• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

To the wireless question - answer is no. I have a pretty strong home network, media server, etc. Anything media/streaming is wired. It's easier to auto-schedule most network shows via torrent than the cloud-based DVR services in most cases. I'm a big Plex fan and run most things through an Xbox One. I've read that the Sling app is worse on the Xbox than over other mediums, but I have a new Roku stick that's not much better.

And don't get me wrong, it's often very good. But I don't rate streaming TV services as great when they're 90% great. 10% of the time there's pixelation, delays, glitches, hiccups, excessive buffering, etc - despite a very solid 250Mbit internet connection. Simply not good enough. Plus, we caved and got an X1 DVR from Comcast with the upgraded internet... Total bill is around $100. So as a baseline dropping TV but keeping internet is still around $60, so a streaming service needs to be under $40 and at least as good as the basic Comcast lineup to make sense. I just don't think it's all that close.

Will being on a fiber network be significantly
Better than a 50 Mbs network for those trying to cut the cord? I don’t have multiple devices.

What channels does youtube TV not have that you wish that it did?

HGTV and CMT (some show called Nashville) are what my wife misses out on.

But over the air channels are included, and best yet, one account works at all of our homes. So I went from paying $100 plus at each of our homes down to $35 a month total.

What do you guys do when every device in the house is connected to WiFi and you are relying on your Rokus or Firesticks to stream from the WiFi? Serious question, as this is a problem I am anticipating when/if the cord is cut and I'm not exactly tech savvy when it comes to making my WiFi hum (plus I forgot my administrator password for the modem, so oops).

Will being on a fiber network be significantly
Better than a 50 Mbs network for those trying to cut the cord? I don’t have multiple devices.

In theory it shouldn't really matter. For streaming you don't need that much bandwidth. Only thing would be if you do get some slow down on your 50 down then you have less bandwidth to lose before you might run into a problem. However, if it's even working close to where it should be the only difference you might notice is that your show might start faster on fiber, or at least scale up to the best resolution faster. Likely, you'd never really know the difference as the end user though.

Can someone tell me about YouTubeTV? The last little siff leaves for college next Saturday. We moved from an outrageous DirecTV bill about a year ago to a nearly equally bad Spectrum cable bill. We pay about $200/month, IIRC, for cable and internet. YouTubeTV is $40/month plus add ons (I'd add Fox Soccer Plus for $15). Anyone using this service? It includes local broadcast networks which saves the hassle of an antenna, and includes 6 memberships. Sorry if this was discussed earlier. I barely watch TV anyway. The cost of cable/satellite and cell phones is fucking outrageous.

I've used Youtube TV for about 4 months or so now I think. I like it a lot, it's got everything I need, all the local channels, sports channels etc. Like you I don't watch a ton of tv anyways, I really only watch sports live, the gf will watch some other stuff but I've never wanted to watch something and not had that channel so far. Redzone is not offered I believe and that's the only thing I'm worried about.

How does YouTube TV work with the local channels? Specifically wondering what happens for ACC football/basketball when Raycom takes over std CBS/NBC/etc. Does youtube tv show the raycom feeds?

How does YouTube TV work with the local channels? Specifically wondering what happens for ACC football/basketball when Raycom takes over std CBS/NBC/etc. Does youtube tv show the raycom feeds?

From what I understand, the local broadcast networks are included.

I've used Youtube TV for about 4 months or so now I think. I like it a lot, it's got everything I need, all the local channels, sports channels etc. Like you I don't watch a ton of tv anyways, I really only watch sports live, the gf will watch some other stuff but I've never wanted to watch something and not had that channel so far. Redzone is not offered I believe and that's the only thing I'm worried about.

Thank you

I've had it for a few months now and it has everything I want or need. It doesn't have Discovery but I haven't missed it. I mean, how many seasons of crab fishing do I need to watch? Local networks are great on it and I've gotten Raycom broadcasts on it. I've not experienced any lag or buffering at all. I had Playstation Vue before and liked it but it did not have all the local channels and had some buffering at times.

Former cord-cutter that went back to Comcast Xfinity two years ago. Just re-upped my contract for another 2 years... $104.99 gets me 300mbps & 140+ channels w/ DVR. Including taxes & stuff, it's like $125/month. Of course, I also still pay for Netflix (& Amazon Prime).

Cutting the cord was fine for me, but not worth the hassle of dealing with complaints from my wife (& kids). Made a lot of sense when I had AT&T and was paying ~$200... At ~$125, it is a lot easier to swallow. And X1 is pretty sweet... So easy to use.

Former cord-cutter that went back to Comcast Xfinity two years ago. Just re-upped my contract for another 2 years... $104.99 gets me 300mbps & 140+ channels w/ DVR. Including taxes & stuff, it's like $125/month. Of course, I also still pay for Netflix (& Amazon Prime).

Cutting the cord was fine for me, but not worth the hassle of dealing with complaints from my wife (& kids). Made a lot of sense when I had AT&T and was paying ~$200... At ~$125, it is a lot easier to swallow. And X1 is pretty sweet... So easy to use.

No Xfinity here, no FIOS...it's TWC/Spectrum, "Windstream" cable, or DTV.

Have spectrum paying ~200/ month. Switching next week to North State fiber to drop bill to around 150. Next step is cutting entirely but know I’ll be dealing with complaints from wife so probably won’t get to that point.

We recently upgraded to AT&T Fiber internet at the lowest level (around 120mbps) and our Roku stick streams Netflix like a champ. DirecTV contract runs out next month, so I'm going to be dropping it all together at that point. Trying to decide on streaming options now, but YouTube TV seems to have most of what I would want covered, and works on the Roku.

Anyone have any experience using a mifi device? Looking at internet options for a vacation place. There is no fiber availability and the local rural cable carrier apparently sucks. Seems to me that if I could get good speeds on a prepaid mifi, i could basically just use the data i need when I'm up there on weekends during the season and not have a monthly fee to pay when I'm not around.

Just switched back from Hulu to Hulu live in anticipation of football/basketball season.

Anyone have any experience using a mifi device? Looking at internet options for a vacation place. There is no fiber availability and the local rural cable carrier apparently sucks. Seems to me that if I could get good speeds on a prepaid mifi, i could basically just use the data i need when I'm up there on weekends during the season and not have a monthly fee to pay when I'm not around.

Just up your data plan on your personal cell phone for the times you're there (even "unlimited plans" are upgradable to larger hotspot allotments). Unless you're streaming video you might already have a plan with enough. If you're streaming video, any cellular option isn't going to be practical for more than a couple days.

Back