• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

True Detective on HBO

i mean she's still pretty young... it's not that unbelievable, just good genetics.

That scene was unbelievable and hasn't gotten enough attention. Cohle insisting that all that matters are the kids and Maggie dropping that bomb on him really fucked him up I think
I read that a bit differently. To me it was Maggie the Ball Buster who just busted Cohle's balls over kids in the face of knowing his girl died a tragic death and that Cohle was upset about it. It's hard to get any more ball busting than that. But....Cohle is all about the kids in that scene from 1995 but later on talks about his kid's death as saving him from the sin of being a father so...something changed.

One line that I still wonder about is when he says he was married and almost married again...to a girl named Laurie I believe...very similar to Dory.

It's starting up but I've got it recording. I don't want to eat my dessert until I am ready. From what I've read about the rest of this season is that from here on out its a mad dash to the end.

so much happened in an hour. i have to stop watching this shit before bed

Bgpt_nECYAAB6xS.jpg

Wo.

I definitely have a feeling that cohle bangs hart's wife

I wanna know how the hell WH found MM in 90 seconds. I realize he said to listen to the police scanners, but the police had only just arrived and Beaumont isn't exactly a small town. How the heck did he even know where to go? Not like he had a GPS in his car.

Questions like this are mind boggling. How can you miss the phone call MM made?

so did they really dump ginger in a ditch? I thought he was still in the truck when they left it

All I want to say is all the stuff about the m-brane theory and time being a flat circle and Carcosa and weird fiction and the Yellow King just totally melts my goddamn mind. Fortunately, I don't feel like I have to understand it all to enjoy the show, but the fact there's potentially something much, much deeper going on is fascinating.

Lots of parallels between this plot/bad guys and this short story series..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_in_Yellow

The first four stories are loosely connected by three main devices:

• A play in book form entitled The King in Yellow - a fictitious play that causes any reader to go mad
  • A mysterious and malevolent supernatural entity known as The King in Yellow - pretty obvious
  • An eerie symbol called The Yellow Sign - the sign is never really described all that well in the books, but the spiral tattoo thing some of the guys have...

also, regarding the sign: "... that anyone who possesses, even by accident, a copy of the sign is susceptible to some form of insidious mind control, or possession, by the King in Yellow or one of his heirs. The stories also suggest that the original creator of the sign was not human and possibly came from a strange alternate dimension that contains an ominous and ancient city known as Carcosa."

Hope you guys didn't miss the closing scene with Cohle standing in the wasted school, looking at the wood "sculpture," with the plainly visible high water mark/ or black/white separation as the camera pans back showing black stars on the broken, dirty window.

All of this just feels too perfect. Two wrecked and flawed "heroes" who happened into the perfect test of of their lives and intellect. It's really pushing me from a "big picture" point of view. It's border-line contrived and being overt about it.

The window shot at the end may have been hinting at a TV screen and the analogy with the circle/sphere. They seem to like artistic shots at the end.

I thought Reggie was supposed to have the spiral tattoo. It wasn't there was it?

The window shot at the end may have been hinting at a TV screen and the analogy with the circle/sphere. They seem to like artistic shots at the end.

I thought Reggie was supposed to have the spiral tattoo. It wasn't there was it?

It was on the back of his shoulder (I'm pretty sure).

The creator Pizzolatto spoke afterwards about how MM asking for beer was important because nothing he said while drinking would be admissible in court.

Lawyers, is this true? What's the specifics here because I feel like if you're drunk and say something in a cop car, as long as you've been read your miranda rights, that can be used against you.

The creator Pizzolatto spoke afterwards about how MM asking for beer was important because nothing he said while drinking would be admissible in court.

Lawyers, is this true? What's the specifics here because I feel like if you're drunk and say something in a cop car, as long as you've been read your miranda rights, that can be used against you.

It probably has something specifically to do with the cops providing it for him.. ie cops can't get their suspects drunk before interviewing them.

I'm not sure how the beer affects the analysis, but I don't think Miranda would be an issue in this scenario.

Back