• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

Anybody got any opinions on HD antennas? Are the best inside or outside or does it matter?

This is a cop out answer but it depends on where you live. I'd suggest starting with the inside antennas and if those don't work, then upgrade.

I live in the middle of the city and my inside antenna can be hit or miss. If you can do outside or attic installation, just go ahead and do it.

Fed up with TWC/Spectrum after they TWC told me last year my rate would never change (that was the "promotion") and now it changed (Spectrum saying that TWC lied and its a new company now so nothing they can do).

Can someone give me the quick version of the conclusions of this thread? I'm not technical so the easier the better. I can probably do an antenna in the window and run to one of our TVs for local networks (my biggest concern is watching WF football/basketball when it's blacked out on watchESPN, though FSN games could throw a wrench in this), but what other options (aside from borrowing logins) are out there for ESPN and other sport networks (golf channel is a must).

SlingTV sounds interesting but their website sucks and won't tell you what you will be paying.

I may try to go to NorthState for a year to get a good deal and use that time to decide on what other options there are, but if there's a consensus already I may be able to make the switch now.

Fed up with TWC/Spectrum after they TWC told me last year my rate would never change (that was the "promotion") and now it changed (Spectrum saying that TWC lied and its a new company now so nothing they can do).

Can someone give me the quick version of the conclusions of this thread? I'm not technical so the easier the better. I can probably do an antenna in the window and run to one of our TVs for local networks (my biggest concern is watching WF football/basketball when it's blacked out on watchESPN, though FSN games could throw a wrench in this), but what other options (aside from borrowing logins) are out there for ESPN and other sport networks (golf channel is a must).

SlingTV sounds interesting but their website sucks and won't tell you what you will be paying.

I may try to go to NorthState for a year to get a good deal and use that time to decide on what other options there are, but if there's a consensus already I may be able to make the switch now.

There is no one size fits all option. You have to decide what content is important to you and then pick your hardware and service combos based on that information. There is some up front cost and labor to get it all situated...but it's worth it in the end.

ETA: somewhere smallbigtall is laughing since he was way ahead of the curve on me on this topic.

There is no one size fits all option. You have to decide what content is important to you and then pick your hardware and service combos based on that information. There is some up front cost and labor to get it all situated...but it's worth it in the end.

ETA: somewhere smallbigtall is laughing since he was way ahead of the curve on me on this topic.

Know there are plenty of options. I'm not going to be tapping in to existing wiring or anything. Biggest thing for me is sports. I can likely satisfy my wife with Hulu for prime time shows. Would rather not need to get Apple TV and fire stick and roku and have to remember what's on each. From limited research it seems like Vue is the better option over Sling and that coupled with an antenna should be ok. If anyone has sling vs vue thoughts they would be appreciated.

Also, anyone have north state for tv and internet? Seems like I can save $30 a month just going to them even after the initial trial period ends and not have to deal with the above options.

I'm p happy with antenna, roku, ps vue/Netflix.

PS vue has a p sweet channel lineup especially for sports. The two annoying things are that the interface is kind of annoying and the dvr/tv fast forward rewind does not show the content so you have to guess when the commercials end.

I'm also looking for the condensed version of this thread. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I want NFL & NCAA sports w/out the cable bill. Is Sling "Blue" my best option? Thanks!

I'm switching to Hulu live this sport season I'm already paying 9 bucks a month for Hulu now I can get it for 40 including all the ESPN channels and all the Fox sports channels cbs and nbc sports channel

To get really full coverage on sling you would need both blue and orange for 40 bucks plus the additional sports package to get ESPNU extra 5

I'm also looking for the condensed version of this thread. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I want NFL & NCAA sports w/out the cable bill. Is Sling "Blue" my best option? Thanks!

+1 for ps vue here. Agree w Rubbin' - the interface is a bit wonky but channel selection is great and dvr feature is a winner vs other platforms.

I have vue and like it

You can get Sunday Ticket as an app on the Amazon box/stick I think

Sucky for now. Like $85 for TWC. But we are about to get North state fiber for 70

I just dropped cable last week. I've had 3 of the major cable companies (TWC, Comcast, and Cox). Cox was by far the best but still sucks. I picked up a cheap digital antenna for like $30 and get all the networks and several other channels. I got a Roku box and signed up for Playstation Vue for $45 a month. It comes with my local CBS station, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN U, ESPN News, Fox Sports 1 and 2, Golf, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, Olympic Channel, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Honestly, it has more channels than I watch but is cheaper than cable. I'm very happy with it.

I just dropped cable last week. I've had 3 of the major cable companies (TWC, Comcast, and Cox). Cox was by far the best but still sucks. I picked up a cheap digital antenna for like $30 and get all the networks and several other channels. I got a Roku box and signed up for Playstation Vue for $45 a month. It comes with my local CBS station, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN U, ESPN News, Fox Sports 1 and 2, Golf, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, Olympic Channel, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Honestly, it has more channels than I watch but is cheaper than cable. I'm very happy with it.

This all sounds great to me. I'm paying too much for DirecTV.

Can you (or someone with comparable setup) walk me through exactly what equipment and programming I'd need to order? Thanks.

This all sounds great to me. I'm paying too much for DirecTV.

Can you (or someone with comparable setup) walk me through exactly what equipment and programming I'd need to order? Thanks.
Buy an Amazontv or roku or appletv

Install the app on the box you bought

You're done

I think that works too if the app is available to download onto the stick

Amazon also makes a little box that's a step up from the stick

Back