• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

This all sounds great to me. I'm paying too much for DirecTV.

Can you (or someone with comparable setup) walk me through exactly what equipment and programming I'd need to order? Thanks.

I have an older flat screen TV that I don't want to replace yet so I bought a Roku Premiere+ and use an ethernet cable to make sure it has a fast connection with no buffering. My modem is in my living room behind my TV so the location worked fine. I think the Roku I bought was $84. The wifi only version is like $65.

I compared between Hulu's new streaming option, Playstation Vue, and Sling. I thought Vue was the best option between them. Just sign up and install the app on the device. It's really easy. Roku's apps are very user friendly. Vue also allows you to watch on 5 devices at once.

For the antenna, I just went to Walmart and picked up an RCA amplified antenna (you have to plug it in) with a 55 mile range for like $32. Hook it up to the coax plug on the back, do a channel search on the TV after changing the input from cable to air, and then I had like 16 channels. My folks are going to drop cable too and I took it over to their house and hooked the antenna up in the basement and they got the same channels I'm getting with no issues.

It was easy for me to do this since I live alone and really only have the one TV. Costs could add up if you want access to everything on multiple sets but you would still probably come out cheaper in a few months.

I was paying $155 a month for internet and cable with Cox. Now my internet (100 mbps) will be $82 a month and Vue is $45 for the core package so I'm at $127 total. It's only $28 a month but that's $336 a year.

$8 a month for 100 mbps

Dat roommate life

Do you get ESPN3 (home of the Wake Forest Demon Deacons) with PS Vue?

Their Core package checks nearly all my boxes. And Red Zone for $10 during NFL season, yes please.

Edit: Sling has this, too, AND NHL Network. Hmmmmmm

Last edited:
ESPN3 is not on the list of channels with Vue. I think you can get it if you get the Watch ESPN App on Roku. I think by having internet service through most providers, you can get ESPN 3.

Espn 3 is never a channel as far as I can tell

You get access to it though

One thing that sucks about Vue is recording sports. There is no option to extend the recording, so if a sporting event runs over you lose the finish.

For the PGA, I left the tv on thinking I could rewind it but it didn't work. Also no luck recording the next show like the news or whatever.

I can't find a work around, let me know if you have one.

I tried the free month of YouTube's streaming tv service. Seemed really good, but I just don't watch enough tv to make it worth $35/month. I think I watched a total of 5 minutes of tv in that month.

So are there any good Sunday Ticket streaming options? It looks like you can only subscribe if you're not eligible for DirecTV

So are there any good Sunday Ticket streaming options? It looks like you can only subscribe if you're not eligible for DirecTV

You can get it if you are a student and I think just need an edu email. Might be worth a shot.

Looks like they have access to student records. They don't even ask for an email.

I may just ask a student and cut them a check.

I cut the cable last December. Great website that will walk you through all the questions of divorcing yourself from the cable providers. Whether you choose Vue, Sling, DirectvNow, You Tube, Hulu etc. this site provides the information you will need.

http://cordcuttersnews.com/

Alright, guys, I'm cutting the fucking cord! Better late than never.

Just ordered a Roku and OTA Antenna. And one of my buddies hooked me up with a Sling referral. Let's go!

I am getting really ticked at my Chromecast. Trying to watch sports on watchespn, I have fiber internet and a brand new blazing fast router which is like 10 feet from the cast. Still the Chromecast display is low-res and stutters frequently. Does this happen to everyone or do I just have a shitty Chromecast?

Stayed at apetits place 2 weekends ago. Why do you rubes deal with like buffering lags while watching game of thrones?

I am getting really ticked at my Chromecast. Trying to watch sports on watchespn, I have fiber internet and a brand new blazing fast router which is like 10 feet from the cast. Still the Chromecast display is low-res and stutters frequently. Does this happen to everyone or do I just have a shitty Chromecast?
Buy a fire TV. Plug it in with a cat 6 cable.

I think ESPN was having issues today. I had issues as well.

It's an ESPN problem today, though chromecast is the worst of the streaming devices

I have the original fire stick so it's a little dated but I've got a bunch of apps on it and they all work well

Back