• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

True Detective on HBO

DeaconSig

Reaction score

Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson riding around in a car waxing poetic? Strippers in an American flag bathing suit? Take my money, HBO!

i assume it will be good because its hbo and these are two big name actors, but the trailer alone doesn't do much for me

I kept waiting to see Tommy Lee Jones. I wonder how much weed gets smoked on that set. Looks interesting- two detectives in Louisiana track a serial killer over 17 years.

I categorically refuse to watch police/crime/detective/criminal law/serial killer dramas, but I am all in on this one.

Dig the Terrance Malik-ish existential bent.

Wow, that was pretty great.

Matthew McConaughey is the fucking man.

Enjoyed the first episode. I assume the pace will pick up somewhat at some point, but I feel like the stage has been set.

I started it too late in the evening and fell asleep, but I look forward to giving it another watch. I enjoyed what I saw, but am curious how I am supposed to feel about the characters. McConaughey's character is well acted but odd, I don't know if I like him.

Definitely enjoyed it. Especially when I read that Boardwalk will end in 2014. Breaking Bad, Boardwalk; great shows end. Meanwhile, shit like American Idol and Real Housecunts keep rolling on and on and on.

McConaughey's character kind of reminded me of a very dark, disturbed version of Law & Order's Robert Goren (D'Onofrio). Very cerebral, anti-social, critical insight, crime-scene brilliance, tortured. Hart (Harrelson) is the perfect foil; practical, pragmatic, grounded, with his own flaws (the chick with the depositions is definitely his fuckbuddy despite his family-man demeanor).

Paint all that onto the story line and the Southern Gothic background and this looks really great.

Watched it as well and really like this show. Can't wait to see where they go with it.

I read that the show will be done as an anthology in successive seasons. So next season will have (I presume based on the article) different actors with a different plot line but done in a similar style. I would be wary of changing actors if the show is a success in season 1 but it's HBO and they know well what they're doing.

word, just swiped my pops' HBO GO info so i can watch this tonight #winning

I read that the show will be done as an anthology in successive seasons. So next season will have (I presume based on the article) different actors with a different plot line but done in a similar style. I would be wary of changing actors if the show is a success in season 1 but it's HBO and they know well what they're doing.

This is also what I read from the beginning. They will have two detectives that solve a murder in a season, then in the next season they hit reset with different detectives and a different case. They would have to pay Woody and McConaughey a gajillion dollars for them to stay on a series for multiple seasons, so makes sense.

It looks like MM's character is already a suspect in the present day crime. Good stuff.

This is also what I read from the beginning. They will have two detectives that solve a murder in a season, then in the next season they hit reset with different detectives and a different case. They would have to pay Woody and McConaughey a gajillion dollars for them to stay on a series for multiple seasons, so makes sense.

It looks like MM's character is already a suspect in the present day crime. Good stuff.

Good point. It seems McConaughey has been making a new movie every 5 minutes for the last couple of years. And if you think about it, the season is 8 episodes so in all, it equates with just a really long movie. In terms of filming, depending on the edits etc, they could shot the entire season in probably just a little longer than a movie. Plus Harrelson and McConaughey are really good friends off screen so they probably relished the chance for a one hitter (pun intended) together in what portends to be a memorable show.

Back