• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

I have issues with chromecast when streaming from my computer but not the espn3 app on my phone. No idea why. The computer stream works fine when I'm just watching on that and not the chromecast

i will try that this weekend as my fire stick is not coming until monday apparently. I think the tab casting in computer Chrome is inherently less stable than the optimized casting from an app like the WatchESPN app.

If you have a few minutes this week you can test it out on some random soccer game or something before the weekend (there's always some live event on WatchESPN it seems) - that way you can see if it works better than it has been or if you want to look into a temporary fix for the weekend.

Watching Boise State New Mexico game. Feed is much more stable than Saturday. There is definitely a difference between casting via watchespn app vs tab mirror. Tab mirror has a subtle stutter and often has an audio lag. Watchespn is smooth, no stutter, less/no audio lag. Will test Saturday too.

I think after 3 months of no access to FOX (disagreement between DirecTV & local FOX affiliate) I'm finally ready to cut ties with DirecTV after a decade. I've done some light research on cutting the cord but know that some of you all have been at it a while so I thought I'd inquire here. I'm not a huge fan of Spectrum so I'd like to avoid that if possible (although I've had RoadRunner for years.) What's the general consensus on Sling TV?

I guess my biggest worry is regarding the local networks. I really don't want to worry with splitting antenna signals to 3 different TVs but I'm not sure I have another option as the streaming services I've looked at only offer the On-Demand content and not really live TV from networks. Also, is there an affordable over-the-air DVR that anyone can suggest?

I think after 3 months of no access to FOX (disagreement between DirecTV & local FOX affiliate) I'm finally ready to cut ties with DirecTV after a decade. I've done some light research on cutting the cord but know that some of you all have been at it a while so I thought I'd inquire here. I'm not a huge fan of Spectrum so I'd like to avoid that if possible (although I've had RoadRunner for years.) What's the general consensus on Sling TV?

I guess my biggest worry is regarding the local networks. I really don't want to worry with splitting antenna signals to 3 different TVs but I'm not sure I have another option as the streaming services I've looked at only offer the On-Demand content and not really live TV from networks. Also, is there an affordable over-the-air DVR that anyone can suggest?

Get an HDHomeRun and the Channels app. It’ll stream locals to every connected TV in your home. No splitting necessary.

Funny. Four years later and we still have DirecTV and I still pay Spectrum for Internet. I still have never found a satisfactory solution to all my problems with ditching cable. I'll revisit this all again this next year...

And anytime I go to someone's house who has cut the cord it seems like they put up with such a hassle to save $80/mo. I think I'd switch back to cable the first time I had to deal with lag.

Can anyone with DirecTV Now tell me if networks and "cable" channels are in Dolby Digital? I've seen that some are, none are, and only PPV on the Google machine. Any firsthand help?

Can just pin this article, it's great.

http://www.businessinsider.com/stre...ion-vue-fubo-2017-8/#directv-now-continued-10

DirectTVNow looks baller, except for the lack of DVR or pause/rewinding. That's probably a non-starter. $5 HBO and already $10 cheaper than Vue with more channels. Also another $20/off per month if you bundle with AT&T Phone Service. Works out to $10 for Cable.

Buckets probably right, go with the vue. Youtube TV doesn't have my TNT/TBS's. Hulu may be worth looking into as I don't have netflix.

What are the recommendations on which device to use to connect to it?

Looks like DirectTVNow is getting the DVR service, and it was already the 2nd most used service. $5 HBO + additional discounts if you happen to have AT&T for the phone make it a pretty big winner.

Bump. Anyone have any suggestions on the best reasonably priced HD antenna?

Have not posted recently, but those interested in "Cutting the Cable Cord" should visit this website for information. I cut the cord in 2016, been using Direct TV Now DTVN though there are many other providers Sling, Fubo, P/S Vue, YouTube etc. (no contracts) that are available. From paying $170 mo. with cable/internet I now pay $80 mo.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/

I am moving soon and have wanted to cut the cord but just can't find the right package to suit everything i need. Also do not want to deal with any connection issues but maybe I'll give it a go.

Bob, you just encapsulated every interaction I ever had with TWC. I feel your pain.

Have not posted recently, but those interested in "Cutting the Cable Cord" should visit this website for information. I cut the cord in 2016, been using Direct TV Now DTVN though there are many other providers Sling, Fubo, P/S Vue, YouTube etc. (no contracts) that are available. From paying $170 mo. with cable/internet I now pay $80 mo.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/

I'd pull the trigger on Direct TV now, but apparently you can't rewind and fast forward? Meh

YouTube TV has been great. Only missing a couple channels that we had with Sling Blue/Orange combo. But $13 cheaper.

YouTube TV has been great. Only missing a couple channels that we had with Sling Blue/Orange combo. But $13 cheaper.

I just switched from PlayStation Vue. Channel lineup is mostly the same but YouTube TV has all the local channels. I also noticed it doesn't buffer as often. Vue would buffer about once a day but have had no issues at all with YouTube TV. Plus, I didn't have to do that song and dance to change, I just signed up for YouTube TV which comes with a week free trial, saw that I liked it, and cancelled the other.

I just switched from PlayStation Vue. Channel lineup is mostly the same but YouTube TV has all the local channels. I also noticed it doesn't buffer as often. Vue would buffer about once a day but have had no issues at all with YouTube TV. Plus, I didn't have to do that song and dance to change, I just signed up for YouTube TV which comes with a week free trial, saw that I liked it, and cancelled the other.

Been thinking about switching to PS Vue in the near future. Did you have any issues with it besides the buffering you mentioned, or did YouTube TV just fit better for you?

What channels does youtube TV not have that you wish that it did?

Back