• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

My fire stick drops sound now and then and nothing I do seems to matter. It comes and goes. I complained, finally, and got a credit. Going to try a roku.

Can just pin this article, it's great.

http://www.businessinsider.com/stre...ion-vue-fubo-2017-8/#directv-now-continued-10

DirectTVNow looks baller, except for the lack of DVR or pause/rewinding. That's probably a non-starter. $5 HBO and already $10 cheaper than Vue with more channels. Also another $20/off per month if you bundle with AT&T Phone Service. Works out to $10 for Cable.

Buckets probably right, go with the vue. Youtube TV doesn't have my TNT/TBS's. Hulu may be worth looking into as I don't have netflix.

What are the recommendations on which device to use to connect to it?

Last edited:
Leaning towards Fire TV and Hulu TV. Tons of on demand stuff. Talk me out of it, coordinating with Alexa sounds awesome.

Maybe I'm on the wrong thread for this question, since I'm not really cutting the cord. I have cable (fiber, actually) and I plan on keeping it. My issue is that Wake Forest sports are on ESPN3 like 90% of the time so I need a reliable way to get ESPN3 from my phone/computer to my big screen. Chromecast isn't cutting it. I know that the BC game most of the problems were on ESPN, but even when the ESPN feed was working my Chromecast feed sucked (and honestly always has). So I need a new device to get ESPN3 to my TV. Seems like my options are try the 2d gen Chromecast to see if that works better; get a Roku stick; or get a Fire stick. I don't want to pay any more dough for a monthly service, I just need a reliable streaming device, preferably with the WatchESPN app native as I have a hunch that will work better than Chromecast tab mirroring.

thoughts?

I've had good luck with the WatchESPN app on my Roku.

Chromecast old or new? Youtube TV refuses to work with the old ones, though ESPN cast from my phone had always worked fine for me.

Maybe I'm on the wrong thread for this question, since I'm not really cutting the cord. I have cable (fiber, actually) and I plan on keeping it. My issue is that Wake Forest sports are on ESPN3 like 90% of the time so I need a reliable way to get ESPN3 from my phone/computer to my big screen. Chromecast isn't cutting it. I know that the BC game most of the problems were on ESPN, but even when the ESPN feed was working my Chromecast feed sucked (and honestly always has). So I need a new device to get ESPN3 to my TV. Seems like my options are try the 2d gen Chromecast to see if that works better; get a Roku stick; or get a Fire stick. I don't want to pay any more dough for a monthly service, I just need a reliable streaming device, preferably with the WatchESPN app native as I have a hunch that will work better than Chromecast tab mirroring.

thoughts?

My fire stick has been rock solid. No problems.

Only issue is you can't cast from a web browser, but it's got tons of built in apps.

my fire stick has had no problems and seems to get pretty good range. my wifi router is in the basement and 1 floor up the fire stick never has problems, unlike my tv and directv both of which cant find internet regularly.

Has anyone else had sound issues with the fire stick? I finally gave up and set up my first roku. Happy so far.

Has anyone else had sound issues with the fire stick? I finally gave up and set up my first roku. Happy so far.
I have 2 fire sticks and a fire TV. No sound issues on any. I recommend the fire TV due to wired vs wireless internet. Also, load Kodi and pay for ipvanish.

My old chromecasts...all betas...are now utter garbage...have to power reset everytime before use...pos

i pulled the trigger on a Fire Stick since I have prime video and what not. They don't seem to sell the Fire TV box anymore. We'll see if it outperforms Chromecast.

Fire TV stick also is able to easily (i.e. read a guide online) install kodi and watch ... things ... for free

So, is Spectrum (formerly TWC in my area) the absolute devil or what?

I just cancelled my internet with them over some bullshit price creep over the last 6 months. Dude had the gall to tell me that in order to cancel service with them, I had to do an "exit interview." Like, bitch, that is not something I agreed to when your company bought the provider I loathed. Just cut the fucking wire - I'm not filling in your data monkey bullshit survey.

Last edited:
Spectrum is bombarding me with marketing materials en español. I almost want to call them to stop it, but have silently conceded that recycling their wasted letters is less stressful than one fucking phone call with those fucks.

We are gping to drop cable soon. Is it easier to drop Spectrum over the phone or at one of their stores? I'm not interested in talking retention.

And for those around Winston, if you get just internet with Spectrum, about what are you paying a month?

I'm paying $70 for 120/10, which seems ridiculous, but I can't work up the energy to speak to customer service.

I have issues with chromecast when streaming from my computer but not the espn3 app on my phone. No idea why. The computer stream works fine when I'm just watching on that and not the chromecast

Back