• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Carowinds is getting tallest, fastest, longest steel chain lift coaster in the world.

The intimidator is a fun ride, as is the cobra and what used to be top gun

While prices have gone up, the quality of ride has too since cedar fair took the pace over.

Haven't been to Carowinds in close to 20 years. Lots of fun memories from there. Carolina Cyclone was my first-ever coaster ride.

Top Gun was cool, as was the stand-up coaster, whose name I forget.

Can't believe the monorail is no more. That sucks.

Actually Disney struggles with this big time. They don't know when to wait and see or build an attraction before the movie comes out. For example, I heard that they spent years planning a Lone Ranger retheming and stunt show for Frontierland that got scraped when the movie bombed. I'll post more when I get a chance.

Are they still planning the Avatar land in Animal Kingdom? Seems like that wouldn't resonate anymore- although I may be biased since I think I'm the only person on the planet that hasn't seen Avatar.

Are they still planning the Avatar land in Animal Kingdom? Seems like that wouldn't resonate anymore- although I may be biased since I think I'm the only person on the planet that hasn't seen Avatar.

Yeah. Apparently construction has started, they're at least making room for it. James Cameron could scrap the plans so who knows. From what I've heard, Disney felt they had to counter Harry Potter at Universal, so they signed on with the highest grossing movie of all time. The problem is the hype for Avatar left as soon as people spent money and left the theater. It doesn't have the lasting legacy of other franchises and there really isn't a demand to interact with that universe. Are there people in all blue wearing stilts at Comic-Con?

The Disney issue is that they'd like to pair up attractions with with upcoming movies, but there's is a risk. Sometimes they play it right and sometimes they don't. They spent years and probably hundreds of thousands of dollars working on attractions and promotions for John Carter and The Lone Ranger and those movies bombed.

On the flip side, they were gun shy when Princess and the Frog didn't do so well and had nothing ready to go when Tangled blew up. That's why the new Tangled attraction in Magic Kingdom is 2.5 years after the movie was released and it's a bathroom and stroller parking.

The most interesting missed opportunity I heard is that EuroDisney was under construction in Paris in the early 90s and Beauty and the Beast (set in France) came out in 1991 and absolutely blew up and is probably Disney's most highly acclaimed film. But they had already started construction on Sleeping Beauty castle as the centerpiece and it was too late to theme it around Beast's castle.

Disney is focused on safe properties from now on and Marvel is considered a safe property after two billion dollar movies. That's why they have a Thor attraction in Disneyland in advance of Thor 2 coming out in November.
http://marvel.com/news/story/21176/thor_treasures_of_asgard_coming_to_disneyland_park

It's been ~3 years since I've been to Carowinds, but the most salient memory was how jolty all the rides were - I felt like I had a low-grade concussion at the end of the day.

That was part of why I liked the Cyclone... after going on the Hurler and Thunder Road, I felt like my neck was going to snap. The Cyclone was very smooth and I didn't have any problems keeping my head still. Also, I'm 6'3" and I can barely fit my legs in some of those rides.

I don't think it was my daughter's first upside-down coster (Space Mountain goes upside down, right?), but that is why she loved it.

That was part of why I liked the Cyclone... after going on the Hurler and Thunder Road, I felt like my neck was going to snap. The Cyclone was very smooth and I didn't have any problems keeping my head still. Also, I'm 6'3" and I can barely fit my legs in some of those rides.

I don't think it was my daughter's first upside-down coster (Space Mountain goes upside down, right?), but that is why she loved it.

No, unless you were at Disneyland Paris, I don't think so.

Last time I was at Disney, Space Mountain broke down while we were on it. The brakes locked and they turned the lights on. There's a very good reason its dark in there. The whole layout is in an area 1/3 the size your mind thinks it should be, and the track inter winds with itself so many times its dizzying with less clearance than you'd expect. I definitely kept my arms inside the car for the remainder of the ride.

Last time I was at Disney, Space Mountain broke down while we were on it. The brakes locked and they turned the lights on. There's a very good reason its dark in there. The whole layout is in an area 1/3 the size your mind thinks it should be, and the track inter winds with itself so many times its dizzying with less clearance than you'd expect. I definitely kept my arms inside the car for the remainder of the ride.

Saw the same thing on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority (blue train that swings around Tomorrowland) a few weeks ago. It was cool. It looks like some crazy death trap. Walt Disney was a brilliant dude to come up with the idea of putting roller coasters inside buildings.

Quick correction to what someone posted awhile back. Hollywood Studios has had attractions for The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast for over 20 years, so those movies have been represented in the parks before the New Fantasyland expansion.

Hm wonder how scary rock in roller coaster is w/ all teh lights on (at that speed).

I went to Disney world in high school with our physics class. Part of the trip was getting to go into the park 2 hours before it opened and we got to ride space mountain with the lights on, then with them off to compare perception of speed. It's crazy how right a lot of the spaces are.

I went to Disney world in high school with our physics class. Part of the trip was getting to go into the park 2 hours before it opened and we got to ride space mountain with the lights on, then with them off to compare perception of speed. It's crazy how right a lot of the spaces are.

Which seemed faster?

Saw the same thing on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority (blue train that swings around Tomorrowland) a few weeks ago. It was cool. It looks like some crazy death trap. Walt Disney was a brilliant dude to come up with the idea of putting roller coasters inside buildings.

Quick correction to what someone posted awhile back. Hollywood Studios has had attractions for The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast for over 20 years, so those movies have been represented in the parks before the New Fantasyland expansion.

A stage show? Seriously?

Not at the Magic Kingdom. Doesn't count.

Back