard the entire trip, husband and wife duo called "the Co and Co Traveling Show.' They played acoustic guitar and bass songs from France, Spain, Brazil, and local songs by NOLA greats. They were so good I grabbed a CD.

All in all one of the best trips and coolest cities I've ever been to. The wife wants to move down there, I don't think my waistline or my liver would do well living there. Thanks for the recs guys.

Go to Brennan's

We once went to Brennan’s to have lunch/brunch. We stayed there way too long leaving about 1AM. As we walked down Bourbon Street, staggered would be more accurate, a guy was screaming, “Anyone got Super Bowl tickets?”

I said, “We do.”

“He said I’ll give $1000 apiece for them.”

I had never said they were for sale only that we had them.

“Wow. A couple friends of ours aren’t going to make it to the game.”

Out of the darkness came another guy, “You and you, you’re under arrest. Give us the tickets.”

They flashed badges, took our tickets and hand-cuffed Greg and I. Moshe started giving them shit. They gave him a ticket for interfering with a police office. Then they put us in the back seat of their police car and told Moshe and Betty where they were taking us.

As we went there one cop said, “Don’t worry. We’ll take your tickets and charge you with scalping. You lose the tickets, but it’s only a $50 fine.”

The other cop said. ”Y’all can pay the fine and be on your way after processing.”

What fucking LIARS these two were. We got to the station, were fingerprinted, had mug shots taken and were taken to jail.

As we were about to be put in the holding cell, we asked the booking guy what our bail was. “You two have $5000 cash bond because you are from out of state.”

I was STUNNED. “The officers told us it would be $50.”

“It would have been for scalping. They charged you with conpiracy to commit scalping. That could mean ANGOLA.”

Holy fucking shit! What the fuck was this. They put us in the holding cell. There was one pay phone in there for all of us. I waited my turn and called my lawyer back in Jersey.

“I’m in jail.”

“Don’t worry. I can get you out in any one of the forty-nine states. Where are you?”

“What do you mean forty-nine states? Was there a tsunami in Hawaii while we were drinking today?”

“Louisiana doesn’t count. They have NAPOLEONIC Law. Where are you?”

“New Orleans.”

“Shit. Try to be safe. I’ll see what I can do.”

That was easy for him to say. He was lying in bed with his BEAUTIFUL wife. Sitting next to me was a guy who shot someone in the head over a $5 drug deal. Sitting next to Greg was a guy who was charged with kidnapping and rape. It wasn’t very difficult not to fall asleep that night in the holding cell.

ANGOLA, we could be sent to the WORST state prison in America for thinking about selling Super Bowl tickets. What kind of place were we in?

Soon we were being taken up to the see the Magistrate. As they strip searched us, the jailer handed the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “You might like Page 3.”

I AMOST SHIT ON THE FLOOR. It was all about us. California couple comes to New Orleans to sell Super Bowl for $1000 on Bourbon Street. We were so fucked. How could this be happening to me? I wanted to kill Greg right that minute.

I was handcuffed to the drug guy in the court. Moshe and Betty were in the gallery. We could see the judge, DA and bailiff all looking at the paper. They were chuckling and pointing at us. That wasn’t a good sign.

All of a sudden a short, light-skinned, BLACK man comes running into the courtroom. He waves at the DA and judge. They smile at him. He walks over to the holding area.

“Who is Sokolove?”

“I am.”

“I’m your lawyer. Do you have $100?”

“Not really. I was in jail all night. My friends over there should.”

“OK, I’ll take care of everything.”

Moshe gave him some money. He went over to talk to the DA and judge. They motioned to the jailer. He unhooked Greg and I and told us we could go.

I was more confused than I had ever been during this entire odyssey as we all left the courtroom. As the door hit my butt I stopped. “First are we OK.”

The lawyer was holding hands with his girlfriend. “EVERYTING is fine.”

“Since we’re in New Orleans, please excuse my French, but I’ve been in jail and handcuffed to a guy who shot someone over a $5 drug deal. Who the hell are you? How the hell did you get here to help us? Not that I’m complaining.”

“My cousin was your lawyer’s roommate in law school. I got a call at 3AM that you might be on your way to ANGOLA. I didn’t think that was a good place for you. So here I am.”

Thank you. What should I call you?”

“Morial.”

“As in Dutch Morial, the mayor?”

“I think I might know him.” He said with a smile.

“How much do we OWE you?”

“How about lunch for my lady and myself?”

“Are you sure?”

Back