• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

True Detective on HBO

There was sriracha on the table in the 1995 scene
Was sriracha around then in LA?

I noticed the same thing. I was like "was bahn mi a thing back then" bit then I remembered from watching Treme and Top Chef: New Orleans that there is a large Vietnamese culture in LA and that made it seem more likely.

First half of the episode was disappointing...I generally like the dialogue but there was a little too much philosophical jabbering in this episode. MM is just fucking with WH...mowing his yard...lol. Woody has gone nutso about his mistress. The tension when they put everything together at the end...and the dude with the machete and gas mask...good stuff.

Woody's wife isn't bad looking nekkid either.

I noticed the same thing. I was like "was bahn mi a thing back then" bit then I remembered from watching Treme and Top Chef: New Orleans that there is a large Vietnamese culture in LA and that made it seem more likely.

Hoy Fong Sriracha was most definitely in La. and just about everywhere else by 95.

The ep did have some disjointedness with the lawn mower scene and the issue with the girl's drawing interspliced almost randomly. But then I realized it flows completely into everything Cohle and Marty have been saying in their respective interviews. Boundaries and compartmentalizing etc. Only Cohle seems to be providing the contrast to that- utterly immersed in his work; it is his life- something to do with the insomnia.

I liked the "shock" of what I presume is Ledoux walking with boots, machete, gas mask, and underwear. But then, he is a meth/LSD cook so if Breaking Bad taught us anything, this is normal. Normal in that world, at least. So we have a gunfight coming. What concerns me and is apparently borne out by the fact that "their man" is in jail yet they have another murder fitting the pattern is that Ledoux's profile seems to lack the philosophical insight and grandeur which the killer exhibits with the elaborately staged bodies etc. Dude's a neo-Nazi, ex-con, drug chemist. Doesn't really strike me as the type who would be mixing religious mysticism into ritual killings. Who knows. And thanks NFL- have to wait a goddamned week to see next ep.

In the era of DVRs and On Demand, HBO is being a real dummy about this Super Bowl thing. They don't even sell ads, so it doesn't matter if people watch live.

H

I liked the "shock" of what I presume is Ledoux walking with boots, machete, gas mask, and underwear. But then, he is a meth/LSD cook so if Breaking Bad taught us anything, this is normal. Normal in that world, at least. So we have a gunfight coming. What concerns me and is apparently borne out by the fact that "their man" is in jail yet they have another murder fitting the pattern is that Ledoux's profile seems to lack the philosophical insight and grandeur which the killer exhibits with the elaborately staged bodies etc. Dude's a neo-Nazi, ex-con, drug chemist. Doesn't really strike me as the type who would be mixing religious mysticism into ritual killings. Who knows. And thanks NFL- have to wait a goddamned week to see next ep.

I agree about Ledoux. I think we are going to find out that it was really the governor's nephew and he was trying to "cleanse" all of these prostitutes souls.

I agree about Ledoux. I think we are going to find out that it was really the governor's nephew and he was trying to "cleanse" all of these prostitutes souls.
But who did the recent one? Cohle?

This is probably just stupid but one thing I've wondered about are the names. The two guys are Hart and Cohle...and that's pretty similar to Heart and Soul. Rust's first name is actually "Rustin" so if you replaced Cohle with Soul you'd get "Rustin' Soul" sort of like his character. Marty is all heart and Rust is just a rusting soul.

Uh, the governor's nephew? That was my point. They never got the real killer.
Got it. Thought you meant the guy that they tabbed for it. There's still something odd about that scenario because of the markings. Are you thinking Ledoux did the first one they just ID'd and they assumed he did the one in the field too but really didn't?

Got it. Thought you meant the guy that they tabbed for it. There's still something odd about that scenario because of the markings. Are you thinking Ledoux did the first one they just ID'd and they assumed he did the one in the field too but really didn't?

I am thinking they are going to find that there is one killer based on Cohle's "profiling" of the killer. (i.e. He has done this before, etc.) Maybe we find it was a coincidence that Ledoux was the boyfriend of one victim and cell mates of the ex of another. It is a pretty small community.

They weren't all prostitutes

Wasn't one just a little girl?

Yeah I don't think the governor's nephew committed these crimes directly, but he's definitely got some hand in it.

Actually this was the best quote:

What's it say about life hm? You gotta get together, tell yourself stories that violate every law of the universe, just to get through the goddamn day? Nah. What's that say about your reality Marty?

The exchange at the revival was hilarious. Obviously wasn't intended that way but I chuckled. I keep thinking of the relationships between Law & Order detectives like Briscoe and Logan or Briscoe and Green where underlying differences in backgrounds are always present but not in an obtrusive way. Cohle's character is intentionally anti-social but his redeeming qualities are reliable enough to offset Hart's weaknesses or other strengths. Their dynamic is really becoming compelling to watch.

Actually this was the best quote:

What's it say about life hm? You gotta get together, tell yourself stories that violate every law of the universe, just to get through the goddamn day? Nah. What's that say about your reality Marty?
Yet he has a cross on the wall of his bedroom doesn't he?

Back