• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

You really need to look at their list of channels and pick the one that best fits your viewing habits. YTTV is known for being strong on sports.

You Tube TV or Hulu bundled with Disney and ESPN +?

I watch more hockey than anything else so I'm leaning toward Hulu bundle with the NHL going to ESPN+ beginning next season. As long as I get Big 10 and SEC Network through Hulu, I think I'm good.

What say you OG Boards?

You Tube TV or Hulu bundled with Disney and ESPN +?

I watch more hockey than anything else so I'm leaning toward Hulu bundle with the NHL going to ESPN+ beginning next season. As long as I get Big 10 and SEC Network through Hulu, I think I'm good.

What say you OG Boards?

I obviously can't speak to your preferences, and the NHL played no part in my decision. However, I initially signed up for Hulu in large part due to the bundle. After less than a month, I realized that it was cheaper to get YTTV and the Hulu/ESPN/Disney bundle than it was to get Hulu Live with the bundle and unlimited DVR. In addition to being limited to 50 hours*, you're not able to fast forward through commercials on the base Hulu DVR, so that was a deal breaker for me.

*That probably won't be an issue for many people, but I currently have 270 items in my YTTV library, and automatically record any AFI top 100 or Best Picture winner that I see, and love being able to do that.

Did you set that up manually or can you do it automatically?

I have to do it manually, unfortunately. Once a week, I search for those terms and set it to record anything that pops up

All those replies re Hulu vs YTTV are helpful. I'm doing the 2-week YTTV trial now. It's funny that Hulu's ad campaign is a lot of athletes touting their live sports if that's more of a strong suit for YTTV.

Now Hulu changed it to “Hulu doesn’t just have live sports.”

I cut the chord with YTTV and have added Netflix and MLB. The only downside is the loss of the regional Fox Sports networks. Unlimited recording means never missing anything of interest. Total monthly cost is $100/month less than Spectrum. Then add the two additional households to the savings. One of my better decisions and it was prompted by this thread. Thanks all.

I cut the chord with YTTV and have added Netflix and MLB. The only downside is the loss of the regional Fox Sports networks. Unlimited recording means never missing anything of interest. Total monthly cost is $100/month less than Spectrum. Then add the two additional households to the savings. One of my better decisions and it was prompted by this thread. Thanks all.

Doesn’t YTTV have MLB? Or maybe you mean regional. How often will the lack of regional Fox Sports networks affect Wake viewing? I’m just glad to have ACCN after not having it with xfinity. Seems like that’s all we ever played on.

Doesn’t YTTV have MLB? Or maybe you mean regional. How often will the lack of regional Fox Sports networks affect Wake viewing? I’m just glad to have ACCN after not having it with xfinity. Seems like that’s all we ever played on.

I missed a couple of Wake basketball games. The bigger issue is no Braves or Hawks games. Which means the issue for me is no Braves games.

And Bally’s got rid of one of the better score bugs for an abomination. Takes up way too much space now & the light gray bar underneath the score seems to just keep getting bigger.

Missed three or four Deacon basketball games and two or three football games televised on Fox Sport South. Can watch a replay streaming on ESPN/ACC network. YTTV has the MLB channel. I purchased MLB season pass to get all the games. Decent trade off.

I tried both Hulu live and YTTV and I preferred the latter mainly because YouTube let me fast forward through commercials, whereas with Hulu it would stop and play ads every time I fast forwarded past a commercial break. Surprised me since YouTube is owned by an advertising company.

I obviously can't speak to your preferences, and the NHL played no part in my decision. However, I initially signed up for Hulu in large part due to the bundle. After less than a month, I realized that it was cheaper to get YTTV and the Hulu/ESPN/Disney bundle than it was to get Hulu Live with the bundle and unlimited DVR. In addition to being limited to 50 hours*, you're not able to fast forward through commercials on the base Hulu DVR, so that was a deal breaker for me.

*That probably won't be an issue for many people, but I currently have 270 items in my YTTV library, and automatically record any AFI top 100 or Best Picture winner that I see, and love being able to do that.

I think this is the way to go. Thanks for the heads up.

Just got an email from Roku that You Tube TV could end up disappearing from their platform. Sounds like their contract with Google is renewing and the two companies are having a pissing match. I use Roku in one fashion or other on our 3 TVs and YTTV for TV watching. Not sure if I would switch streaming providers or find a Roku alternative, if YTTV isn't available on Roku. It seems like both companies would be screwed in that situation, so hopefully they'll finally come to some agreement.

Why is this now a thing for companies to complain to their subscribers about their contract disagreements? Seems like ever since cutting cable for these services became a thing I have to get these childish emails that amount to one massive company telling on the other. What do you want me to do, post some inane tweet in your defense?

I don't think it's a complaint, per se -- I think it's a strategy to mobilize their platform users as leverage in the contract dispute

I get it but they comes across as hella lame to me. Especially given the emails I got from YouTube tv in the past whining about how Sinclair or Viacom or whoever had them in negotiations. I expect to get something similar soon about the unreasonable iron fist of roku

Back