• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

My daughter is living on a very meager budget in her first job. She spends an excessive amount of $$$ each month for cable, so she's going to ditch it and go with Sling TV and and a simple HD antenna. My question: what is the minimum internet speed requirement to stream TV?

My daughter is living on a very meager budget in her first job. She spends an excessive amount of $$$ each month for cable, so she's going to ditch it and go with Sling TV and and a simple HD antenna. My question: what is the minimum internet speed requirement to stream TV?
We have a small is (morris broadband) here near asheville and our Internet is 12 Mbs. It steams fine. I would check out www.dtv.gov to check the address for over the air (antenna) signal. We used a mohu leaf (50 from Walmart ) for our antenna. Kodi is freeware which is used for home media centers: very neat but not necessary. I built our home media center using kodi- frankly I would skip it for the average user. Sling seems like a good option.

We have a small is (morris broadband) here near asheville and our Internet is 12 Mbs. It steams fine. I would check out www.dtv.gov to check the address for over the air (antenna) signal. We used a mohu leaf (50 from Walmart ) for our antenna. Kodi is freeware which is used for home media centers: very neat but not necessary. I built our home media center using kodi- frankly I would skip it for the average user. Sling seems like a good option.

This is about right. Depending on location she may have to experiment with antennas. I'm in Winston and my indoor antenna signals were always spotty until I mounted it on the roof, now it's great. Agree with Kodi being useful for some purposes, but a Roku+SlingTV plus some combination of Netflix+Hulu+Amazon Prime should give her most of what she needs without the headache that I've found Kodi to be (primarily in watching sports).

Thanks, all. She has Chromecast, so won't need Roku. She has Hulu, too. Appreciate your help

I have both and never use the chromecast anymore for the simple fact that a remote with physical buttons >>>>>>>>> unlocking your smartphone to pause the video or navigate through netflix or whatever.

It's the holidays. There'll be a good deal on a roku. Get her a present she can use

What is Kodi?

Kodi is a media center program that can run on all types og platforms, windows, apple, android, game consoles etc. The have channels called add ons that range from HBO, Showtime. Abc , Nbc to the sports leagues and ppv. The amazon fire stick is the cheapest device that will run Kodi. And for those non geeks a quick youtube search for kodi and the tvmc addons also known as fusion will get you every television show, movie and sporting event.

I have both and never use the chromecast anymore for the simple fact that a remote with physical buttons >>>>>>>>> unlocking your smartphone to pause the video or navigate through netflix or whatever.

It's the holidays. There'll be a good deal on a roku. Get her a present she can use

Agree on the Roku. It's become our go to streaming platform.

Chromecast is useful for filling in the gaps that roku can't, like casting Golf Channel.

Sling on Chromecast is still "soon", that will help, but yeah for now the Roku stick gets the most work.

Great idea. Thanks.

So I bought my daughter 3 months of Sling TV, with the Roku stick and remote. Thanks for the recommendation, though, annoyingly, the package never arrived and it had to be shipped again. She'll get it next week.

A related question: she cut off her cable this weekend and now is using only an HD antenna. A while back, I got her a slingbox as well (we want to watch her local news for reasons I won't go into here). Can a slingbox be connected to her network if she's only using an antenna at this point? Dumb question, I'm sure, but because I don't have one here I can't figure it out. Grazie.

Shetland-Helicopter-Crash-RMT-Calls-for-Improved-Safety-Regime.jpg

Cutting the cord on Monday, February 1st.

Dropped AT&T Uverse (was going from $185 to $220/month, even w/ all of the promos they added and begging I did).

Went to Xfinity for 250mbps internet + HBO & local channels for $59.99. Keeping Netflix & Amazon Prime and adding Hulu (w/o commercials) & Sling TV (paying the extra $5 for sports package).

Will be running everything through my Xbox One. Everything together should cost me $110/month.

Anyone see any problems w/ that? Besides the obvious issue of not having a DVR (which doesn't yet bother me)

Cutting the cord on Monday, February 1st.

Dropped AT&T Uverse (was going from $185 to $220/month, even w/ all of the promos they added and begging I did).

Went to Xfinity for 250mbps internet + HBO & local channels for $59.99. Keeping Netflix & Amazon Prime and adding Hulu (w/o commercials) & Sling TV (paying the extra $5 for sports package).

Will be running everything through my Xbox One. Everything together should cost me $110/month.

Anyone see any problems w/ that? Besides the obvious issue of not having a DVR (which doesn't yet bother me)

Amazon Prime is 1/2 price for students so that would save you about $5 a month.

Is there a Sling app for Xbox? I guess they probably still send you a free Roku when you subscribe anyway.

Back