• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

I got a Mohu Leaf and then tried the cheaper generic Amazon branded antennas on my other two TV's, and the cheaper ones actually picked up more channels. That's just my experience, so take it for what it's worth, but I don't think you need to go ball out on an antenna.

I'd also second the Roku. My in-laws have a Fire and I feel like the interface is better on the Roku and there are more apps available.

It's not cost effective but having an Xbox One as a streaming device is probably my favorite.

I tried the Mohu Leaf but didn't get good enough reception with it (which is weird because I'm only 30 miles away from Philadelphia).

We did begin a trial of Playstation Vue earlier this week. Contrary to what the name suggests, you don't need a Playstation to use it (I'm accessing it with a Fire Stick). It offers local channels and our regional sports channels, which I don't believe any other streaming services (or even DirecTV for that matter) offer. It apparently also offers ESPN3 service. I'm planning to cancel our Comcast triple play and go with an internet-only plan early next week. We're already paying for Netflix and Amazon Prime anyway, so this should save over a hundred bucks a month.

I tried the Mohu Leaf but didn't get good enough reception with it (which is weird because I'm only 30 miles away from Philadelphia).

We did begin a trial of Playstation Vue earlier this week. Contrary to what the name suggests, you don't need a Playstation to use it (I'm accessing it with a Fire Stick). It offers local channels and our regional sports channels, which I don't believe any other streaming services (or even DirecTV for that matter) offer. It apparently also offers ESPN3 service. I'm planning to cancel our Comcast triple play and go with an internet-only plan early next week. We're already paying for Netflix and Amazon Prime anyway, so this should save over a hundred bucks a month.

I was seriously considering dropping DirecTV and picking up Playstation Vue, but when I called DirectV to cancel, they were able to drop my bill from $120 to $53. At that price, I'm glad to stick with DTV for another year. Also, I don't think Vue offers locals here in NC. Still, Vue does seem like a pretty good midway point between having cable/satellite and only using hulu/netflix/etc.

Being unable to watch the Flyers was previously a dealbreaker for me. So excited to ditch Comcast.

Got rid of Comcast today for everything but internet. Great feeling!

Got rid of Comcast today for everything but internet. Great feeling!

Did the same a year ago with TWC. Haven't had any problems yet, except one game that was buried on some Fox Sports South Georgia Coastal Gazebo station.

I went back to the darkside. Got Xfinity for my main TV. X1 operating system is pretty sweet... I can't deny it. Felt like I needed cable for football season (and the wife was pushing for a DVR). Bump in price was offset by canceling Sling TV (which, unfortunately, sucked).

Roku sticks for other TVs are great. Even better now that the kids can watch the Xfinity stuff through apps (Nick Jr, Disney Jr, etc).

I think we are going to try out the Sony vue service for football season. Works on roku and has cloud dvr

Can I use directv app on roku for the Disney jr, nick Jr. stuff? So it's free other wise I think they charge

Pretty much. I've got Roku, FireTV, and Chromecast and I use the Roku the most.

For the antenna, the most important thing is the proximity of the broadcast stations. If the stations are all close by, you can probably get by with a little Mohu Leaf or the like, but if they're 20+ miles out (like they are here in Winston) you'll want something in the attic, or better yet on the roof, and pointed at the stations. Check out antennaweb.org for info on where the stations are.

I have this antenna mounted on my roof and it generally works great, but can sometimes be iffy with the stations in High Point 35 miles away. I've been entertaining upgrading to this one to see if it solves my High Point woes.

Some of this discussion about antennas, directionality, indoor vs outdoor etc. sound so 1960's. People with highly directional antennas could receive TV signals from maybe up to 100 miles away, but everytime you changed the channel you had to rotate the antenna to face the exact location of the channel. People with electric motor outside antenna rotators and directional antennas were the envy of the neighborhood because they could get more than three channels.

Some of this discussion about antennas, directionality, indoor vs outdoor etc. sound so 1960's. People with highly directional antennas could receive TV signals from maybe up to 100 miles away, but everytime you changed the channel you had to rotate the antenna to face the exact location of the channel. People with electric motor outside antenna rotators and directional antennas were the envy of the neighborhood because they could get more than three channels.

I'm sure it does, but I suspect we're pointing our (now digital) antennas at the exact same broadcast towers as our parents did growing up.

I'm sure it does, but I suspect we're pointing our (now digital) antennas at the exact same broadcast towers as our parents did growing up.

Some are the same, but there is the addition of Fox as a fourth broadcast network, which increases the options. Also, some of the UHF channels are much more entertaining than when they just showed reruns of 5 year old network stuff.

Dang. Game over man for the Cable companies. The only thing that was keeping me from cord cutting was live HDTV / sports. If this is real, then its the game changer everyone has been waiting for.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/28/1...g-tv-service-announced-hd-live-cable-channels

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/28/youtube-announces-skinny-tv-bundle-.html

The company announced a live and on-demand TV service called "YouTubeTV" on Tuesday. The subscription, which will cost $35 a month for a family plan of up to six accounts, is expected to launch in the next few months.

Subscribers will have access to up to 40 networks, as well as YouTube creator content. Channels include all broadcast channels and cable channels like USA, FX, Freeform, ESPN, Fox Sports and NBC Sports. Users can add Showtime and soccer programming for an additional fee.

I pay over $200/mo for erething now. With this I could get down to like less than $100 per month. YUUUUUGE savings.

I get pretty much the same deal from Playstation Vue now

Back