Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
    I tested out using a DNS redirect this week with NHL.tv and it worked like a charm. Watched the Canes game on Tuesday with no blackout issues.

Is anyone using an outdoor HDTV antenna hooked up to existing wiring previously used for cable/satellite? Any guidance there?
    Just isolate the line going to your cable modem (if you are still using it) and you are good to go.

Is anyone using an outdoor HDTV antenna hooked up to existing wiring previously used for cable/satellite? Any guidance there?
    I'm doing this. Go to antennaweb.org which takes into account several factors including distances from transmitters, distance of cable run, etc to determine type antenna and whether signal needs to be amplified.

jon gruden's haircut smallbigtall's Avatar
    I tested out using a DNS redirect this week with NHL.tv and it worked like a charm. Watched the Canes game on Tuesday with no blackout issues.

Yep, that's what I did. Mounted the antenna on the old satellite mast, used the existing wiring, works great. May not be a bad idea to have an in-line amp, especially if you're splitting the signal to multiple rooms.

Also +1 to what Dog says
    Last edited by smallbigtall; 04-08-2016 at 03:25 PM.

SlingTV just announced they are adding a 3 stream multi stream package that includes local Fox (certain markets) and fox national broadcasts as wells as all fox sports and regional fox sports channels. Unfortunately this package doesn't include any ESPN channels, so you would have to subscribe to the original one stream package to get ESPN as well as new multi stream package to get Fox, and you would have all the other basic channels twice. But it's progress.

Ishmael Smith
    so I am moving in a week. currently have directv, want to get it at the new house too for sunday ticket. think ill have better luck canceling, getting an offer to stay and sticking with them, or should I just cancel and set up an entirely new account under my wifes name. basically, will I get a better retention deal or better new subscriber deal?

Mind sharing which DNS redirect you're using?

Quote Originally Posted by smallbigtall View Post
    Yep, that's what I did. Mounted the antenna on the old satellite mast, used the existing wiring, works great. May not be a bad idea to have an in-line amp, especially if you're splitting the signal to multiple rooms.

Also +1 to what Dog says
    What are you using for internet? Cable modem? If so, how are you running that?

jon gruden's haircut smallbigtall's Avatar
    AT&T U-verse. Running the internet through power line adapters to my Rokus' ethernet ports, using wifi everywhere else.

Right, but I'm assuming that if you repurposed the incoming cable line for the antenna you had to run a new line for the cable modem, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by wfumike02 View Post
    Mind sharing which DNS redirect you're using?
    Unblock-us.com

in your backseat with duct tape stretched out
    we have cut the cord & haven't looked back!! we cast everything using google chrome cast. we have internet through time warner. we subscribe to hulu plus & Netflix. i use other apps(ESPN, NBC LIVE EXTRA & FOX SPORTS GO) + my boss' time warner cable login to view sporting events.
    life is what you make it!!

Anyone using gigabit internet from AT&T? I'm no fan of TWC and their comparatively low speeds, but I'm also no fan of contracts and data caps. Anyone come anywhere close to the 1TB cap as a cord cutter?

Robert O'Kelley
    I average about 300GB/mo

Sam "Ace" Rothstein
    Quote Originally Posted by dot com View Post
    I average about 300GB/mo
    Same here. Usually closer to 250... Though I am only about 4 months into my cord-cutting experience.

Just FYI - You are aren't really cutting the chord when you use someone else's cable login.

dot com and DeacATS, how much stuff are you watching that is streaming to get you to 250-300 gb/mo? Like hours/day on average?

Sam "Ace" Rothstein
    I'd guess it is no more than 2-3 hours/day, with the caveat of certain days being a LOT more (Masters weekend, for example).

Maybe an hour of my daughter watching Sesame Street or a movie or something.
    About an hour of my wife and I watching TV on the couch after daughter goes to sleep.
    And then maybe I have it on for an hour in bed (NBA playoffs or something).

Robert O'Kelley
    I don't actually know as my wife and kids do most of the streaming (netflix, hulu, amazon), but I would guess 1-4 hours a day combined. I mostly play video games, which I assume uses much less than video.

I'm close to going HD antenna and Netflix. I live 10 minutes from downtown Tampa and Verizon sold Fios to Frontier and its been a mess...Brighthouse's HD picture and internet speed are not as good as Fios...Fios internet is super fast...not sure what to do about that...

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    My neighborhood in New Tampa bay only has Bright House. Been thinking about ditching DirecTV but I've had problems with their internet about 5-6 times over the last 3 years. Not sure I can trust all my TV to their internet.