• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

One steak per recruit

Is our recruiting poor because our coaches do not know how to compete for talent for because we do not give them the resources to win recruiting battles? It is probably both, but I am weighting the resources issue as the biggest reason.

Is our recruiting poor because our coaches do not know how to compete for talent for because we do not give them the resources to win recruiting battles? It is probably both, but I am weighting the resources issue as the biggest reason.

If, and it's a big if, Grobe has checked out, maybe nonsense like this is one reason.

Edited to say I'm referring to the lack of resources as nonsense, not the post that I've quoted.

Last edited:
If, and it's a big if, Grobe has checked out, maybe nonsense like this is one reason.

Meh.

I wouldn't give Grobe that much credit. PhDeac has painted a pretty damning portrait of Grobo's recruiting struggles over the year.

Lots of coaches recruit poorly without restrictions because they are just bad at it (or don't care).

I have a very hard time believing that our standards are any more difficult than those of Northwestern or Stanford. And we probably spend more money on football than at least the former. And we're certainly more big time than Duke (hell, most high schools here in Texas are bigger time than Duke).

We count steaks but don't count fans in the stands?

Our football and basketball programs are a complete train wreck.

Yes. We count the steaks and there are 26,500 steaks in that tray.

Lots of coaches recruit poorly without restrictions because they are just bad at it (or don't care).

I have a very hard time believing that our standards are any more difficult than those of Northwestern or Stanford. And we probably spend more money on football than at least the former. And we're certainly more big time than Duke (hell, most high schools here in Texas are bigger time than Duke).
And yet Duke will easily beat us this year.

I don't know but I remember a conversation with Dino and he said our recruiting resources put us at a huge disadvantage. I'm sure football is much worse.

I don't know but I remember a conversation with Dino and he said our recruiting resources put us at a huge disadvantage. I'm sure football is much worse.

Really? Even in basketball? I know that's the problem Brownell keeps running into....

If only we had the pull of Stetson basketball or ULM football...

So all of the facility improvements that Wellman likes to trot out were actually only for the benefit of the big donors, and not for the benefit of recruits and players who actually play the games that people come to watch.

Awesome.

So all of the facility improvements that Wellman likes to trot out were actually only for the benefit of the big donors, and not for the benefit of recruits and players who actually play the games that people come to watch.

Awesome.

It seems Wellman has this warped sense of what it takes to get people to come watch games...that or he only cares what the things look good to the suits.

Why are we feeding recruits through a buffet line like at K and W anyway? Why not have a 3 course sit down meal and have people wait on them? Treat them like kings for the day, as long as it doesn't break any stupid NCAA rules.

Awesome.

Well said. The Galloway story and lack of improvement in recruiting and on the field support this.

"The reason for the sign is simple. We can afford an almost limitless number of steaks - but the number of recruits that want to attend Wake Forest is truly limitless."

-Ron Wellman

Back