• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

Another HD antenna question. I currently have a cable line coming into the house and splitting off to 3 tvs. Would I be able to simply buy an antenna, patch it in to that with a splitter, and have the OTA tv coming in to all 3 tvs at once while at the same time preserving the signal for the cable modem for internet?

Just FYI - You are aren't really cutting the chord when you use someone else's cable login.

Ok. So I'm cutting the high price of satellite TV, in exchange for piggybacking on my boss' bill.

Mike, I have a RCA amplified non-directional antenna which I purchased from Amazon for around $45. I live halfway between Winston & High Point. I'm able to pick up channels from Chapel Hill & Concord.

Another HD antenna question. I currently have a cable line coming into the house and splitting off to 3 tvs. Would I be able to simply buy an antenna, patch it in to that with a splitter, and have the OTA tv coming in to all 3 tvs at once while at the same time preserving the signal for the cable modem for internet?

It's easy to try it out and see what happens. I am not sure if the HDTV signal and internet signal would be able to coexist like that, but maybe they can. Or you run a dedicated line from the cable modem, join it to the cable line by disconnecting the cable line from the splitter, and then attach your antenna to the splitter. It's essentially the same amount of work.

Aside from that potential issue, with antennas you can run into problems with signal loss if there is too much cable run and too many splitters between the antenna and the TV. When I did this a few years ago, I had to buy a signal booster - a doohickey that plugs into an electrical outlet and amplifies the antenna signal so it had enough power to get to all my TVs.

Right, but I'm assuming that if you repurposed the incoming cable line for the antenna you had to run a new line for the cable modem, correct?
No, for two reasons. 1) AT&T isn't cable. 2) I repurposed a DIRECTV satellite coax for the antenna. The cable line is still there, sitting unused

It's easy to try it out and see what happens. I am not sure if the HDTV signal and internet signal would be able to coexist like that, but maybe they can. Or you run a dedicated line from the cable modem, join it to the cable line by disconnecting the cable line from the splitter, and then attach your antenna to the splitter. It's essentially the same amount of work.

Aside from that potential issue, with antennas you can run into problems with signal loss if there is too much cable run and too many splitters between the antenna and the TV. When I did this a few years ago, I had to buy a signal booster - a doohickey that plugs into an electrical outlet and amplifies the antenna signal so it had enough power to get to all my TVs.
TITCR

I have had good success running my antenna signal through 50+ feet (some rooms might be closer to 100) without an amplifier. There are days where the signal is spotty due to weather, but generally it's strong enough that it works on every TV in the house.

So does anyone here actually have Playstation Vue? I'm trying to figure out how connecting to multiple TV's would work, and can't find a clear answer that is less than a year old. Do I need multiple Playstations? Would they all have to be PS4's?

I'm not certain, having not used Playstation Vue myself (though I am curious about it), but I thought you could use an Amazon Fire stick to access it as well.

So does anyone here actually have Playstation Vue? I'm trying to figure out how connecting to multiple TV's would work, and can't find a clear answer that is less than a year old. Do I need multiple Playstations? Would they all have to be PS4's?

From what I've read, you can use a fire stick or fire tv, chromecast, apple tv, or another playstation, to use Vue on another TV. With that being said, wanted to get people's thoughts on this setup that I am considering:

Xfinity for high (75mbps) or mid (25mpbs) speed internet for $30 or $40 a month in year 1
Playstation Vue mid tier package for $35 per month
Fire TV Stick for $40 once (don't really see the point of getting Fire TV for $99 if I'm getting Playstation Vue)
Maybe Netflix for $8 per month
HBO for $15 a month as needed

Still trying to figure out the internet as it will just be me at the house and shouldn't have more than 3 or 4 devices using it at once so not sure if it's worth the extra $10 per month for fast internet or not. To me this grouping makes the most sense as Playstation Vue now has ESPN and a lot of other solid channels and no sense in getting locked into a year of HBO with Xfinity when I only probably need it about half the year. Just wanted to get people's thoughts on this setup especially from people that have used Playstation Vue as this seems like the most bang for your buck.

2 comments on the above:

1- I got the newest Roku stick instead of the Fire TV stick... I think it is a great product, but I admittedly only have limited experience with the Fire stick.
2- Xfinity gave me a month to month deal for internet... 250mbps, HBO, and local channels for ~$70 (after taxes and fees). It's not exactly "cutting the cord", but they don't charge me for the box and getting HBO and the local channels has been nice (especially for my wife, who loves watching the network shows "on demand"). My point is that you should ask Xfinity what they can do for you... There are a lot of offers that they don't post for everyone... They did a soft credit check on me and it unlocked a bunch of much cheaper month to month options.

2 comments on the above:

1- I got the newest Roku stick instead of the Fire TV stick... I think it is a great product, but I admittedly only have limited experience with the Fire stick.
2- Xfinity gave me a month to month deal for internet... 250mbps, HBO, and local channels for ~$70 (after taxes and fees). It's not exactly "cutting the cord", but they don't charge me for the box and getting HBO and the local channels has been nice (especially for my wife, who loves watching the network shows "on demand"). My point is that you should ask Xfinity what they can do for you... There are a lot of offers that they don't post for everyone... They did a soft credit check on me and it unlocked a bunch of much cheaper month to month options.

Thanks. Looked into number 2 and we don't have internet that fast here and the $40 a month is the best option it seems like for 75mbps. Anyone have opinions on a good modem as planning on buying one as opposed to paying an extra $9 per month to rent one from comcast.

I got an ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem and it has been just fine. $100 on Amazon. Supported by Comcast (and I think recommended, as well).

I got an ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem and it has been just fine. $100 on Amazon. Supported by Comcast (and I think recommended, as well).

Thanks. Based on some research, it looks like I'll be fine with their $70 modem they have as it is good for download speeds up to 150 mbps and I'm going with the 75mbps internet from Comcast. What are your thoughts on a router? Found this one that is getting great reviews, but wasn't sure if something a bit cheaper would do http://www.amazon.com/RT-AC68U/dp/B00FB45SI4/?tag=ss-modem-20.

Last edited:
Cut the cord. We get shitty internet deals around here.

Thanks. Based on some research, it looks like I'll be fine with their $70 modem they have as it is good for download speeds up to 150 mbps and I'm going with the 75mbps internet from Comcast. What are your thoughts on a router? Found this one that is getting great reviews, but wasn't sure if something a bit cheaper would do http://www.amazon.com/RT-AC68U/dp/B00FB45SI4/?tag=ss-modem-20.

keep in mind I know nothing about this. but it seems like something like this would be just as good for what you are looking for

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Y5RYNY/ref=psdc_300189_t1_B001FWYGJS

Honestly, I couldn't tell you. I used to try to stay on top of this stuff, nowadays I let the Wirecutter guys tell me what I need.

Roommate with the Roku just moved out so I'm looking for a streaming device. Is Roku the best thing going right now? Looking at HD antennae, how important is the range? I'm in a big city, if that matters. Any antennae recs?

Roommate with the Roku just moved out so I'm looking for a streaming device. Is Roku the best thing going right now? Looking at HD antennae, how important is the range? I'm in a big city, if that matters. Any antennae recs?

Pretty much. I've got Roku, FireTV, and Chromecast and I use the Roku the most.

For the antenna, the most important thing is the proximity of the broadcast stations. If the stations are all close by, you can probably get by with a little Mohu Leaf or the like, but if they're 20+ miles out (like they are here in Winston) you'll want something in the attic, or better yet on the roof, and pointed at the stations. Check out antennaweb.org for info on where the stations are.

I have this antenna mounted on my roof and it generally works great, but can sometimes be iffy with the stations in High Point 35 miles away. I've been entertaining upgrading to this one to see if it solves my High Point woes.

Back