• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

I think Roku may have the upper hand here as it seems easier to pivot from YTTV to, say, Hulu than Roku to, say, AppleTV

Yeah. I’ll just get cheap fire sticks to put in my Roku TVs. Just hate to see this nonsense. Avoiding this drama is one reason to cut the cord in the first place.

Roku and YTTV better make up by football season or both of them are getting dropped.

easy way to avoid platforms dropping apps - use chromecast. i think the only time i have had difficulty casting an app from my phone to tv was the NFL app. it can be used on chromecast but i think the app just was never working correctly, so I used my laptop instead. can't think of any other apps that i've had problems with.

Between Sinclair, price hikes, and Roku…is it time to start a re-attaching the cord thread?

Maybe recutting? It’s about time for someone to come up with a cheaper alternative to these not so cheaper alternatives.

Apparently this is all about a new video codec that google wants to force roku to support, even though it’s not even supported on Google’s highest end chromecast device.

https://arstechnica.com/?p=1761494

AV1 is the successor to Google's VP8 and VP9 video codecs, and development has moved from being an in-house Google project to an industry-backed "Alliance for Open Media." AV1's bandwidth-saving potential and royalty-free license have earned it backing from nearly every big video and hardware company, including Google, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Microsoft, Samsung, Intel, Facebook, Arm, Hulu, and a ton of other companies. Like all advanced video codecs, AV1 requires hardware decode support for playback on slower devices like streaming sticks, set-top boxes, and phones, hence all the allusions to "hardware" and "technical" requirements. Google has been pushing manufacturers to pack in these brand-new, more expensive SoCs so that it can roll out AV1 support to a wide audience.

Google is very enthusiastic about AV1. Bandwidth is a major cost of running YouTube, and anything that results in Google sending less data to play a video can save the company tons of cash. Google is so aggressive about switching to AV1 that it created its own video transcoding chip to make the work of re-encoding YouTube's massive video collection over to AV1 easier.

Despite Google's internal zeal for AV1, when it comes to streaming hardware, Roku is actually doing a better job supporting AV1 than Google. The official scoreboard shows that Roku has one AV1-compatible device, the $100 Roku Ultra, while Google sells zero AV1 streaming devices. Google's newest, most expensive dongle, the $50 Chromecast with Google TV, does not have a chip that supports AV1. Google has made AV1 support mandatory for Android TV devices, but again, those are other companies' devices. Google should be leading by example here, but it isn't.

No one has been able to get AV1 working on an inexpensive streaming box, and Roku's $100 Ultra is about the cheapest AV1 streaming box on the market. Roku goes way more down-market than that, though, and it does not seem like the company could offer the Roku Express at the current $29.99 MSRP if it had AV1 support.

Meh, getting blacked out to both Lakers and Dodgers sucks. Might go crawling back to Spectrum

How many streaming services do you have? Personally I am paying for cable, but then am also paying for
-Hulu (going to add Disney+ and ESPN+ for football season)
-Spotify
-Prime Video

I leach off family for Netflix and Apple TV, and I am probably going to add HBO Max.

This all seems like a lot.

Netflix
Hulu
Amazon Prime
Disney+ split a 3-year plan with 4 others in my family so it was like I dunno $30 or $50 or something
HBOMax as part of my AT&T plan
Peacock leached from a friend in exchange for our HBOMax password
AppleTV+ free for a year with new iPhone. Expires in Dec but I just a new work phone and I'll activate my free year in September so will have most of next year covered.

I feel like we don't watch too much of Hulu or Netflix these days, should probably cancel. Dunno how long I'll continue to get HBOMax since AT&T sold them off. Will probably pay for that one if I need to, though.

Spectrum cable…includes access to ESPN, HBO, etc. streaming.
Apple Music
Pandora
Disney+
Apple TV+
Amazon Prime
Netflix

I think that’s it.

I have a Roku account but don’t use it.

Too too many

- Sling
- Netflix
- Disney+
- Paramount
- HBO Max (free through att)
- Peacock (free through AMEX)
- Starz (through Amazon Prime) - its $2 a month, but I cant figure out how to cancel it
- Spotify

I just recently cancelled the Hulu, ESPN, Disney+ bundle and just use Disney+. I dont use any of them enough to justify it, but I convince myself if I use it at least 1x per month, its worth it. Debating about cancelling Sling, its the highest price and I maybe watch real TV a couple of times a month.

Too too many

- Sling
- Netflix
- Disney+
- Paramount
- HBO Max (free through att)
- Peacock (free through AMEX)
- Starz (through Amazon Prime) - its $2 a month, but I cant figure out how to cancel it
- Spotify

I just recently cancelled the Hulu, ESPN, Disney+ bundle and just use Disney+. I dont use any of them enough to justify it, but I convince myself if I use it at least 1x per month, its worth it. Debating about cancelling Sling, its the highest price and I maybe watch real TV a couple of times a month.

I got hulu as a free add on to Spotify. I am justifying ESPN + as I live in Texas and it will be cheaper adding it than adding all the channels I will need to watch Wake football this fall. Also, Hulu, Spotify, Disney + and ESPN +, all for 18 makes sense to me.

HBOMax may be worth it because of the movies coming out this year,

I didn't even mention NFL Network, which I would use because the only NFL team I care to watch is the Patriots, but the NFL network price tag is just too high.

You can get ACCN with ESPN+?

I get it as part of my spectrum silver package.

Not sure how it works if you’re subscribing ESPN+ outside of some similar bundle

Back