• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Would you trade Wake's FBS football status for a guaranteed annual NCAA Tourney bid?

Would you trade NCAA bid annually for FCS status?

• Total voters

Wakeforest22890

Snowpom
Reaction score
If you found a magic genie and he gave you the following choice, what would you do?

Wake is guaranteed to make an NCAA Tournament every single year, where they are playing at an NCAA caliber level, but in exchange Wake has to drop to the FCS level for football.

There is no guarantee of a Final Four or anything, but we're assuming for the sake of the question that Wake would make the NCAA on their own merits. This means that they would have around 20+ wins every year. It would also likely mean we have a very good chance at making a run in the ACC Tournament each year and a shot at a national title. In exchange though, the team moves to the FCS level - we'll say the SoCon - for football. Basketball remains in the ACC.

I decided to make it the FCS level because we could still tailgate and what not whereas if we just abandoned the football team there would be no such fun.

Poll forthcoming

I voted for NCAA Tournament team. Hey, we might even win the FCS national title after the switch to FCS.

Hell yes.

Wake's football team will never realistically consistently compete at an elite level. Those who think they can are delusional homers.

Wake's basketball team is capable of achieving that elite level and recently demonstrated it for 15 straight years. To have that garunteed every year going forward and be immuned from future Bzdelikings in a no brainer.

Give me the NCAA tournament consistently every year and I'll gladly give up a once in two decades Orange Bowl pipe dream.

Moved from other thread.

I wonder how competitive we would be if we dropped down to FCS. Elite private school with an awesome basketball team and a pretty cool football stadium. I'd take it.

Fuck nah. But I like football way more than bball. I'll be in the vast minority, I know.

My initial thought was no, since I much prefer football to basketball. But how can you say no to that kind of success?

A fanbase can dream...

I voted that I don't care, because I am getting to that point with MSD. I don't care if we win or lose, I don't care if we are on tv - for football or basketball. It's just too depressing and wasteful to spend the energy caring for our teams anymore.

Thanks Wellbama.

No way. We're Wake Forest so making the tournament every year would just lead to more epic disappointments and heart-breakers.

And football Saturdays are fuggin amazing, regardless of result

Another question which could go along with it would be at what level of success for basketball would you not trade in for a drop down to FCS in football?

I think if Wake even made 4 of every 5 NCAA tournaments I would be fine with dropping down. I also love Wake basketball far more than I love Wake football, even though I have a vested interest in both.

Half of our fanbase could care less if we're competitive in football. I love the team and Grobe gave us a hell of a run, but the culture change we actually need is about as much of a pipe dream as getting back to the Orange Bowl under this leadership...

No way. We're Wake Forest so making the tournament every year would just lead to more epic disappointments and heart-breakers.

We'd still have football saturdays, just wouldn't suck as much because we'd be winning some games

You would still get to tailgate if that's why you are saying the Saturdays are amazing.

Would anyone be willing to make an equivalent sacrifice in favor of the football program?

Let's say at least 7-8 wins each year in football and playing in the SoCon in basketball.

I would never make this trade, but I'm wondering if others might.

Half of our fanbase could care less if we're competitive in football. I love the team and Grobe gave us a hell of a run, but the culture change we actually need is about as much of a pipe dream as getting back to the Orange Bowl under this leadership...

Before 2006 I didn't care at all if Wake football was good or not, I just liked going to the games.

Would anyone be willing to make an equivalent sacrifice in favor of the football program?

Let's say at least 7-8 wins each year in football and playing in the SoCon in basketball.

I would never make this trade, but I'm wondering if others might.

I was thinking the reverse would be guaranteed to make a top 4 ACC bowl each year while dropping to the SoCon in basketball.

With ASU and GSU jumping ship from the Socon, WF might actually have a chance to win it.

With ASU and GSU jumping ship from the Socon, WF might actually have a chance to win it.

Are we talking in the future or this year? Wake is better than every single SoCon team right now by at least a touchdown on a neutral field except for Georgia Southern (according to Sagarin through 4 weeks, which will admittedly get more accurate as the season moves on)

Back