Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas33 View Post
    Amazon Fire TV stick with Kodi.
    What is Kodi?

Scott "Rufio" Feather
    My daughter is living on a very meager budget in her first job. She spends an excessive amount of $$$ each month for cable, so she's going to ditch it and go with Sling TV and and a simple HD antenna. My question: what is the minimum internet speed requirement to stream TV?

Quote Originally Posted by JGDeac View Post
    What is Kodi?
    He can't shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by siff View Post
    My daughter is living on a very meager budget in her first job. She spends an excessive amount of $$$ each month for cable, so she's going to ditch it and go with Sling TV and and a simple HD antenna. My question: what is the minimum internet speed requirement to stream TV?
    We have a small is (morris broadband) here near asheville and our Internet is 12 Mbs. It steams fine. I would check out www.dtv.gov to check the address for over the air (antenna) signal. We used a mohu leaf (50 from Walmart ) for our antenna. Kodi is freeware which is used for home media centers: very neat but not necessary. I built our home media center using kodi- frankly I would skip it for the average user. Sling seems like a good option.

jon gruden's haircut smallbigtall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacOnCapeCod View Post
    We have a small is (morris broadband) here near asheville and our Internet is 12 Mbs. It steams fine. I would check out www.dtv.gov to check the address for over the air (antenna) signal. We used a mohu leaf (50 from Walmart ) for our antenna. Kodi is freeware which is used for home media centers: very neat but not necessary. I built our home media center using kodi- frankly I would skip it for the average user. Sling seems like a good option.
    This is about right. Depending on location she may have to experiment with antennas. I'm in Winston and my indoor antenna signals were always spotty until I mounted it on the roof, now it's great. Agree with Kodi being useful for some purposes, but a Roku+SlingTV plus some combination of Netflix+Hulu+Amazon Prime should give her most of what she needs without the headache that I've found Kodi to be (primarily in watching sports).

Scott "Rufio" Feather
    Thanks, all. She has Chromecast, so won't need Roku. She has Hulu, too. Appreciate your help

Thanks, all. She has Chromecast, so won't need Roku. She has Hulu, too. Appreciate your help
    I have both and never use the chromecast anymore for the simple fact that a remote with physical buttons >>>>>>>>> unlocking your smartphone to pause the video or navigate through netflix or whatever.

It's the holidays. There'll be a good deal on a roku. Get her a present she can use

Quote Originally Posted by JGDeac View Post
    What is Kodi?
    Kodi is a media center program that can run on all types og platforms, windows, apple, android, game consoles etc. The have channels called add ons that range from HBO, Showtime. Abc , Nbc to the sports leagues and ppv. The amazon fire stick is the cheapest device that will run Kodi. And for those non geeks a quick youtube search for kodi and the tvmc addons also known as fusion will get you every television show, movie and sporting event.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBumDeac View Post
    I have both and never use the chromecast anymore for the simple fact that a remote with physical buttons >>>>>>>>> unlocking your smartphone to pause the video or navigate through netflix or whatever.

It's the holidays. There'll be a good deal on a roku. Get her a present she can use
    Agree on the Roku. It's become our go to streaming platform.

Chromecast is useful for filling in the gaps that roku can't, like casting Golf Channel.

Robert O'Kelley
    Sling on Chromecast is still "soon", that will help, but yeah for now the Roku stick gets the most work.

Scott "Rufio" Feather

Great idea. Thanks.

Scott "Rufio" Feather
    So I bought my daughter 3 months of Sling TV, with the Roku stick and remote. Thanks for the recommendation, though, annoyingly, the package never arrived and it had to be shipped again. She'll get it next week.

A related question: she cut off her cable this weekend and now is using only an HD antenna. A while back, I got her a slingbox as well (we want to watch her local news for reasons I won't go into here). Can a slingbox be connected to her network if she's only using an antenna at this point? Dumb question, I'm sure, but because I don't have one here I can't figure it out. Grazie.

Scott "Rufio" Feather
    Ha ha, not the case at all. She works for a TV station.

jon gruden's haircut smallbigtall's Avatar
    The answer is yes, siff

Ha ha, not the case at all. She works for a TV station.
    Whooooosh

Sam "Ace" Rothstein
    Cutting the cord on Monday, February 1st.

Dropped AT&T Uverse (was going from $185 to $220/month, even w/ all of the promos they added and begging I did).

Went to Xfinity for 250mbps internet + HBO & local channels for $59.99. Keeping Netflix & Amazon Prime and adding Hulu (w/o commercials) & Sling TV (paying the extra $5 for sports package).

Will be running everything through my Xbox One. Everything together should cost me $110/month.

Anyone see any problems w/ that? Besides the obvious issue of not having a DVR (which doesn't yet bother me)

Quote Originally Posted by DeacsATS View Post
    Cutting the cord on Monday, February 1st.

Dropped AT&T Uverse (was going from $185 to $220/month, even w/ all of the promos they added and begging I did).

Went to Xfinity for 250mbps internet + HBO & local channels for $59.99. Keeping Netflix & Amazon Prime and adding Hulu (w/o commercials) & Sling TV (paying the extra $5 for sports package).

Will be running everything through my Xbox One. Everything together should cost me $110/month.

Anyone see any problems w/ that? Besides the obvious issue of not having a DVR (which doesn't yet bother me)
    Amazon Prime is 1/2 price for students so that would save you about $5 a month.

Robert O'Kelley
    Is there a Sling app for Xbox? I guess they probably still send you a free Roku when you subscribe anyway.

Sam "Ace" Rothstein
    Quote Originally Posted by dot com View Post
    Is there a Sling app for Xbox? I guess they probably still send you a free Roku when you subscribe anyway.
    Yes, there is.

Yeah... Will use whatever they send me for 2nd TV (kids playroom)