• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

True Detective on HBO

Don't get the hate. Think it's been a good season, maybe a little slow at times but that's it. Great ending last week. Looking forward to the last two eps and then the countdown to thrones begins.

Thought the ending last week was incredibly predictable.

Thought the ending last week was incredibly predictable.

Once he was going into the mansion it was predictable, but it was still exciting. At least we have some semblance of who the bad guys are now. But there's a lot of story left to be told.

Once he was going into the mansion it was predictable, but it was still exciting. At least we have some semblance of who the bad guys are now. But there's a lot of story left to be told.

So far things have been really predictable. The cinematography is beautiful though oh, the transition between ages and all that. Nice creepy cliffhanger at the end of episode 7. Here's to the finale!

I disagree with some of the takes in this thread. I thought it started strong then sagged and has picked up again the last few.

So do we think this guy kidnapped her for a replacement daughter or what?

So one of the episodes aired during the Super Bowl and the finale airs during the Oscars. Interesting scheduling decisions, HBO.

Yikes, pretty lazy finale. Yeah, let's just sit down with Mr. June and let him fact-dump the whole story to us with some crappy flashback scenes. Talk about anti-climatic.

Thought this had the potential to be better than S1. It was not. Still worlds better than S2, though, excepting the Ray Velcoro coke binge scene which is the best True Detective scene and maybe the best scene ever to appear on the small screen.

That sucked. They were shitty detectives not true detectives. In addition to the lazy confession, thank god for the ghost of purple's wife to tell us about the obvious twist at the end. The closing scene of them talking at the bar took about 7 hours, or so it seemed in real time. And did we ever find out how his wife died?

That sucked. They were shitty detectives not true detectives. In addition to the lazy confession, thank god for the ghost of purple's wife to tell us about the obvious twist at the end. The closing scene of them talking at the bar took about 7 hours, or so it seemed in real time. And did we ever find out how his wife died?

They were good detectives when they focused. Other realities interfered with their lives. Hoyt derailed Purple, and Purple quitting to protect his family derailed everything else.

Purple's wife didn't tell him anything (of course)...his dementia used her as a device to convey the inspiration he got from reading the passage about the boy in her book. His thoughts with her voice in his head. Much better use of her character than the momentum killing marital spat flashbacks.

The show should have ended in the porch; fade into his eye as his dementia sends him back in time to Vietnam, not to a bar conversation with his wife. The jungle was a nice symbol of his broken mind. Also the time jumps are common with dementia...my father had it in his last two years and some days he would get up to "go to work" at a job he retired from 15 years earlier and complain about Ross Perot throwing the election to Clinton (in 2015). He was literally living in another year...it was sad. This show nailed what dementia is like based on my experiences with my grandfather, grandmother and father. Looks like I will have it if I live long enough. Not looking forward to that.

This show was good but not great because editors these days are either weak, hamstrung, or both. At least an hour's worth of material, mostly the extended husband wife conversations, could have been cut. When you give the artist total creative control they spin off into rambling rabbit holes and it kills the buzz. Edit, edit, edit.

I did like the ending. Maybe I'm just tired of the pedo thing in real life media (hey, here's looking at you, Catholicism!) or in drama series. Maybe part of it is I have young daughters and I internalize stuff. But I liked the "happy" ending to this series.

They were good detectives when they focused. Other realities interfered with their lives. Hoyt derailed Purple, and Purple quitting to protect his family derailed everything else.

Purple's wife didn't tell him anything (of course)...his dementia used her as a device to convey the inspiration he got from reading the passage about the boy in her book. His thoughts with her voice in his head. Much better use of her character than the momentum killing marital spat flashbacks.

The show should have ended in the porch; fade into his eye as his dementia sends him back in time to Vietnam, not to a bar conversation with his wife. The jungle was a nice symbol of his broken mind. Also the time jumps are common with dementia...my father had it in his last two years and some days he would get up to "go to work" at a job he retired from 15 years earlier and complain about Ross Perot throwing the election to Clinton (in 2015). He was literally living in another year...it was sad. This show nailed what dementia is like based on my experiences with my grandfather, grandmother and father. Looks like I will have it if I live long enough. Not looking forward to that.

This show was good but not great because editors these days are either weak, hamstrung, or both. At least an hour's worth of material, mostly the extended husband wife conversations, could have been cut. When you give the artist total creative control they spin off into rambling rabbit holes and it kills the buzz. Edit, edit, edit.

I did like the ending. Maybe I'm just tired of the pedo thing in real life media (hey, here's looking at you, Catholicism!) or in drama series. Maybe part of it is I have young daughters and I internalize stuff. But I liked the "happy" ending to this series.

After a night’s sleep I am coming around a bit and you make some good points. Still think they were shitty detectives. They never once documented junius’ name in 1980 after the riot at his trailer? Yet Harris’ widow remembers it after hearing it once 15 years ago?

They kind of realized that there were a lot of accidents in those days, so a one eyed black guy wasn't just going to be one person.

Yikes, pretty lazy finale. Yeah, let's just sit down with Mr. June and let him fact-dump the whole story to us with some crappy flashback scenes. Talk about anti-climatic.

Mr. June fact dumping the whole story was lame.

Two guys with glass eyes.

How did his wife die?

What happened with that Halloween photo with the ghosts?

Finale with all the marital shit got old. Real, but old and slow.

Nice twist at the end though.

a lot of build up and a quick, unfulfilling finish to the season. grade it a B.

Back