• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

True Detective on HBO

Anyone else catch the Bach's Golberg Variations playing at the girl's hospital right after Cohle tells Marty "you eat your young?"

Same music Hannibal Lector was listening to in his custom cell in Memphis when he escapes in Silence of the Lambs.

Anyone else catch the Bach's Golberg Variations playing at the girl's hospital right after Cohle tells Marty "you eat your young?"

Same music Hannibal Lector was listening to in his custom cell in Memphis when he escapes in Silence of the Lambs.
Noticed that too. It's eerie music in that setting.

Whatever. It's entertainment. Serial killer dramas aren't supposed to appeal to every demographic. Make me a sandwich, Emily Nussbaum.

At the end of the episode, when Cohle approaches Marty alongside the road, I don't think that is after Marty left his interview with the new detectives and I think it is before 2012. I'm guessing it's like 2008 or whenever Marty retires and starts his "security gig." I think they have been doing their own clandestine investigation which involves Cohle catching Marty up to date on what he has found, Cohle showing Marty the disturbing video he has discovered, the 2 breaking into Tuttle's home(s), and eventually Tuttle's death. My belief that it is not 2012 when they meet on the road is based solely off of a thermal undershirt and a what appears to be a developing mustache versus a fu manchu.

TrueDetective-2-23-14.jpg

680x478

I thought the same thing - looked like Woody had a little more hair.

Most of the secondary characters ring shallow. I think this isn't an oversight, or from an inability to develop characters.

I agree. It seems that this is a show about two people. ALL of the other characters are flat and stock…it serves to increase the focused intensity of Rust and Marty.

Cohle's middle finger to Marty in the major's office didn't really sit well with me. So far, his character seems more aloof and intellectual. Not that he isn't a "guy" in the colloquial sense, just that flipping off his partner didn't seem to fit with his calm, cool persona and quiet way he rhetorically fights his battles. Minor thing but it seems they're really making a point that Cohle's character is starting to change as his obsession grows.

Cohle's middle finger to Marty in the major's office didn't really sit well with me. So far, his character seems more aloof and intellectual. Not that he isn't a "guy" in the colloquial sense, just that flipping off his partner didn't seem to fit with his calm, cool persona and quiet way he rhetorically fights his battles. Minor thing but it seems they're really making a point that Cohle's character is starting to change as his obsession grows.

Definitely an interesting character point. 1995 Cohle to 2012 Cohle is fucking an incredible journey. I think the fact that Marty didn't "back" him didn't sit well with him. Cohle has done a lot to "back" Marty…seemed he wanted the same courtesy extended to him.

I agree. It seems that this is a show about two people. ALL of the other characters are flat and stock…it serves to increase the focused intensity of Rust and Marty.
Exactly. IMO it's one detective with heart and emotion (Hart) and one detective with soul and intellect (Cohle) solving a case and how they handle being detectives. They can develop Jillian Anderson as the "icy female cop" in season 2.

Definitely an interesting character point. 1995 Cohle to 2012 Cohle is fucking an incredible journey. I think the fact that Marty didn't "back" him didn't sit well with him. Cohle has done a lot to "back" Marty…seemed he wanted the same courtesy extended to him.

If not for Cohle, Marty's ass is in prison- at best. Cohle saved Hart only to, a while later, betray him. "Mrs. Sawyer" got it out of him.

My wife was surprisingly mad at mrs. Hart for the fling with rust...she did point out that she backed that ass up because she couldn't bear to look at rust in the face which was interesting. I never got past, " cool, he is doing her from behind!"

Many viewers have noticed and commented on the shallowness of all female characters. The New Yorker agrees: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/television/2014/03/03/140303crte_television_nussbaum

Oh for Chrissakes. The story is told from the POV of two characters, and one of the episodes is even titled "The locked room" in reference to living your life in your own head. Of course there are no full characters outside of the two people telling the story.

If you tell a story that involves the crazy chick you banged at WFU, do you serve up her entire backstory and make her a fully fleshed out character, or do you refer to her as "crazy pussy" and move on?

You finally got to see something from the POV of Marty's wife last night and I would like to point out, in her POV version, Marty is even a bigger lout than he's made out to be in the other episodes, and dumber.

I think the people shilling for "more developed female characters" are really missing the point. The show is not even ostensibly about a murderer. It's about story telling.

I think the people shilling for "more developed female characters" are really missing the point. The show is not even ostensibly about a murderer. It's about story telling.

They utterly remind me of BzzInners.

My wife was surprisingly mad at mrs. Hart for the fling with rust...she did point out that she backed that ass up because she couldn't bear to look at rust in the face which was interesting. I never got past, " cool, he is doing her from behind!"
I couldn't get past how it sorta looked like the original crime scene.

Back