• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

I would like to cut the cord and retain Wake sports (live in FL) and the Golf Channel. Pretty much everything else is optional, though some kids channels and soccer is okay too. Does anyone share those goals and have a suggestion? Thanks.

YouTubeTV has both Golf Channel and ACC Network (along with the ESPNs) so that would likely be your best bet.. Not sure if Hulu Live has Golf Channel..

Thanks, both look to have similar options. ACCN plus regional sports is key, so we will likely go with YouTubeTV.

I think I'm ditching Sling for YTTV. The price and channel lineups are essentially the same, but the unlimited DVR is a ridiculous kicker.

Sling recently dropped the Fox Sports Regionals (it's unclear how long this dispute may last) and they don't have an agreement with the ACCN yet, either. To be sure, I'll miss the NFL/NHL Networks and RedZone.

Going to start my free trial today just to confirm my initial feelings.

Is YTTV watchable on Amazon fire stick yet? I’m getting ready to cut spectrum and pretty sure I’m going with YTTV. Think I’d rather get the fire stick to link with Alexa rather than a Roku. But I’d read that Google and Amazon were having a spat that has since been resolved and that YTTV would be available on the fire stick “soon,” whatever that meant.

Or is the voice linking stupid and I should just go with a Roku?

Eh I have a Chromecast but I’d rather have the remote and interface of one of the better devices. I’ll use the Chromecast for my basement tv I rarely use

Eh I have a Chromecast but I’d rather have the remote and interface of one of the better devices. I’ll use the Chromecast for my basement tv I rarely use

Have fun typing in your search one letter at a time using the arrow keys!

I bought the Roku TV -- I'd have to buy the Chromecast

anyways, Chromecast stream is less reliable in my experience

My brother gave me a login to his YTTV account a while back so I can watch Braves games. I use it exclusively with Chromecast and have never had a problem, however if we went this way for TV service on the whole I'd get a Roku for the most watched TVs.

I have a roku and a chromecast. The roku is used everyday. The chromecast is collecting dust. Doesn't even compare.

Random question...

I have a hard drive with hundreds of Disney movies for my kids... .avi format. Only player that works is my XBox One. Roku (and others) don't support playback of .avi files.

Anybody know of a workaround (or a different streaming device) other than converting the files to a different format?

Random question...

I have a hard drive with hundreds of Disney movies for my kids... .avi format. Only player that works is my XBox One. Roku (and others) don't support playback of .avi files.

Anybody know of a workaround (or a different streaming device) other than converting the files to a different format?

A WD TV should fit the bill out of the box, if you can get your hands on one. Otherwise your best bet is likely a Kodi-loaded Fire Stick, Raspberry Pi or some sort of HTPC build, all of which would take some effort to set up

Back