• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

True Detective on HBO

fucking critics coming up with some bullshit that has nothing to do with the gdamn show just to poke holes in it for no reason what a bunch of dickasses

It makes me visibility upset that I have to wait another six days to see the next episode. I am fucking addicted to this show.

Damn you House of Cards for conditioning me to think that I can watch all the episodes.

The misogyny angle is a legit one in a lot of shows/movies written by men, where the female characters are nothing but plot points, something men possess then discard.... But I don't see that here at all. As has been pointed out, all of the characters aside from Marty and Rust are stock, only there to advance the plot/obsession of those two. The two main characters are everything here, and they are written remarkably well. This isn't Girls, we don't need/it isn't the point of the show to give us an inner look at every single characters' emotional state.

Nice observation…"Rust is haunted by women who aren’t there—his ex-wife and his dead daughter—while Marty cannot deal appropriately with the women who are."

I think Marty and Cohle have obviously been working together on the case for a number of years post Cohle's departure from the force. I also think they killed Tuttle once Marty sees that his daughter was one of the victims.

Then why did he pull out a revolver and check the chamber prior to pulling over? Good theory though if true.

Then why did he pull out a revolver and check the chamber prior to pulling over? Good theory though if true.

The theory is that scene isn't happening right after the interviews but rather a few years before that when they hadn't seen each other in a while. Their relationship then gets repaired and they go hunt/kill tuttle and investigate the whole thing

The theory is that scene isn't happening right after the interviews but rather a few years before that when they hadn't seen each other in a while. Their relationship then gets repaired and they go hunt/kill tuttle and investigate the whole thing

Yeah, I saw a picture that showed 1) Cohle wearing different clothes and 2) his moustache is bigger in the interview scene. FWIW. The storage shed scene is likely after the meeting before the interviews, IMO.

ETA: That picture is in this thread.

Many viewers have noticed and commented on the shallowness of all female characters. The New Yorker agrees: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/television/2014/03/03/140303crte_television_nussbaum

skeptical-black-kid_o_468116.jpg

i think the feminist argument rings true. i agree with the grantland guy though that it seems to be the point. no one is really cheering for marty in his escapades. we all understand and empathize with the women in his life. i do think she's just trolling to an extent. it seems to have worked based on some of the reactions here.

in similar news, i watched last night after cooking up some greens with dinner. then i read all the hullabaloo about the role of women in the show and the recaps of the ep right before bed. i somehow managed to link the role of women in this episode (and role of women in the bayou) to how to properly cook greens in my dreams. i think i concocted scenes in the show where greens were prominent. the yellow king has it's talons in me, my friends.

Aaaahh I see..

The preview for Episode 7 is off the chain....

There is no solution. It's all competing illusions and we don't know reality until just a moment before the end. Maybe that's how this will end?

Cohle spent some time in the first few episodes answering the question "why the cross in your apt?" His answer was telling…he wasn't religious, just liked to contemplate the moment in the garden when Jesus decided to sacrifice himself.

I think Cohle sacrifices himself somehow for the "humanity" that so infuriates him...

Back