• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

Not really a friend, just a guy that knows us and will talk (a lot - about a lot) when he sees us out. this was several weeks ago, and I wasn't really listening to him because I didn't know wtf he was talking about hence my question when I started reading this thread. He just said that he ditched cable and that this was loaded w/all types of programming Netflix, amazon, hulu, etc. He also mentioned that he got all the networks and espn.

The only way he's getting ESPN is through someone else's account.

what are you using? Roku, Chromecast?

Also, have heard good things about the Amazon Fire Stick. Anyone with first hand knowledge?

We've got the Fire Stick and I think it's pretty sweet. Really intuitive.

care to elaborate? Easy to navigate, set-up? Would you recommend it?

I have the Fire Stick and it is incredibly easy to set up. Has great wifi connection capabilities. The controller is nice and very responsive as well. Do recommend. No HBOGo, but they say they are going to add it in 2015.

There are some seriously uninformed motherfuckers on this thread, holy shit

COME OUT FROM UNDER THE ROCK PEOPLE

Are you using some shitty standalone service like Earthlink or are you still using the same ISP as the cable company like Time Warner or whatever? Can you get decent internet from a standalone ISP?

The standalone ISP's in Raleigh just license the same pathways that TWC uses (at least Earthlink does). It's the same service, billing just occurs from a different company.

Are you using some shitty standalone service like Earthlink or are you still using the same ISP as the cable company like Time Warner or whatever? Can you get decent internet from a standalone ISP?

AMERICA ONLINE. I can send you a disc if you want.

Will a smart TV pick up HD channels or do you still need that antenna to view live local stuff?

You need an antenna. I wouldn't waste the money on a Smart TV though. Chromecast, Fire Stick, AppleTV, etc are all MUCH better options. The user interface on smart TV's is often cludgy and slow, and they almost never get updated. The 3rd party solutions are constantly adding new apps, updating existing apps (this is important since NetFlix, Hulu, HBO Go, etc add new things over time), adding new content, improving their code and interface, etc.

I dropped cable and kept TWC for internet.

Ah see up here in Comcast country, it's basically the same price or cheaper to keep cable bundled.

The Comcast website shows you can get standalone 50 Mbps internet for $39.99 or 50 Mbps internet and Cable for $79.99...that's double the cost. Not exactly same price or cheaper. If you're going to bundle, the best deal looks like the $49.99 deal that includes 105 Mbps internet, local channels and HBO for $49.99.

Mine's TWC.

Back