• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Caribbean Resort Recommendations

Go to St. john and rent a house. Rent a jeep. Explore. Profit. www.casalafamiglia.com (for example). (Maybe not for less than a week since it is a little bit of a hassle to get there with the ferry and all.) Apparently the island has pretty much recovered from the hurricane - every week it recovers a little more.

Go to Belize. Stay in Placencia at one of the resorts there. You should visit the town often.

Great experience, great people. English is the first language, which helps with exploring, setting up tours/fishing trips/snorkeling/etc. Turtle Inn and Chabil Mar Villas are both excellent, although very different. You can get to Belize City from a variety of places. Puddle jumper from there.

Live a little. Most Caribbean resorts offer pretty much the same experience.

I flew into there about 14 years ago, and there was nothing there. We had to wait for cows to clear off the runway before landing. In the morning there was no power because the dude you was responsible for turning it on got drunk and woke up late. It was pretty remote back then, I heard a lot has changed since. We slept on a boat that night there were no resorts.

Last edited:
While I'm sure a lot of folks here are anti-cruise, we had an amazing time on the SeaDream out of San Juan last early April. I'm definitely anti-big cruise myself. They claim to be a "yacht club" rather than a cruise and max out at 112 passengers. Able to dock at a lot of the smaller ports, and serve some of the best food I've ever had. 96 crew members from all over the world.

We hit Culebrita (nature preserve island off Puerto Rico), St. Thomas, Saba (very cool volcanic island), St Barts, Anguilla, Tortola, Norman Island, and Jost van Dyke on a 7 day trip. You can explore the islands on your own, or they organize 2-3 different activity options per port. Enjoyed it more than any other Caribbean resort experience.

https://seadream.com/voyages/search/destinations/caribbean

I flew into there about 14 years ago, and there was nothing there. We had to wait for cows to clear off the runway before landing. In the morning there was no power because the dude you was responsible for turning it on got drunk and woke up late. It was pretty remote back then, I heard a lot has changed since. We slept on a boat that night there were no resorts.

Got crushed by a hurricane I’m like 01 or 02. Took a while to rebuild. Still remote but those resorts I mentioned are awesome. Pretty sure Turtle Inn is 5 star. Owned by coppola. Unique place. Second largest barrier reef in the world. Great fishing. Mayan ruins. Friendly people. Certainly different but worth checking out.

Got crushed by a hurricane I’m like 01 or 02. Took a while to rebuild. Still remote but those resorts I mentioned are awesome. Pretty sure Turtle Inn is 5 star. Owned by coppola. Unique place. Second largest barrier reef in the world. Great fishing. Mayan ruins. Friendly people. Certainly different but worth checking out.

Yeah I was there in 03' so that makes sense. I mean it was awesome when I was there but we didn't see many people for 10 day's we were cruising up there. We went over a school of Amber Jacks one day and I remember being so sore from that day of fishing at the end of it I could barely hold the fish up on the gaff for pictures. Truly best diving/snorkeling of anywhere in the Caribbean I have been to. I am kinda pissed a bunch of resorts went up TBH, where they're resorts they're are dumbass's, where they're are dumbass's they're dead coral heads, and trash.

Going through all these resort websites, I notice that all of them list their fitness center as an amenity. Who the hell goes on a Caribbean vacation and then jumps on a treadmill?

While I'm sure a lot of folks here are anti-cruise, we had an amazing time on the SeaDream out of San Juan last early April. I'm definitely anti-big cruise myself. They claim to be a "yacht club" rather than a cruise and max out at 112 passengers. Able to dock at a lot of the smaller ports, and serve some of the best food I've ever had. 96 crew members from all over the world.

We hit Culebrita (nature preserve island off Puerto Rico), St. Thomas, Saba (very cool volcanic island), St Barts, Anguilla, Tortola, Norman Island, and Jost van Dyke on a 7 day trip. You can explore the islands on your own, or they organize 2-3 different activity options per port. Enjoyed it more than any other Caribbean resort experience.

https://seadream.com/voyages/search/destinations/caribbean

Do you mind my asking how much it was for the 7 days? I'm poking around on the website now and it looks pretty sweet.

Do you mind my asking how much it was for the 7 days? I'm poking around on the website now and it looks pretty sweet.

Definitely not cheap. We got a deal through a travel agent that helped a bit. Will try to find what we paid and PM you.

Definitely not cheap. We got a deal through a travel agent that helped a bit. Will try to find what we paid and PM you.

Cool. Thanks. Reading about it it certainly sounds "not cheap" (exclusive, all inclusive, etc). But we're a couple of years away from our 10th anniversary, so might be something to keep in mind for a splurge. The European ones look pretty sweet too.

My turn to resurrect this thread. Wide open on options, but currently looking at St. Lucia, T&C, Aruba, Grand Cayman, Antigua, and Grenada. Looking at early/mid-May for six nights.

Did half my honeymoon in St Lucia. Resort was awesome but man is that country poor. I felt guilty driving to and from the airport (even though I know the tourism monies is the only thing keeping it afloat now that all the banana trees got blown away).

Go to Belize. Stay in Placencia at one of the resorts there. You should visit the town often.

Great experience, great people. English is the first language, which helps with exploring, setting up tours/fishing trips/snorkeling/etc. Turtle Inn and Chabil Mar Villas are both excellent, although very different. You can get to Belize City from a variety of places. Puddle jumper from there.

Live a little. Most Caribbean resorts offer pretty much the same experience.

These days, Placencia is all over HGTV on shows like House Hunters International and the beach-centric shows.

Did half my honeymoon in St Lucia. Resort was awesome but man is that country poor. I felt guilty driving to and from the airport (even though I know the tourism monies is the only thing keeping it afloat now that all the banana trees got blown away).

We had the same experience driving to our honeymoon spot in Jamaica, so we're fully prepared to do it again.

Anybody done Little Dix Bay in the BVIs? Trying to plan an anniversary trip in May.

Anybody done Little Dix Bay in the BVIs? Trying to plan an anniversary trip in May.

I did that years ago (October 2013), got engaged there actually. We stayed in one of the houses up the hill above the "resort", but we still had access to all of the resort amenities. It was fantastic.

I'd imagine it's a bit different now given the various hurricanes/remodels, but I'm sure it's still great. It being October meant a lot of the island wasn't open, but it was quiet, so there's that usual balance. I'd assume in May things will be open.

Back