• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Caribbean Resort Recommendations

NjDeac77

Reaction score
Would appreciate any recommendations for resorts in the Caribbean for my upcoming honeymoon. Trying to stay away from big tourist resorts like Sandals, family resorts, or the normal islands (dominican, jamaica)

If anyone has been to Calabash Cove in St. Lucia, La Samanna or Le Domaine in St. Martin, reviews would be helpful.

We did Windsong Resort on Providenciales, Turks and Caicos. Sleepy island but easy to get to from east coast, beautiful beaches, very safe. We were super busy work wise leading up to our wedding so we mainly wanted relaxing trip. It was perfect for us.

I don't know the resorts you mentioned, but they look very nice. You run a risk tropical storms in November, although the storm season will be winding down...kind of a 50/50 proposition of really nice weather, IMO (based on two trips to the Riviera Maya in November). Edit - I'm probably being too harsh..make it 75/25% chance of great weather.

If you want to minimize the storm risk look at Aruba or Curacao as they are out of the hurricane belt. I don't think any of the higher end resorts on Aruba are all that great and about 25% of the guests will also be from NJ. On Curacao, Baoase Luxury Resort might meet your needs. It's the top resort on the island and is close to town (great restaurants) and also the livelier beach bars (not my idea of a honeymoon activity, but others might differ). Snorkeling is great on Curacao and there are a number of smaller, cove like beaches that are pretty secluded.

Last edited:
There is cap juluca on Anguilla and then there is everything else....

Have always heard Cap Juluca is fabulous. I was planning on taking my wife there for our 20th anniversary in 2000 until hurricane Lenny leveled that area in mid-November of 1999. IIRC, November has the heaviest rainfall of any month on Anguilla.

We were married in November, so planning anniversary trips around hurricane season is an annual affair. The risk isn't that great, but being at a beach during a tropical storm or hurricane really sucks. We still take the risk on occasion - we'll be in Key West for this year's anniversary, after the past two years on Curacao and Aruba before that.

Never been there but I have heard that Ladera on St Lucia is amazing.

Also 94deac bat signal.

Heading to Eden Rock on St. Barts in November. I did a lot of research and have heard great things about St. Barts.

Would appreciate any recommendations for resorts in the Caribbean for my upcoming honeymoon. Trying to stay away from big tourist resorts like Sandals, family resorts, or the normal islands (dominican, jamaica)

If anyone has been to Calabash Cove in St. Lucia, La Samanna or Le Domaine in St. Martin, reviews would be helpful.

My wife and I stayed at Calabash Cove about 3 years ago in early to mid-December. I would definitely recommend it. We stayed in a Water's Edge Cottage, which has a private plunge pool, great view of the ocean, hammock and plenty of space to lay out in semi-privacy.

Pool itself was cool and the bartenders at the pool bar were awesome. Happy to discuss further Nj if you have questions, but it definitely meets your criteria. Limited beach though, but not a big deal if a pool and view works for you.

Sports note: The guy who followed Eli as Ole Miss QB was staying in the cottage next to us.
Chick note: I think they filmed a Bachelor finale there.

Agree Cap Juluca is the shit, but it was silly expensive when we honeymooned there in 2008 and even higher now.

Reactions: ITK
thanks for the recommendations... will let you know how it plays out

Reviving this thread as the Mrs and I are planning a trip with 4 other couples to the Caribbean in November. We're open to a big house for all to stay in or a resort. Ideally, we would be able to fly non-stop from Atlanta. Would be willing to ferry to island (ie Anguilla from St Maarten) if necessary.

NJDeac77 - where did you end up?

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

St. Bart was awesome. You can fly directly to St. Maarten and take a 30 minute ferry over. The only downside is that everything on the island is very expensive. Other than that, it's my favorite island I've been to. Very clean, great restaurants, beautiful beaches. I would highly recommend Eden Rock but there are tons of villas on the island that you can rent that are pretty affordable if you are splitting between 4 couples. By the way, there are 2 nude beaches with many good looking topless (and sometimes bottomless) French women.

St. Bart was awesome. You can fly directly to St. Maarten and take a 30 minute ferry over. The only downside is that everything on the island is very expensive. Other than that, it's my favorite island I've been to. Very clean, great restaurants, beautiful beaches. I would highly recommend Eden Rock but there are tons of villas on the island that you can rent that are pretty affordable if you are splitting between 4 couples. By the way, there are 2 nude beaches with many good looking topless (and sometimes bottomless) French women.

One of the couples went to St Bart recently, so I'm guessing they will want to go somewhere differently. They said it was great, but very expensive.

Never been there but I have heard that Ladera on St Lucia is amazing.

Also 94deac bat signal.

Yeah, missed this one. We're pretty much locked into Cayman Brac and stay at a private home now. I've got 990 weeks, 5 days and roughly 10 hours before I retire there.

For a couple, the best I've ever been to is Peter Island, in the BVI. You should seriously check into it. Ms. Shorty and I have been there three times and I'm sure we'll go back. The entire island is just the one small resort. They have a ton of cool day trips you can do as well. We've snorkeled out in open waters at Blonde Rock, done Virgin Gorda, swim with dolphins, etc. It's not cheap, but it is truly first class.

http://www.peterisland.com/?utm_sou...m_campaign=Peter Island Brand&_vsrefdom=p.638

Reviving this thread as the Mrs and I are planning a trip with 4 other couples to the Caribbean in November. We're open to a big house for all to stay in or a resort. Ideally, we would be able to fly non-stop from Atlanta. Would be willing to ferry to island (ie Anguilla from St Maarten) if necessary.

NJDeac77 - where did you end up?

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

Look at the houses at the Tryall Club in Jamaica. Best vacation we have ever had. Our house came with a private pool, golf cart to get to the private beach, great view over the golf course to the ocean and, best of all, a staff. We had a laundress so our dirty clothes were folded in a basket for us every morning, our beds were turned down at night, and best of all, the cook was amazing! The food was out of this world good! There is something awesome about sitting around in the evening after dinner and having someone say "what time would you like breakfast in the morning?". Then, in the morning, you hear the tinkling of the bell and know that feed time is on - same thing for every meal!
The wives were super-relaxed since they didn't have to lift a finger...
Anyway - I would highly recommend it. Winter is their high season, though, so probably expensive. We went in the summer and it was very reasonable - but quite hot!

Last edited:
Back